residential vs. mainstream

i would put my children in mainstream school where there's also deaf program. because my children will also need to socialize with deafies, it's not fair if my children is only deaf in school.
If my children wants to go to residential school when they are in middle school age, then that's fine as long they learn from that school.

My two fat cents

BabyPhat21 said:
What do you think about the mainstreamed and residential education for the deaf in terms of Deaf cultural and personal identity........
Hi babyphat. :D

Personal Identity is a individualist enterprise - that means the setting (mainstream or institution) doesn't matter one damned bit. I am sure my personal identity would have been different if i attended an all-deaf institution instead of being mainstreamed from 2nd grade up. But we will never know, and all we can do is compare the actual evidence of the personal identities of those who attended public schools and institutions. Frankly i don't see much of a difference enough to make a solid generalization. So, i don't think it matters much in regards to the private, personal development of different individuals in different backgrounds.

Deaf Culture on the other hand is dramatically nurtured in the institution as opposed to the mainstream/public high school where the deaf person is extra-self-conscious of his or her disability. The deaf person will feel like he or she is normal among his peers, and his or her signing skills and relationships will develop to a greater degree than the isolated deaf person in the public realm. One of the positives about deaf culture is that it has its own values that will not alienate the deaf person, and that may contribute to a better sense of well-being.

However, there's a positive side to the deaf person who is readily integrated in the hearing world in public school - he or she may be more able of relating with the hearing people than the coddled deaf person who has grown up in an institution. That's about the only advantage i see with the integrated deaf person, who might be a tad bit more prepared for the real world which is full of hearing people. I am not promoting integration/mainstreaming/public schools as a one-size fits all thing.

BabyPhat21 said:
I think that the mainstream schools are good but it does not teach you anything about deafness, just that you know you are different from everyone else and have to work twice as hard to prove yourself. It does you strong sometimes since you are focused and have more motivation to keep going and prove the others wrong.......

Suppose the person does not have any support system, won't he or she develop an inferiority complex, have a self-defeating attitude, and fall through the cracks? Not everyone can motivate themselves, because not everyone is the same.

Last edited:
DeafSCUBA98 said:
i would put my children in mainstream school where there's also deaf program. because my children will also need to socialize with deafies, it's not fair if my children is only deaf in school.
If my children wants to go to residential school when they are in middle school age, then that's fine as long they learn from that school.

You hit a critical point here: “that is fine as long they learn from that school”. From what I have experienced thought my years of mingling with deaf from mainstream schools and deaf from institutions, I have reached the conclusion that deaf kids learn a LOT less in institutions compared to those who grew up in mainstream schools. Take, for example, the other day when I was talking to two Gallaudet graduates who thought that the Sun is evolving around the Earth!!! NO, I kid you not; they really thought that the earth is the center of the universe! This is just one example that justifies my point that mainstream deaf students learns a lot more, because they are exposure to challenging classes and hearing peers which can be a motivation for them to learn. Environmental factor plays an important role in the deaf students’ education. Mark Twain once said never to let your school infer your education, but it is nowhere near true when it comes to put kids in institutions.

lilredridinhood said:
i would place my child in a mainstreamed school until they were in middle school, then i would let them decide if they wanted to go to a deaf school or stay mainstreamed. This way, they'd be able to get a hold of the english language and everything.

As much as peopole are agreeing with this, i dont. I would prolly place my kid in a hearing school, but stress after school activities with other deaf children. When you're young, you're at a crucial age to learn English, as well as other subjects. I got mainstream education, and did not receive the social aspects of kiddie life till i was in 8th grade. By then I was already set in what I felt I was (which later changed) but I know I cld never be considered 100% deaf, nor 100% hearing. Im not going to put my kid through that.

And if my child is just like me, (who is just like my father, my uncle.. etc, which we can be classified as CODA-LDA) Im going to stress interaction with deaf kids even more. Im not going to have them miss out for 14 years like I did. :)

Residential or Mainstream ??

IF I had a deaf child and lived in the same town as the state-run deaf school, I would allow my child to be a DAY STUDENT only, NOT residential -- until the child is of high school age and can decide for himself what is right from wrong.

Sex abuse is much too common in residential schools. I know, I retired from one after 25 years.

The very young children belong at home with their parents for guidance until they are of high school age.

The exception being deaf children of deaf adults, they have the proper guidance and upbringing and should not have a problem either way.

The very young children belong at home with their parents for guidance until they are of high school age.
What if a deaf child doesn't have parents? Or what if their parents are really crappy? Mostly I agree with you Lantana...I think the majority of very young deaf/hoh kids should live at home with their parents. However if the deaf kids are in the foster system or homeless or live in an extremely rural enviroment ( like if they live in a Native villigage where it's 50 miles to the nearest supermarket) it might be better for them to attend a res school. Homeless and foster kids experiance a lot of instabilty. They are moved around from placement to placement...very often they are behind in their education. Not to mention that it's really difficult to place special needs kids in the foster system. Sending them to a res school might provide them with a sense of stabilty. Does that make any sense?
I also think that some kids are ready to go off to res school, by 4th grade/ middle school age. Why I know kids who are seven and eight who went to summer camp for a MONTH!
I think that the busing limit should be expanded for deaf schools, to increase the amount of day students. Espcially in very rural states. Why at KSD the busing limit is 30 miles!!!! In my state(MA) the limit is an hour's bus ride each way.
Also, more regional day programs with qualified TODs for Signing Deaf kids should be created.
Pinkster, I totally agree 100% with you!!!

This is just one example that justifies my point that mainstream deaf students learns a lot more, because they are exposure to challenging classes and hearing peers which can be a motivation for them to learn
Kalboy, that is just one example. There are plenty of "educated idoits" out there.
A lot of hearing people...even hearies who've gone to exclusive colleges are "Ummm who's President Bush?" types.
I would have to disagree with you that "deaf schools are the direct cause of crappy education" Back in the early part of the 20th century, if you attended a deaf school, you got a really bad education, hands down. That is b/c until relatively recently hearing people equated deafness with mental retardation, and thought that deaf kids couldn't learn, so they gave them a really substandard education. However, nowadays most students at Deaf schools have been mainstreamed, and decided to attend a Deaf school as a last resort b/c they couldn't find appropreaite resources at their hearing schools. Not too many mainstream schools or teachers have the skills to teach deaf/hoh kids. Believe me...I know. Virtually all of my teachers had NO experiance with deaf/hoh kids(and as a result they just thought I was lazy and said that I'd never accomplish much) and that's probaly a big reason why I am not at a half-way decent school right now...b/c most of my teachers didn't have the skills to teach kids with classic disabilties. The gross majority of mainstream teachers, even mainstream special ed teachers, aren't really equiped to teach kids with classic disabilties. (hearing, sight, mobilty etc) Even today, they mostly learn about learning disabilties, with a token very small amount of time, dedicated to teaching kids with traditional disabilties. I actually know MORE then my special ed major friends about educating kids with classic disabilties! (I am a commuications major with a minor in women's studies)

I have a different perspective on this, cos I am a mom to a deaf child, and I am constantly questioned why I make the choices I do for my child. I've been told off by a few people because I think for myself. Anyway, when it comes to school placement, oh, I just hate when people make blanket statements like all mainstream programs are awful, or all schools for the deaf are awful. There are so many factors involved in making sure your child is getting the best possible education. I'm tired also of people saying mainstream schools are better quality. There are so many deaf kids since the inclusion laws took effect who are out in reg. ed. schools w/staff that hasn't a clue how to educate them or help them develop the social skills to make it in this world. Sure, some kids do great, it really works for them, but others keep getting further and further behind until they're so far behind they send them to the school for the deaf. Then everyone says how uneducated the students at the school for the deaf is. But in reality it's our strong inclusion policy that's hurting many students. I'm not saying all students should be in a school for the deaf, but my son is, and he's getting a far better education now than he had been before, when he was in a regional program. When I say that, some people act like I'm just a stupid parent and don't really know, but I do. It really depends on so many factors, the quality of the program, the administrative support, the education of the staff, the student's personal qualities, so many things. Not all mainstream programs are alike, and not all schools for the deaf are alike. Believe me, we've been thru it all, and fought like hell to get what my child deserves. And if it happens that we think he would do better somewhere else, then we'll look into change. But it's what's best for him, not what people tell me all deaf kids should do.

deafdyke said:
Kalboy, that is just one example. There are plenty of "educated idoits" out there.
A lot of hearing people...even hearies who've gone to exclusive colleges are "Ummm who's President Bush?" types.
I would have to disagree with you that "deaf schools are the direct cause of crappy education" Back in the early part of the 20th century, if you attended a deaf school, you got a really bad education, hands down. That is b/c until relatively recently hearing people equated deafness with mental retardation, and thought that deaf kids couldn't learn, so they gave them a really substandard education. However, nowadays most students at Deaf schools have been mainstreamed, and decided to attend a Deaf school as a last resort b/c they couldn't find appropreaite resources at their hearing schools. Not too many mainstream schools or teachers have the skills to teach deaf/hoh kids. Believe me...I know. Virtually all of my teachers had NO experiance with deaf/hoh kids(and as a result they just thought I was lazy and said that I'd never accomplish much) and that's probaly a big reason why I am not at a half-way decent school right now...b/c most of my teachers didn't have the skills to teach kids with classic disabilties. The gross majority of mainstream teachers, even mainstream special ed teachers, aren't really equiped to teach kids with classic disabilties. (hearing, sight, mobilty etc) Even today, they mostly learn about learning disabilties, with a token very small amount of time, dedicated to teaching kids with traditional disabilties. I actually know MORE then my special ed major friends about educating kids with classic disabilties! (I am a commuications major with a minor in women's studies)

A few things I am not clear about your point.
1. Are you in a specail education program?
2. Why do deaf children need special teaching methods to achieve the same in school as their hearing peers?

It seems like you are saying that teachers must be trained to teach deaf kids. But in mainstream high school and college, teachers are just trained to teach the subjects they are suppose to be teaching. Everybody read the same book and nobody has any advantage.. Unless you are refering to elementary school education... Please clarify.

Kalboy, What do you mean "am I in a special ed program"? I'm not studying to be a special ed teacher, if that's what you mean. I do receive very basic minmal support services (basicly notetaker and extended time on tests and a waiver of my math requirement) but I have not been in a formal special ed program since preschool. (self-contained classroom for preschoolers with various and sundry disabilties) I do have many friends at college who are studying to be teachers, and I know more about educating kids with classic disabilties then they do!!!

Why do deaf children need special teaching methods to achieve the same in school as their hearing peers?

It seems like you are saying that teachers must be trained to teach deaf kids. But in mainstream high school and college, teachers are just trained to teach the subjects they are suppose to be teaching. Everybody read the same book and nobody has any advantage.. Unless you are refering to elementary school education... Please clarify
I am speaking of preschool/elementary school education. I think a HUGE part of the reason why my generation (first to be fully totally completely mainstreamed under IDEA) didn't see significent gains in literacy or acheivement is due to the fact that while some of us went to schools for the deaf/ regional day programs a lot of us were just dumped in "general" special ed programs with teachers who may have only known a bare minimum of Sign or had not been taught how to teach deaf/hoh kids. Lots of us didn't even receive support services from an itinerant teacher of the Deaf/hoh, and we were just left to sink or swim in the mainstream. Too many of us fell through the cracks b/c we weren't properly taught in the early years. THAT is why deaf/hoh kids need special teaching methods. Also b/c most of the teaching methods in a mainstream school, are AURALLY based. Most deaf/hoh kids are VISUAL LEARNERS. Yes, I know there are early intervention programs but most of the time, the state funded ones aren't very good, as most of the therapists only have basic training. Most of the good therapists are in private practice. (where the good money is!) Personally, I think that ALL deaf/hoh kids should by law have to spend the early part of their education at a school for the deaf, and THEN get mainstreamed by proving that they have the skills nessary to achieve at a mainstream school. How is a mainstream preschool teacher supposed to teach a deaf/hoh kid how to read, if they don't know Cued Speech, bi-bi education etc?
I also think that mainstream high school teachers (and actually mainstream teachers in general) need to readjust their attitude towards deaf/hoh students.
FAR FAR too many mainstream teachers think that just b/c a deaf/hoh student is receiving special ed services, that automaticlly means that they are dumb slackers who simply don't want to get an education. (ala quite a few learning disabled students) or they think that b/c a person is smart, they can magicly overcome their disabilties with how smart they are and don't need any support services (like a notetaker) or whatever. Does this clarify things?

deafdyke said:
Kalboy, What do you mean "am I in a special ed program"? I'm not studying to be a special ed teacher, if that's what you mean. I do receive very basic minmal support services (basicly notetaker and extended time on tests and a waiver of my math requirement) but I have not been in a formal special ed program since preschool. (self-contained classroom for preschoolers with various and sundry disabilties) I do have many friends at college who are studying to be teachers, and I know more about educating kids with classic disabilties then they do!!!

I am speaking of preschool/elementary school education. I think a HUGE part of the reason why my generation (first to be fully totally completely mainstreamed under IDEA) didn't see significent gains in literacy or acheivement is due to the fact that while some of us went to schools for the deaf/ regional day programs a lot of us were just dumped in "general" special ed programs with teachers who may have only known a bare minimum of Sign or had not been taught how to teach deaf/hoh kids. Lots of us didn't even receive support services from an itinerant teacher of the Deaf/hoh, and we were just left to sink or swim in the mainstream. Too many of us fell through the cracks b/c we weren't properly taught in the early years. THAT is why deaf/hoh kids need special teaching methods. Also b/c most of the teaching methods in a mainstream school, are AURALLY based. Most deaf/hoh kids are VISUAL LEARNERS. Yes, I know there are early intervention programs but most of the time, the state funded ones aren't very good, as most of the therapists only have basic training. Most of the good therapists are in private practice. (where the good money is!) Personally, I think that ALL deaf/hoh kids should by law have to spend the early part of their education at a school for the deaf, and THEN get mainstreamed by proving that they have the skills nessary to achieve at a mainstream school. How is a mainstream preschool teacher supposed to teach a deaf/hoh kid how to read, if they don't know Cued Speech, bi-bi education etc?
I also think that mainstream high school teachers (and actually mainstream teachers in general) need to readjust their attitude towards deaf/hoh students.
FAR FAR too many mainstream teachers think that just b/c a deaf/hoh student is receiving special ed services, that automaticlly means that they are dumb slackers who simply don't want to get an education. (ala quite a few learning disabled students) or they think that b/c a person is smart, they can magicly overcome their disabilties with how smart they are and don't need any support services (like a notetaker) or whatever. Does this clarify things?

I think there are no one-glove-fit-all cases in that you just stated. Not all the deaf kids will be better off if they went to residential schools and transfer to mainstream schools later on. Children need friends, and once they make friends in residential schools it is hard for them to let go, education will not be the paramount importance in their eyes. Many deaf schools has a large number of clubs and sport teams, sometimes it may done more harm than good on the kids’ education.
I think those who transfer to mainstream schools later are usually the anti-social types who believe they will make better friends at other school, or they could be the oral-types who do not fit in, and again, this does not work in the advantage of education, but merely on a social concentration.
I think one way we can determine whether a young deaf child are better off at mainstream or deaf school is to put him/her through a series of psychological tests and auditory examination. Different level of hearing ability and attitude on social habit will group kids in common together. But I have to admit that this is not the best solution; a homogenous community is more painstaking than a diverse one.
I think you made many good points on the shortcoming of deaf education. I hope educators and parents will collaborate and reform those shortcomings. I personally experienced mainstream education and it works great for me, so each child has his/her own needs.

Kalboy, I don't approve of residental education for young(below 4th grade) kids, except if they are in the foster system, homeless or live in an extremely rural area.
I beleive that the majority of deaf/hoh kids can be aquatly served at regional day programs for the deaf, that have qualifed teachers who are fluent in ASL AND speech therapists who are experianced in working with deaf/hoh students. That is yet another disadvantage in going to a mainstream school....the speech therapist won't nessarly be experianced in working with deaf/hoh kids. I just don't think that most deaf/hoh students should automaticly start off at their neighborhood school.
I think one way we can determine whether a young deaf child are better off at mainstream or deaf school is to put him/her through a series of psychological tests and auditory examination. Different level of hearing ability and attitude on social habit will group kids in common together. But I have to admit that this is not the best solution; a homogenous community is more painstaking than a diverse one.
Actually, I think that deaf/hoh students should have to pass a test in order to go to a mainstream school, in order to prove that they have mastered the skills nessary to function at that school. It'll be a safety net thing, so that noone will fall through the cracks...we have far far far too many people falling through the academic cracks.
I don't think that we should group kids together by hearing abilty....That reinforces the myth that hoh people aren't "really deaf"

deafdyke said:
Kalboy, I don't approve of residental education for young(below 4th grade) kids, except if they are in the foster system, homeless or live in an extremely rural area.
I beleive that the majority of deaf/hoh kids can be aquatly served at regional day programs for the deaf, that have qualifed teachers who are fluent in ASL AND speech therapists who are experianced in working with deaf/hoh students. That is yet another disadvantage in going to a mainstream school....the speech therapist won't nessarly be experianced in working with deaf/hoh kids. I just don't think that most deaf/hoh students should automaticly start off at their neighborhood school.

Actually, I think that deaf/hoh students should have to pass a test in order to go to a mainstream school, in order to prove that they have mastered the skills nessary to function at that school. It'll be a safety net thing, so that noone will fall through the cracks...we have far far far too many people falling through the academic cracks.
I don't think that we should group kids together by hearing abilty....That reinforces the myth that hoh people aren't "really deaf"

I have to disagree with you on that deaf/hoh students have to pass a test to go to mainstream schools. That is like justifying that deaf schools are easier than mainstream schools and I do not think that is the point you are attempting to make. A better solution should be a test on the mainstream school’s ability to provide reasonable accommodation and the hearing teachers attitudes on their willingness to accommodate a deaf student in their classrooms. Since we have a public school education system here, it is uncalled for to test a student’s ability on how well they can fit in the class. I think with proper accommodations, deaf students can do just as well as their hearing peers.

Also there exists different level of hearing loss, if a hoh students can learn how to speak and use their remaining hearing ability, why not reveal their potential?

I think with proper accommodations, deaf students can do just as well as their hearing peers.
Oh...I agree. I am NOT anti-mainstreaming. I just think that the sitution that peacetrain describes in her post is too common
There are so many deaf kids since the inclusion laws took effect who are out in reg. ed. schools w/staff that hasn't a clue how to educate them or help them develop the social skills to make it in this world. Sure, some kids do great, it really works for them, but others keep getting further and further behind until they're so far behind they send them to the school for the deaf. Then everyone says how uneducated the students at the school for the deaf is. But in reality it's our strong inclusion policy that's hurting many students. I'm not saying all students should be in a school for the deaf, but my son is, and he's getting a far better education now than he had been before, when he was in a regional program
I just think that everyone should start out in a school for the deaf, and then mainstream..A lot of hearing parents of deaf/hoh kids have no idea of the services and things that are required to educate deaf/hoh kids. Not all parents are the AGBell-style rabid mainstream advocates who know sped law by heart.
We now have exams that students must take in order to graduate from school. Why not have entrance exams like they do in college? (for everyone)

[/QUOTE]Also there exists different level of hearing loss, if a hoh students can learn how to speak and use their remaining hearing ability, why not reveal their potential?[/QUOTE]
Sigh....that really does reinforce the myths that a) hoh students have more in common with hearing people then with deaf people and b) if deaf/hoh students are exposed to ASL/Deaf culture they won't want to hear and talk or they won't use their residual hearing as well as "pure" oralists.

Mainstreaming, etc.

Kalboy, I think you are speaking thru your (where the sun does not shine).

THIS particular argument can go on until the end of time and it still will not be solved.

Most of us here speak from strong EXPERIENCE, what about you?

I worked in a residential school for 25 years and we had quite a few foster children (who went home on weekends to a foster home). They got picked on, but most of them survived.

We cannot have a "one size fits all" education for handicapped children. It is bad enough having to have it for hearing children. But it is the best we have to offer and most of us survive despite all the hardships.

My son is the Financial Manager of a large school district. He tells me that there are $75,000.00 a year children. And most of these children will never be able to live in a normal world, despite their expensive "education".

Thanks Lantana, It just seems like too many people hold mainstreaming up as the ulimate wonderful glorious goal. You're right a "one size does not fit all" mentality doesn't work with deaf/hoh students. That is why mainstreaming isn't all it's cracked up to be....mainstreaming has a "one size fits all mentality"(eg all kids in sped are just stupid suburban slackers who shopped around for a designer LD dx) ...even without the deafness I would still not have fit in very well in the mainstream b/c I am brainy and eccentric. I'm not saying the deaf schools are heaven...I'm just pointing out the bad side of mainstreaming.

deafdyke said:
We now have exams that students must take in order to graduate from school. Why not have entrance exams like they do in college? (for everyone)
QUOTE]

You hit another critical point here. Deaf schools do not require students to take an exit examination once they graduate from high school whereas mainstream schools do. This I speak from personal experience and mind you, I attended mainstream all the way from 4th to 12th grade and I emigrated from a different country prior to that. Heck, English is not even my first language and I had to learn by reading Calvin and Hobbes.
Deaf school’s reason on not assigning an exit examination is just another reason to hide how poorly that large number of deaf students’ English and arithmetic skills are. Also, the SAT/ACT is not even enforced in deaf schools and Gallaudet does not even require students to take those exams prior to their enrollments. Your argument on that an exam is required for deaf/hoh students to take if they wan to enroll in MAINSTREAM PUBLIC school is not only discrimination and segregation in nature but also undermines the potential many talented deaf/hoh students. What if they can not pass the hypothetical exam you came up with? Your only solution left is to throw them back to the schools for deaf and dumb.. I hope that is not the point you are trying to conclude.

Also speaking from personal experience, I have never met a single deaf/hoh student who went to deaf schools in my college (I went to a 4 year, top-tier public university in California). All of the deaf students from my college signs and some are able to speak fairly well, we all agree that the materials taught in deaf school are too easy. Remember, it is your schooling is not suppose to influence your education.

Lantana said:

THIS particular argument can go on until the end of time and it still will not be solved.

I worked in a residential school for 25 years and we had quite a few foster children (who went home on weekends to a foster home). They got picked on, but most of them survived.

We cannot have a "one size fits all" education for handicapped children. It is bad enough having to have it for hearing children. But it is the best we have to offer and most of us survive despite all the hardships.

My son is the Financial Manager of a large school district. He tells me that there are $75,000.00 a year children. And most of these children will never be able to live in a normal world, despite their expensive "education".

Please save your puerile attitude at another time, it is no need to call names here. We are having an discussion, you are welcome to join, but please leave your self-indulgencing and egotist attitude outside.

Even though Kalboy has already spoken for himself, I felt compelled to add a few comments of my own:

Lantana said:
This is totally unnecessary. Take the sophomoric poisoning the well maneuvers elsewhere, for these 3rd rate insults will not lead to a productive conversation or discussion. If you have made up your mind on this issue, then why bother at all?
Lantana said:
False. Just because you are tired of the topic does not mean nobody else can try and solve it.
Lantana said:
You are far too presumptuous for your own good. Ask Kalboy before making an ass out of yourself with these aSSumptions.
Lantana said:
Eh. Everyone gets picked on - even the popular kids.
Lantana said:
We cannot have a "one size fits all" education for handicapped children.
Then what exactly are you advocating? If you do not believe there is a possible 'one size fits all' model of education for HC children, then what?

Lantana said:
It is bad enough having to have it for hearing children. But it is the best we have to offer and most of us survive despite all the hardships.
This is an argument from tradition. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" reasoning is weak at best, and presumes the current model needs no improvement, and blindly ignores alternatives or potential reforms. If you are satisfied with the current state of education, then you need to explain why it is good enough, not just say so.

~Heretic~

deafdyke said:
Thanks Lantana, It just seems like too many people hold mainstreaming up as the ulimate wonderful glorious goal. You're right a "one size does not fit all" mentality doesn't work with deaf/hoh students. That is why mainstreaming isn't all it's cracked up to be....mainstreaming has a "one size fits all mentality"(eg all kids in sped are just stupid suburban slackers who shopped around for a designer LD dx) ...even without the deafness I would still not have fit in very well in the mainstream b/c I am brainy and eccentric. I'm not saying the deaf schools are heaven...I'm just pointing out the bad side of mainstreaming.
Isn't it hypocritical to criticize mainstreaming as an impossible attempt to squeeze every deaf/hh person into one prefigured mold, while leaving the alternative of residental education unmentioned, unscathed?

It works both ways, DeafDyke, cuz that's a double edged sword. If you are going to criticize mainstreaming for its monolithic function, then what makes you think the residental schools are free from that criticism?

I'd be more impressed if you also pointed out the bad side of residental schools yourself too, so you would appear more impartial and balanced, and maybe even persuasive. :naughty:

By the way, being brainy and eccentric is a social stigma, and has nothing to do with the quality of education or whether it meets the needs of the handicapped. Hence, this fat non-sequitur of yours has no place here.

Back