Recently Diagnosed Hoh

HoHMomof3

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Maria. I am almost 42 years old and was just diagnosed with Bilateral Moderate Sensorineural Hearing Loss. Left is worse than right. I am nervous and scared and a bit embarrassed I guess but am not sure why. I have always wanted to learn how to sign and now have the drive to learn, plus it would benefit me at work. I am looking to learn and practice.

Hi. My name is Maria. I am almost 42 years old and was just diagnosed with Bilateral Moderate Sensorineural Hearing Loss. Left is worse than right. I am nervous and scared and a bit embarrassed I guess but am not sure why. I have always wanted to learn how to sign and now have the drive to learn, plus it would benefit me at work. I am looking to learn and practice.

Welcome! Nothing to be nervous or embarrassed about, unfortunately it is what it is and their is nothing you can do about it except protect the hearing you have left. Get yourself a good pair of noise suppressing muffs and wear them when you are around harmful levels of noise. I would also get a good book on hearing loss and hearing aids and educate yourself about your loss. Are you getting hearing aids?

:welcome:HoHmom

I'm hoh too, became aware of hearing changes maybe 6 years ago now.Am close to you in age. Don't wear aids; hub is hoh/oral deaf <no sign>since birth and has needed to get new bilateral aids for some time <he got them this Summer>. Don't know if I was born hoh or not as I was very premature and in Special Ed for speech and Language as a child. Why do you think you're embarrassed? I'm glad you want to learn to sign! I was first learned some ASL and the culture of Deaf people years ago in college when I worked with a recreational program which was directed toward deaf kids and had Deaf staff. Since then I've taken classes here and there - my best ones were with Deaf teachers - that is culturally Deaf teachers, voice off <no talking>. I highly recommend those instead of classes with hearing. I sign a small amount but poorly. But I'm not worried about signing in public or about telling people I meet out and about, that I'm hoh. I have gained from my <little>knowledge of and interaction with Deaf culture and feel comfortable with being hoh and being around Deaf. I've always been "outside the mainstream" in other ways of being and doing and being hoh, I gained something too.

Hi ! I was born HOH and feel more comfortable around hearing people . There wasn't any deaf or hoh kids to hang out with growing up. I like your dog ! :)

Welcome Maria. Deaf since 6-7yrs old (55 now). You will find a mish mash of combinations here and almost none of us feel bad/scared or embarrassed about it..this is your support group here. Enjoy your stay.

Welcome! Nothing to be nervous or embarrassed about, unfortunately it is what it is and their is nothing you can do about it except protect the hearing you have left. Get yourself a good pair of noise suppressing muffs and wear them when you are around harmful levels of noise. I would also get a good book on hearing loss and hearing aids and educate yourself about your loss. Are you getting hearing aids?
Yes I am getting hearing aids. This Thursday.

Thanks everyone. The support is great. Tony I have two dogs in that picture. The one in the front is Shiloh a 5 year old Lhaso Apso male and behind him is his little sister Kira an almost 2 year old Shi-poo. Plus two sugar bears or sugar gliders

welcome! A year ago I woke up with Sudden Bilateral Profound Sensorineural deafness. I definitely understand the feeling afraid and nervous. Just keep taking it one day at a time, and learn to laugh at the craziness of life sometimes. :)

Back