Quick question: What to wear to a funeral?

Why? I am puzzled why a birth of a family member be a very sad occasion? I don't understand. Unless the baby dies in childbirth or short after? Is that what you meant? Please explain. I want to understand.

Liebling answered your question. My family is 100% Irish.

When a baby is born--it's a sad occasion as that signifies that an angel has fallen and has to walk among us mortals until it's their time to pass on.

That's why we cry.

When an individual lives for a long time and dies/passes on--we celebrate as they are reunited with the angels. We have a big funeral, buffet and drinks afterwards with music and dancing.

If the individual dies before their time is up--then it's an all out mourning for 30 days with black wreaths, mirrors covered, very somber, and the spouse/parent wears black for a year.

When Ally died --I had to follow the second one. Mourning for 30 days, black wreaths, mirrors covered and wearing black for a year.....

Wear jean would be ok if you don't have other nice pants, however you can buy nice pants from wal-mart or target for better price, if not then wear jean with dress shirt is good enough.

For me, I prefer to wear full nice dress, that what I have few suits of nice dress.

You can wear any thing to funneral as long as you are not in the funneral. Even casual. Jeans are fine.

When a baby is born--it's a sad occasion as that signifies that an angel has fallen and has to walk among us mortals until it's their time to pass on.

That's why we cry.

When an individual lives for a long time and dies/passes on--we celebrate as they are reunited with the angels. We have a big funeral, buffet and drinks afterwards with music and dancing.

If the individual dies before their time is up--then it's an all out mourning for 30 days with black wreaths, mirrors covered, very somber, and the spouse/parent wears black for a year.

When Ally died --I had to follow the second one. Mourning for 30 days, black wreaths, mirrors covered and wearing black for a year.....

Oh I see that the party, I questioned about that your family are also Irish, too.

:ty: add your post to remind me about music and dancing... Yes, it´s old Irish tradition.

Yes, wear a black for a year... My Irish and Roman catholic Grandma wore black for a year to pay respect her husband but I didnt know about black wreaths and mirrors.

Interesting, I didn´t know about sad occasion issues over baby born.

I've always been taught to dress proper for a funeral. Usually when I attend a funeral, I would wear a dark colored dress or a black slack pant with a white blouse or a medium to dark colored blouse to go along with it.

It doesn't matter how you dress for a funeral occasion. You can dress up for whatever you want to put on your body but I also think there should be a fine line between dressing up and dressing down when attending a funeral. It does not mean that a person should dress up to wear something fancy or something that is outrageous to attend a funeral. It's all about having an etiquette and also respecting others.

That's just how I am. :)

That's why we cry.
Very interesting. I've never heard that before.

The tradition in this area is to have visitation at the funeral home the night before the funeral. Friends visit the family members there to comfort them and to reminise about the deceased. Usually it's open casket unless the body isn't appropriate for viewing. The flowers are arranged around the casket and room. The room sometimes has photos or photo albums from the deceased person's life available to look at. At the most recent visitation we attended, there was a video monitor set up with an electronic slide show of the deceased person's life. Visitation time is usually 2-3 evening hours.

The next day, the funeral service is held either at the church or the funeral home chapel (depending on the size of the crowd expected). Then, we all drive to the cemetery (if it will be a local burial). At the graveside there is another brief service. Afterward, there is sometimes a reception either at the church hall, or at someone's home, where beverages and snacks are served, and people remember past times with the deceased.

The tradition in this area is to have visitation at the funeral home the night before the funeral. Friends visit the family members there to comfort them and to reminise about the deceased. Usually it's open casket unless the body isn't appropriate for viewing. The flowers are arranged around the casket and room. The room sometimes has photos or photo albums from the deceased person's life available to look at. At the most recent visitation we attended, there was a video monitor set up with an electronic slide show of the deceased person's life. Visitation time is usually 2-3 evening hours.

The next day, the funeral service is held either at the church or the funeral home chapel (depending on the size of the crowd expected). Then, we all drive to the cemetery (if it will be a local burial). At the graveside there is another brief service. Afterward, there is sometimes a reception either at the church hall, or at someone's home, where beverages and snacks are served, and people remember past times with the deceased.

That's right. :)

let him wear his blue jeans as long as they are dark and have him wear nice shirt in black or dark color either way I'm sure they won't mind , is he related to decease ??? Does he wear gothlic clothes that would do fine also but only in niceier way I guess just as long as he dress nice and respect that all should matters .

Back