Recent statements by Catholic church about bible

Status
Not open for further replies.
The RC Church teaches that there are two authors of the Bible: the human author and the Divine Author. What is true about the Bible is what God reveals about himself and ourselves. For example, the four Gospels tell a very different story about Jesus. Why? Because each the Evangelists were writing to very different audiences and wanted to emphasize different teachings of Christ according to what their audience needed to hear. Regardless, each of the Evangelists taught the same truth about Jesus.

Ultimately, the most important interpretation of the Sacred Scripture is the Spirtual interpretation. The historical-critical interpretation of Sacred Scripture is almost all hypothetical. For example, many scholars for years argued that John the Evangelist was not the same person as John the Apostle. They argued that John's Gospel was writen between 100 and 200 years after the death of Jesus. However, recent archaelogical studies in Jerusalem have shown that the author of John's Gospel would have to have been present in Jerusalem before the Roman Emporer Titus destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD. Now they are saying that John's Gospel was written by an early community of Christians that named the Gospel after John to give the book more authority. Why John's Gospel could not have been written by John the Apostle is beyond me. So much for historical criticism.

Which is one is following the Bible? Obviously the Fundamentalist, and Conservative Christian

(Ned Flanders) I've followed all the parts of the Bible, including those that contradict the other parts!(/Ned Flanders)
Crazyman, do you eat pork and lobster? Do you wear clothes made with mixed fabrics? Have you killed witches? Do you justify slavery with the reasoning that Ham doomed blacks to be hewers of wood and drawers of water?
ALL Christians use and follow the teachings that are in the Bible! Not to a T, but you don't either.........

Reba, I don't follow all religions. You misinterpret what I say. I have my own personal beleif system, and I believe that there are lessons of value from almost ALL religions, but none are THE ANSWER b/c God's/Higher Spirit's/ Word cannot come purely through a corrupt tool. Man is CORRUPT!

Actually.....wait Reba, I believe that all the religions and belief systems are simply different manifesations of the Higher Power that created the Universe and the Earth. Does that make sense?

Big E said:
As a RC priest, I think it is important to know that Bible is not entirely accurate in every case, for example, in science. On the other hand, what the Bible says about God and our relationship with Him is important. The Bible is true in all of it's theology and our purpose in this life. In other words, the Bible is God's revelation of Himself to us. While the universe may or may not have been created in less than a week, we do know that God is the creator of the cosmos. The purpose of Genesis is to teach that God is the source of all life. On the other hand, the RC Church does teach that all of humanity does come from two people, but their names were not necessarily Adam and Eve. What the Bishops of England and Wales were trying to say is that Genesis was not written to be a scientific account of creation, but rather a theologcal understanding of man.

I hope that helps.

What is RC?

Reba said:
How can they all preach the truth when each "truth" contradicts the other? It is not even logical.

If religion "A" says the "Green way" is the only way to heaven but religion "B" says the "Red way" is the only way, and religion "C" says the "Blue way" is the only way, how can they all be true? And then religion "D" says there is no heaven, and religion "E" says there is a heaven but no way to get there. How can they all be true? You see, it doesn't make sense.

I think what deafdyke is trying to state is that she believes all religions hold some truth to their beliefs, primarily the existance of a higher being or beings. Not necessarily that all religions are true.

deafdyke said:
Actually.....wait Reba, I believe that all the religions and belief systems are simply different manifesations of the Higher Power that created the Universe and the Earth. Does that make sense?
No, it doesn't make sense. Why would He want to confuse people and cause strife among people by creating different "manifestations"?

deafdyke said:
...Reba, I don't follow all religions. You misinterpret what I say. I have my own personal beleif system, and I believe that there are lessons of value from almost ALL religions, but none are THE ANSWER b/c God's/Higher Spirit's/ Word cannot come purely through a corrupt tool. Man is CORRUPT!
Then how do you think God communicates with man? What method?

deafdyke said:
Well, there's really no ONE answer. Some have given up on organized religions and become atheists/secular humanists or practice religion on their own, some have found support and help in the various and sundry support religious support groups, some have found help in recoincling their orientation with their religion in other ways. Being Christian and gay isn't a total oxymoron. I mean, there are Christian churches that are 100% OK with homosexuality....and even offer their offical blessings in the form of comittment cereomonies. Homosexuality is NOT universarly accepted as a sin! Here's a link that might be helpful to you....Scroll down to the bit on libral Christian's views on homosexuality:http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bibx.htm
Did you know that some Biblcal scholars think that the "friendship" between David and Jonathan may have been homosexual? 2 Samuel 1:26
"I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother; you were very dear to me. Your love for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of women."

According to some scholars (and not crazed fringe scholars) there's evidence of at least THREE positive homosexual relationships in the Bible: http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bmar.htm
Homosexuality is more of an ambigious sin......NOT ALL CHRISTIAN CHURCHES VIEW IT AS A SIN!!!!!
Yes, I know you quote the "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve arguement"
BUT, JESUS NEVER spoke out on homosexuality! Don't you think that if He'd had issues with homosexuality, He would have said something? http://www.religioustolerance.org/sex_jesu.htm

I can understand why some churches who are 100% Ok with homosexuality ( homosexual/transexual/bisexual/bestiality/lesbian ). I will explain why they don't view it as sin. Here's some explanation from the scriptures and it will tell you why. But, first let me explain what "Apostasy" means.

Apostasy means: to stand away from.
Act of rebellin' against, forsakin', abandonin', or fallin' away from what one has believed.

And, here are the scriptures what Jesus say about the churches.

Jeremiah 2:19; 8:5 ( backslidin' )
"Thine own wickedness shall correct thee, and thy backslidings shall reprove thee: know therefore and see that it is an evil thing and bitter, that thou hast forsaken the LORD thy God, and that my fear is not in thee, saith the Lord GOD of hosts."

Paul taught that apostasy would precede the day of the Lord.
2 Thessalonians 2:3
"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition.."

Such apostasy will involve doctrinal deception, moral insensitivity, and ethical wrongdoin'.
1 Timothy 4:1
"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils..."

In the parable of the soils, Jesus spoke of those who believe for a while but "fall away" in time of temptation.
Luke 8:13
"They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away."

Those who fall away can not be renewed again to repentance.
Hebrews 6:6
"If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame."

Yet God is able to keep the believer from fallin'.
Jude 24
"Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy..."

Matthew 24:12
"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold."

When all that happens : The rapture begins for the believers who are faithful to Jesus. All over the world are lookin' for an intelligent man to solve the world's problems. The Anti-Christ is the one and very extremely dictator. God allow it, because of "apostasy" grew and their love become wax cold ( don't care what the scriptures say about sins and, yet they still do it - just because, they are sayin' that "God is love". Satan LOVE this and he wants people to believe lie. It's why some churches grew weak - no revival to bring fire for Christ. :(
When the rapture happens - there'll be NO Holy Spirit to be there for people on earth. The Holy Spirit will leave this earth, because of Anti-Christ will rule this world. Satan lives in the body of Anti-Christ and the world shall see his "miracles", "wonders" and all... so much just like Jesus Christ. Some believers who will be left behind will suffer through all this difficult times, because every store, hospital, clinic, dentist, and everything will put up a sign to say "666" meanin' that people who receive 666 will enter the store to purchase foods or whatever they need... enter the clinic for physical check up or if happens to get sick, they will get some medications for it - but for some believers who are left behind will refuse to take that number.. but, will face behead or shot by military/police state. Some may give up for foods by takin' the mark. It's not goin' to be easy for some people. It's goin' to be very hard and struggle than today.
Just keep that in mind and remember what I tell you about this scenario. Don't bash me. Ok ? lol
:ily:

legalistic people suck, legalism makes me sick-MxPx

CrazyManWoot, you're contradicting yourself. Previously you stated that it was your goal to preach the gospel to homosexuals, and to have them turn from their lifestyle. Now you're approach is reverting to Nazism and "driving them out?"

This is what Leviticus 20:13 states:
13 " 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Basically if two men practice homosexuality, they must be put to death. So I think the Bible is pretty clear on what to do. Are you going to follow God's word? Are you going to put them to death?

Now going back to Leviticus 19, lets look at some other verses:
19 " 'Keep my decrees.
" 'Do not mate different kinds of animals.
" 'Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed.
" 'Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

Ever wear those nice comfortable cotton poly blend shirts?

26 " 'Do not eat any meat with the blood still in it.
" 'Do not practice divination or sorcery.

Like your burgers well done?

27 " 'Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.

Do you cut your sideburns or do you shave?

33 " 'When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. 34 The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Do you welcome those Mexican immigrants looking refuge?

35 " 'Do not use dishonest standards when measuring length, weight or quantity. 36 Use honest scales and honest weights, an honest ephah [d] and an honest hin. [e] I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt.

Do you use the metric system? I hope for your poor soul, you don't.

Lets fast forward to James 2:
8If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself,"[a] you are doing right. 9But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. 10For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11For he who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder."[c] If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.

12Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!

I think this verse speaks for itself. Legalism is not the key to salvation. Faith is, as evidenced in Ephesians 2

8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast.

Now, yes we all have heard faith without works is dead. Lets take a step back to James 2.

14What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
18But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.

19You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

20You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless[d]? 21Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,"[e] and he was called God's friend. 24You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

25In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

What is being referred to here are good deeds. Not sin. One is not condemned because they lead a sinful lifestyle. We all lead sinful lives. It is our nature. Abraham was a drunk. Do you think he's in heaven or hell. We are called to be good people. I try to lead my life the way God wishes me to be. I am a nice caring person, I love helping people out, etc. These are acts of love and compassion. I also cuss like a sailor. I smoke cigars. Am I going to hell because of this? No, because I know my sins are forgiven. And even though I am forgiven, I will no doubt sin again.

Romans 4
7"Blessed are they
whose transgressions are forgiven,
whose sins are covered.
8Blessed is the man
whose sin the Lord will never count against him."

Now, I know in your rebuttal I can expect you to tell me how I'm taking these verses out of context or not understanding them. You'll use words like "pragmatic" and "user-friendly." Words which I don't think you know the meaning of. How do I know I am interpreting it right? Because the verses are pretty clear, and I have no doubt, that many other people would have the absolute same interpretation of those verses.

Good night.

CyberRed said:
When all that happens : The rapture begins for the believers who are faithful to Jesus. All over the world are lookin' for an intelligent man to solve the world's problems. The Anti-Christ is the one and very extremely dictator. God allow it, because of "apostasy" grew and their love become wax cold ( don't care what the scriptures say about sins and, yet they still do it - just because, they are sayin' that "God is love". Satan LOVE this and he wants people to believe lie. It's why some churches grew weak - no revival to bring fire for Christ. :(
When the rapture happens - there'll be NO Holy Spirit to be there for people on earth. The Holy Spirit will leave this earth, because of Anti-Christ will rule this world. Satan lives in the body of Anti-Christ and the world shall see his "miracles", "wonders" and all... so much just like Jesus Christ. Some believers who will be left behind will suffer through all this difficult times, because every store, hospital, clinic, dentist, and everything will put up a sign to say "666" meanin' that people who receive 666 will enter the store to purchase foods or whatever they need... enter the clinic for physical check up or if happens to get sick, they will get some medications for it - but for some believers who are left behind will refuse to take that number.. but, will face behead or shot by military/police state. Some may give up for foods by takin' the mark. It's not goin' to be easy for some people. It's goin' to be very hard and struggle than today.
Just keep that in mind and remember what I tell you about this scenario. Don't bash me. Ok ? lol
:ily:

May I ask why you believe in the "Left Behind" interpretation of Revelations? I mean as in what verses you believe mention the rapture, etc. I haven't researched it in depth. Revelations is an oddball book, because it is the only book dedicated to absolute prophecy. The actual validity of the book's accuracy or even legitimacy has been greatly debated. I've heard ideas from friends that suggested Revelations was simply created in a rouse of church politics to help control congregations and instill fear. I don't have any personal interpretations of Revelations, except I do reject the Left Behind explanation. Good books though. :thumb: No, I'm not bashing. Simply questioning your interpretation.

Reba said:
No, it doesn't make sense. Why would He want to confuse people and cause strife among people by creating different "manifestations"?

There are two general arguements concerning the existance of a higher being or beings: there is, or there isn't. She is saying what she gets from different religions is that she believes "there is." She is not supporting one religion's teachings over another.

cental34 said:
May I ask why you believe in the "Left Behind" interpretation of Revelations? I mean as in what verses you believe mention the rapture, etc. I haven't researched it in depth. Revelations is an oddball book, because it is the only book dedicated to absolute prophecy. The actual validity of the book's accuracy or even legitimacy has been greatly debated. I've heard ideas from friends that suggested Revelations was simply created in a rouse of church politics to help control congregations and instill fear. I don't have any personal interpretations of Revelations, except I do reject the Left Behind explanation. Good books though. :thumb: No, I'm not bashing. Simply questioning your interpretation.

Ok, Cental34. Thanks for not bashin'. :)
Umm, here's the scriptures about the rapture :

Rapture :

1 Thessalonians 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
1 Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
1 Thessalonians 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. [caught up=Rapture]
1 Thessalonians 4:18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.
1 Thessalonians 1:10 And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.
1 Thessalonians 2:19 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?
1 Thessalonians 5:9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,
1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

That's when and BEFORE the Anti-Christ appear on the world's stage. The Revelation is more complicated, but when Anti-Christ appear on the world's stage, then the Revelation will reveal...no more complication. Right now, we are not there just yet and, it's why the Revelation is very hard to understand. People will realize after readin' the Revelation right AFTER the rapture, because they will see him, the Anti-Christ. Some will flee and hide after learnin' somethin' from the Revelation about the Anti-Christ.

cental34 said:
... She is not supporting one religion's teachings over another.
That's my point. A person can't logically accept all (or even a few) different religions as equally valid because the teachings of each one contradict the others. A person must either pick one religion or no religion to follow. For example, three religions have beliefs about life after death. Religion A believes in reincarnation. Religion B believes in total annilihation. Religion C believes everyone goes to heaven. A person can't say, "I believe they are all true." How can that be? How can a person die and be reincarnated, annilihalted, and go to heaven at the same time?

Reba said:
That's my point. A person can't logically accept all (or even a few) different religions as equally valid because the teachings of each one contradict the others. A person must either pick one religion or no religion to follow. For example, three religions have beliefs about life after death. Religion A believes in reincarnation. Religion B believes in total annilihation. Religion C believes everyone goes to heaven. A person can't say, "I believe they are all true." How can that be? How can a person die and be reincarnated, annilihalted, and go to heaven at the same time?

:gpost: :thumb:

cental34 said:

Unfortunately, one cannot say the same for the film adaptations.

cental34 said:
... I've heard ideas from friends that suggested Revelations was simply created in a rouse of church politics to help control congregations and instill fear. ...
The end time events of Revelation instill fear only in unbelievers.

Believers see the events as hope for the future. Believers look forward to the Rapture because it means immediately leaving the sinful world and being in the presence of the Lord without going thru death. Revelation also shows the final total defeat of Satan and his followers. Hooray!

The period that follows the Rapture is an awful time for unbelievers, and for people who become believers during that period.

The book also is a motivation for Christians to be busy doing the Lord's work, and spreading His Gospel to as many people as possible before it is too late. We Christians want everyone to have the opportunity to be part of the Rapture. We don't want anyone left behind in awful suffering.

Y'all come join us! :) The welcome mat is out.

Crazymanw00t said:
LIBERALIST CHRISTIAN refuses to absolute following the Bible, therefore they aren't Christian at all.

What you said sets a standard for deciding who is a Christian and who are not among those who claim to be Christians. The liberal Christians could easily say that since you follow the bible absolutely, you are not a true Christian.
It's like when Muslims say that the extreme Muslim terrorists like bin Laden are not true Muslims. Bin Laden could claim that the Muslims criticizing him are not true Muslims by his standards.
Different people can use different standards to decide who is in a group. Or Christianity could be considered a set of many belief systems that have common characteristics like believing in Jesus plus some other characteristics that could vary, such as how the bible is followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back