Rottweilers Involved In Most Fatal Attacks....

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bad Dog:
Report Says Rottweilers Involved in Most Fatal Attacks
By Erin McClam The Associated Press

September 15, 2000

ATLANTA - Rottweilers have passed pit bulls as America’s deadliest dog breed, according to a study released today. The large dogs were involved in 33 fatal attacks on humans between 1991 and 1998, the American Veterinary Medical Association said. Pit bulls, which had been responsible for more deaths than any other breed, were involved in 21 fatal attacks over the same period.

Protectors Turned Maulers
Rottweilers, first bred in Germany, surged in popularity during the 1990s as more people sought them for protection, said Jeffrey J. Sacks, an epidemiologist with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “People are more in fear of crime and violence, and this has led to a selection of bigger dogs,” he said. “If you start selecting bigger dogs, you’ll get bigger bites.” The study’s authors, using data from the Humane Society of the United States and media accounts of dog maulings, reported 27 people — 19 of them children — died from dog attacks in 1997 and 1998. The numbers highlight widespread mistreatment of dogs and a growing public ignorance of how to behave around them, researchers said. They blamed adults for not teaching children to stay away from unfamiliar dogs. “It’s not a Rottweiler problem or a pit bull problem,” said Randall Lockwood, the Humane Society’s vice president for research and educational outreach. “It’s a people problem.”

Busy Families, Lack of Training
The annual number of reported fatal attacks has not varied widely in the past 20 years, the study said. But overall attacks are on the rise — likely because families are busier, leaving them less time to train their dogs and watch their children. “A dog has to have its behavior monitored and consequences put in place,” Sacks said. “People don’t seem to have a lot of time in their lives for that.” Pit bulls led all breeds for fatal attacks between 1979 and 1998, with at least one pit bull involved in 66 mauling deaths, the study said. Rottweilers were blamed for 37 — most of those in the 1990s — followed by German shepherds with 17 and huskies with 15. Researchers cautioned the breakdown does not necessarily indicate which dogs provide the highest risk of fatal attacks because incomplete registration of dogs and mixed breeds make it hard to determine how many of each type of dog Americans own.

Copyright 2000 The Associated Press

http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/animal/2000/dog_attack_report.html

and its a no wonder im not keen on pit bulls, rottweilers or dobermans cuz they DO have a history of mauling others be it humans or other animals even if they have been "trained" IMO

large dog breeds i prefer golden or black labs, golden retrievers and german shepherds -- i grew up with a few german shepherds that were trained K-9 (police) since my dad was a cop and he loved working with the K-9 unit -- i have the first dog's dog tag/badge on my keychain and i keep it there along with his hero dog award dog tag given to him by the county humane society from 1980 -- i miss that dog greatly -- he died in the early to mid 80s which broke my sister and my hearts -- i grew up with this particular dog from the time i was age 1 til he retired from the department when i was 12 or 13 -- his name was Mutzley but answered to "Mutt" cuz i had a lil difficulty pronouncing the name when i was younger -- he was such a GOOD dog -- he knew the difference between on-duty and off-duty

*babbling going down memory lane* :cry: i LOVED that dog! :(

Well, I would NEVER accept kind of dog fighters like that when I know that I have never time for them since I have family, that's why I prefer family dog like golden or black labs, golden retrievers etc.

The owners should think TWICE before own them because of their time to educate dog fighters. I'm wondering to myself either I can have my time to educate dog fighters become loving pet to neglect my famliy or not???? NO WAY!!! .

It's unfair to own dog fighters when I know I would NEVER time for dogs since I have family. I rather spend my time to educate my children to become caring people than dog fighters!!!

I think childless couple or single or pension are suitable to own dog fighters because they have plenty time to educate them.

Last edited:
VamPyroX said:
No shit! You should see Man's Best Friend! ;)

Oh yeah, I remmy that movie , chit that movie scared me to death, I remmy I couldn't sleep that night!

Me too Flyfree, I love labs and golden retrievers dogs but I'm still scare of pitbulls and rottweilers dogs no matter how friendly some can be....Those types of dogs that I could never own as a pet....I'm sorry :(

hyperSONICized said:
IF the owners treat pitbulls, rottweilers, dobermans properly, they would be fine.

Correct. I have several friends who have pitbulls and rotiwellers -- both are such sweetheart dogs!

It really depends on the owners on how they raise and train their dogs.

Another good thread again ^Angel^! :thumb:

These types of dogs sure can get quite aggressive when provoked or when they bite...a couple of problems that tend to stand out seem to be: lack of training and lack of time or attention...simply put, if a person don't have the time to train or give a dog attention it needs, then that person would do best by not owning a dog especially the aforementioned breeds stated here in this thread!

I used to live with a family that owned a Rottweiler and I never had any problems approaching this dog or being around this particular dog...since he was being treated well and supervised accordingly too...but now that I'm with ^Angel^, I respect her own feelings about having this sort of dog or any other kind that she don't feel comfortable with, I won't let that happen...but we'll get a cute fuzzy wuzzy furball...heh heh... ;) I do know what her favorite is...*ahems*...it's a chocolate lab, *looks over @ ^Angel^*...umm...do you know what kind I like? Scroll down and find out when she responds to this.... :lol: (oh...I'll be sure to announce it when I do go shopping one day and grab a cute chocolate lab puppy.... :cool: )

Roadrunner said:
*looks over @ ^Angel^*...umm...do you know what kind I like? Scroll down and find out when she responds to this.... :lol:

:rofl: haha very cute Roadierunner.... :kiss:

I don't remmy the breed name of that dog but it looks like a wolf type of dog with light blue eyes almost look like the color of the sky....am I correct honey?... :fingersx:

hyperSONICized said:
IF the owners treat pitbulls, rottweilers, dobermans properly, they would be fine.

This is TRUE...my grandpa used to own doberman even myself ....they LOVED children and played like friendly and playful dog...no bite or no cruelity...because it is well trained and treated wll....but I refuse own pitbulls anyway...

^Angel^ said:

I don't remmy the breed name of that dog but it looks like a wolf type of dog with light blue eyes almost look like the color of the sky....am I correct honey?... :fingersx:

That kind of breed is Sybrien Husky. My brother in law James have that dog named Diego. :mrgreen:

I have a pitbull puppy.. He's a sweet heart... It all depends on how you raise that puppy. if you raise him to be a fighter, he'll be a fighter.. Pitbulls are very sweet dogs, they just have a very bad reputation that's all.

^Angel^ said:

Well done ^Angeldearie^...it's a Siberian Husky...a wolf-like type of dog...blue eyed and a light multi-colored coat....

:aw: One of these days...we'll be able to take 'our' dogs for nice leisurely walks under warm moonlit skies.... :cuddle:

I believe I already have a name for the kind of dog I would like to have and it would be 'Chaka'.... :D

WildKaTReSS-- you were right, :thumb: and they can be great dogs too, huh?!

Back