Restaurant see profits triple after ditch tipping

Kind of a side note; but I was real put out with one of the church dinners here that started charging more for a carryout dinner than the same one as a eat in dinner. It turns out that Catholic Parish was using the combination plate/trays from the school and washing them. So, unlike the churches that have dinners and use disposable plates they DO have an additional cost for carryouts.
When our Baptist church has dinners it doesn't charge for take out containers. Very few people take out anyway. The idea is to fellowship while dining, so most people stay. We use regular plates, cups and flatware, not disposable.

Another regional difference:

In SC, unlimited free refills for fountain beverages (ice tea, soda, water, coffee); in CT, we had to pay for every soda refill--we were shocked! :lol:

Same in Alabama - free refill and no charge for take out.

Denny's-to-Go has the same price as eat-in, with no extra charge. (Tip? Up to you)

When our Baptist church has dinners it doesn't charge for take out containers. Very few people take out anyway. The idea is to fellowship while dining, so most people stay. We use regular plates, cups and flatware, not disposable.

My United Church of Christ congregation had a very big Wurstmart (sausage dinner — the term comes from the German immigrants that started our local church) starting in the early 1950's that used china for many years. But like many other churches here, went to the disposable. Even before that we did not charge extra for carryouts. I am under the impression that Illinois sanitation rules were quite a factor in most going to disposables. Ours has been discontinued because of lack of help to run it.

Side note this town seems to be full of small churches anymore. There are some 42 churches in this community of around 15,000 and that does not include the very close very small towns that have more.

Additional comment:
We would usually have quite a number of carryouts. One person in a family would come get for the whole family in order to eat with family members that could not get out. Also, our church secretary also works in the office for One Hope United and they would have around 40 delivered for staff.

Last edited:
I guess any way a company can stick it to you and make some extra money, they are going to find a way. LOL

Most restaurants in my neighborhood starts with the usual, "For here or to go?"

I guess any way a company can stick it to you and make some extra money, they are going to find a way. LOL

Most restaurants in my neighborhood starts with the usual, "For here or to go?"
Obviously you mean fast food restaurants. They don't get tips or charge extra for to go.

I hate fast foods. I haven't been to McD or Burger King in over 10 years. Same goes for the other type of fast food places. Thank god.

Some restaurants you can call ahead if you are on your way if you know your order. They usually ask 'for here or to go'. A decent restaurant in my neighborhood is Texas Roadhouse. You can have your food at the restaurant or to go.

I hate fast foods. I haven't been to McD or Burger King in over 10 years. Same goes for the other type of fast food places. Thank god.

Some restaurants you can call ahead if you are on your way if you know your order. They usually ask 'for here or to go'. A decent restaurant in my neighborhood is Texas Roadhouse. You can have your food at the restaurant or to go.

Do you like big salads for a meal? If so, you are really missing out by not checking what the fast food restaurants have.

Do you like big salads for a meal? If so, you are really missing out by not checking what the fast food restaurants have.

No, I hate salad!!!

Let's see if RisinDragon, who first mentioned no going to fast food restaurants, agrees with you, Foxrac, or me.

Yes I like salads, a decent Cobb Salad or Julienne Salad.

But to order one from a fast food place? ahhhh, I'll pass. After learning how they actually process food for fast food business. You will not be able to get me to eat there. I rather go hungry. I know many fast food places have been offering 'salads' and what not. But, I have a few quality restaurants around my area that I go to that gives nice portions for the price.

I still enjoy a good steak or seafood every now and then.

Last edited:
Based on my experience, the better tip I give them, they DO remember me and done served me better the next time.

A month ago, went to crab shack, OMFG! So, I gave waitress 37% tip, almost twice what I normally offered for a good service and it is not just because of food thats so champ, its service that we received was a champ as well. Once I gave almost 200% tip (By accident), the next time, OMFG! they did superb service put us on top of priority over others. Interesting.

Even if they did poor job, I just simply drop just ten percent for them telling them that their work SUCKS! If I give them less than 10, they usually think I insulted them regardless.

I see pros and cons with tip, and I think tip should be reserved for outstanding employees while everyone gets fair pay (In other words, tipping is not required), that way no one gets home with too little.

Oh, that would be nice to order food before you show up to eat in. However who will serve you those food you ordered by phone or online? A waiter/ress! Of course, tips should be paid when you eat in. Not required for to-go orders.

You never had carryout at restaurant such as Chili's, etc? :eek3:
Not Chili's because I hate its Mexican food (FYI, I worked as a food preparer for Chili's for a few months in Rochester, NY 35 years ago) but oh yeah, my family frequently order Denny's To-Go as well as many private restaurants like Chinese, Italian Deli shop and many more. Wondering why you asked. Do they require tips? Hell no! If that's not what you mean, I just pointed out that RisinDragon said that when the order is picked up, they ask "for here or to go". Really? Why don't they ask that question when it's ordered by phone or online? Know what I am saying? For example, if you order food in advance by phone or online before you eat in, I believe that they ask if it's for to go or eat in when you make that order so they can pack them in the bag ready for you to pick them up or put them on warm plates waiting for you to show up to eat in.

In red texts, most restaurants like Red Lobster or Olivie Garden won't take this order. First come, first serve.

We occasionally do Take Out at P.F. Chang...no charge but I do leave a tip...I usually tip 10% and then round up to the next dollar....

Like i said,, There ought to be a law against gratuity added on your check. Ever read food sales tax? thats their tip
348s.jpg

THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!

Not Chili's because I hate its Mexican food (FYI, I worked as a food preparer for Chili's for a few months in Rochester, NY 35 years ago) but oh yeah, my family frequently order Denny's To-Go as well as many private restaurants like Chinese, Italian Deli shop and many more. Wondering why you asked. Do they require tips? Hell no! If that's not what you mean, I just pointed out that RisinDragon said that when the order is picked up, they ask "for here or to go". Really? Why don't they ask that question when it's ordered by phone or online? Know what I am saying? For example, if you order food in advance by phone or online before you eat in, I believe that they ask if it's for to go or eat in when you make that order so they can pack them in the bag ready for you to pick them up or put them on warm plates waiting for you to show up to eat in

Eh? Chili's is American/Texans food. I hear Chili's in northeast are crap than here in Texas. LMAOOOoooo

Like i said,, There ought to be a law against gratuity added on your check. Ever read food sales tax? thats their tip
348s.jpg

THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!
Why can't an Italian restaurant spell lasagna correctly? :giggle:

Now that's funny, they added the Gratuity to your bill and at the bottom there is a line for "tip ____". *rolleyes*

The food sales tax is not a tip. That's the state's tax that is collected.

Back