Reception problems with finger spelling (dyslexia)

That is a great paper Reba, I just wish it included more longer words. But it is a start, thank you very much!!

That is a great paper Reba, I just wish it included more longer words. But it is a start, thank you very much!!
It's not supposed to be long words. The point of the practice is to learn how to do common letter combinations that make up longer words. After a while, you are signing "tion" instead of "t-i-o-n." It's the same with typing/keyboarding. I don't think and type "a-n-d." I think and type "and."

Suppose you learn the letter groups "key," "board," and "ing." Then, when you fingerspell keyboarding it's "key-board-ing" not "k-e-y-b-o-a-r-d-i-n-g."

If you get the book, it has more practice pages.

However, it won't help you with receptive practice of signers who spell letter by letter. That is tougher.

It's not supposed to be long words. The point of the practice is to learn how to do common letter combinations that make up longer words. After a while, you are signing "tion" instead of "t-i-o-n." It's the same with typing/keyboarding. I don't think and type "a-n-d." I think and type "and."

Suppose you learn the letter groups "key," "board," and "ing." Then, when you fingerspell keyboarding it's "key-board-ing" not "k-e-y-b-o-a-r-d-i-n-g."

If you get the book, it has more practice pages.

However, it won't help you with receptive practice of signers who spell letter by letter. That is tougher.

So that's why someone I was talking to was telling me to fingerspell a 3-letter word as one, real quick-like.

That's a cool site, wish I could understand something, but it moves too fast for me - and I just set it to the slowest speed; too bad you can't just pause it. I recently discovered this site when I did a search:

http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

Laura

Laura,

You can start by setting it on the slowest speed, and then just click the heck out of the button that says "slower". The slowest and fastest options on that page aren't really limits, more like suggestions.

Back