SCOTUS decision on Prop 8

As a country we tried "separate but equal". It's unconstitutional and wrong. Thank goodness the SCOTUS saw that.

I'm not promoting secession but I expect the overall decline of our country will continue at an accelerated rate. :(

That is what they said back on the ruling of Loving vs. Virginia.
Reba and Txgolfer, how would you react if your child told you they were gay?
Being gay is exactly like being straight.............the ONLY difference is the gender of the people involved.
My feelings for Hannah, Stef, Maureen, Jocelyn and McInnis are the SAME as my best friend's feelings for her male romantic partners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being gay is exactly like being straight.............the ONLY difference is the gender of the people involved.
My feelings for Hannah, Stef, Maureen, Jocelyn and McInnis are the SAME as my best friend's feelings for her male romantic partners.

I think that TXGolfer reaffirmed that he favors gay marriage but... he strongly believe in state rights - let state make decision on marriage.

For Reba, there aren't much for you and I do because her belief doesn't agree with gay marriage. You may share about your experience with her and she may understand, but nothing is changing because her belief is more important to her.

For me, I oppose to death penalty due to my belief and no one could change my mind - pretty same with Reba on gay marriage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am happy for my friends in the GLBT community. :)

I was very happy to see this get passed. Now my sisters can get federal benifits. WOOHOO!

As a country we tried "separate but equal". It's unconstitutional and wrong. Thank goodness the SCOTUS saw that.
That can hardly to compared to the present decision.

A person's color can't be compared to a person's sexual life.

I would continue to love my child and pray for that child. That doesn't mean I would support laws that would encourage my child to continue in his or her sin.

No, it isn't.

Right there is another problem. "Romantic partners" in plural. But that's another topic.

Also, I hope that you have permission to use their names on a public forum.

That can hardly to compared to the present decision.

A person's color can't be compared to a person's sexual life.

Really? So are you saying that you think that sexual orientation, unlike color, is a choice? So that if you *wanted* to, you could become a woman who feels sexually attracted to women? (I'm not talking about who you choose to sleep with. I'm talking about your deepest feelings of attraction to another person. Are you saying you control that? That you could be a lesbian and deeply love a woman in the same way that you can love a man, not just in a platonic way, but fully, with the drive and passion for a sexual connection included in that?)

If not, if you feel that you were born straight, that you are deeply and unalterably straight, then, well, sorry. That's very much like color.

You can respond by arguing that how you feel and what you do are separate things, so that you draw a line between orientation and behavior, but if you're not living a double life (i.e., your orientation and behavior match) then it's pretty disrespectful to ask others to do so.

And still not so different from color. I could get up every morning and put fake color all over my body, wear a black curly wig and make other adjustments as to how I present myself, but that would be a miserable, exhausting way to live. As would repressing one's sexual orientation.

Last edited:
Really? So are you saying that you think that sexual orientation, unlike color, is a choice? So that if you *wanted* to, you could become a woman who feels sexually attracted to women? (I'm not talking about who you choose to sleep with. I'm talking about your deepest feelings of attraction to another person. Are you saying you control that? That you could be a lesbian and deeply love a woman in the same way that you can love a man, not just in a platonic way, but fully, with the drive and passion for a sexual connection included in that?)
Yes.

If not, if you feel that you were born straight, that you are deeply and unalterably straight, then, well, sorry. That's very much like color.
Color is not a behavior.

You can respond by arguing that how you feel and what you do are separate things, so that you draw a line between orientation and behavior, but if you're not living a double life (i.e., your orientation and behavior match) then it's pretty disrespectful to ask others to do so just because theirs don't.
That's your opinion, not my belief.

And still not so different from color. I could get up every morning and put fake color all over my body, wear a black curly wig and make other adjustments as to how I present myself, but that would be a miserable, exhausting way to live. As would repressing one's sexual orientation.
Still not the same thing. You're comparing an outward appearance with inward feelings and thoughts, and behaviors. You're also comparing a temporary surface change with a permanent internal change.

Apples to oranges.

It's hardly apples to oranges.

Discrimination in any form should not be tolerated. When, as a country, we did not allow African-Americans the same rights as whites or women the same rights as men we were discriminating. As a country, we have been doing the same thing with straight vs. gay people.

Our children's children will be SHOCKED that there was a day that gay people were not afforded the same rights. Just as I am that there was a day women were not given the same rights as men.

Some areas where gay families lost children to CPS, fosters, etc... No one should bear that such situation.

Amy and Kat I love who you both said, very well worded! I came out with my family and they are all supportive, I'm lucky. Sure I could go back to dating men again, but I would not be Honest with myself and feel like I was living a lie as I've always Did. Dont get me wrong I've had some good and some bad relationship In both sexes and was worth the experience but I am proud to say I am A lesbian. I know in my heart that's who I am and I owe no one an Apology for living how I want to live as it us my life and journey. It Does not make me evil or sick, it makes me strong following my own Path and not what society expects of me. Everyone straight gay lesbian And transgendered deserves the right to happiness.

Some areas where gay families lost children to CPS, fosters, etc... No one should bear that such situation.

Yes, I agree with you and the discrimination against on gay couples are prevalent in some area.

Discrimination in any form should not be tolerated. When, as a country, we did not allow African-Americans the same rights as whites or women the same rights as men we were discriminating. As a country, we have been doing the same thing with straight vs. gay people.

Our children's children will be SHOCKED that there was a day that gay people were not afforded the same rights. Just as I am that there was a day women were not given the same rights as men.

So true....Gosh, imagine that deaf people weren't allowed to marry each other by AGBell`s standards!

We are going through a sea change. You saw the same stuff with interracal marriage .....its the same stuff, different day.

We are going through a sea change. You saw the same stuff with interracal marriage .....its the same stuff, different day.
No, it isn't the same thing.

I also know many black people who are extremely offended to have the two compared together.

Well, I never understand why gay families can't children as their own? Is it because it's immoral for them to have a family? Well, at the least, marriage is legal for all genders in CA, so no more separation between gay parents and children. ... Hopefully.

No, it isn't the same thing.

I also know many black people who are extremely offended to have the two compared together.

My husband is not. He is thrilled that people in the GLBT community are finally getting the same opportunities as black people did during the civil rights movement.

Back