Questions about the bible.

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
First I would like to ask a question about Where did God come from? This thread is going to related everything about the bible.Please no off-topic with polities in this thread Thank-you. ;)

When I was reading the first verse of the bible, the bible explains the beginning of everything, expect God? Does that mean God never had a begining?

If God didn't created himself, is God self-existent (sp?)?

Good quesiton... I wish I could knew how God exist before Century's. No Earth there that time.. Made me wonder'n 'bout God already there... but how what hapepnd before that?

Cheri, truly pretty big diffculities these question.. (Chuckles) When is my time, God and Jesus will tell us 'bout the story... Which bible isn't there informaiton before create it around more than century's.

Very good question and I wish I had an answer. There are no clear passages on the origins of our Creator. All we're told is in the beginning, God was there. Jesus referred to himself as the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, which I'd really like to understand more. But it really does make me wonder. However, no matter how silly anyone thinks it is that we cannot explain the origins of God, the big bang theory is even more silly. Nothing reacted with nothing, and then we had something. Everything has to have a creator.

Cheri said:
First I would like to ask a question about Where did God come from?
God is infinite. He had no beginning, and He will have no end. He has always existed. No one created God, and no one will destroy God.

It is very comforting to know that, no matter what happens, God continues. :)

God is always there....He had no beginning, Cheri. :) Like Reba said...I agree with her. :)

Saint Aquinas considered it too, Cheri

Reba said:
God is infinite. He had no beginning, and He will have no end. He has always existed. No one created God, and no one will destroy God.

Your comments reflected Saint Aquinas' beliefs.

Saint Aquinas took up the Comsologist Argument to explain how the supreme being comes into existence. He listed five "proofs" for God's existence but only three were more popular since the rest was quite similar in explanations, which were the following (I am citing the below from this website with several editing):

1-- Aquinas holds that, "whatever is in motion must be put in motion by another," and that, "this cannot go on to infinity, because then there would be no first mover." Hence St. Thomas argues that in order to eliminate the infinite chain of motions, there must be a first mover and source of all motion, God.

2-- The second way is very similar to the first. It argues that," In the world of sense we find there is an order of efficient causes. There is no case known (neither is it, indeed, possible) in which a thing is found to be the efficient cause of itself; for so it would be prior to itself, which is impossible." By this he means that any thing, circumstance or event cannot change itself, but can only change something else. Since there is a string of causes in which the string cannot be infinite, then all causes must attribute themselves to a first cause: God.

3--The third way also argues using the notion of a chain of causes.The way of "possibility and necessity," meaning that all things made possible, necessarily attribute their existence to some pre-existing thing. Only God can be the source of all things since he is a being having its own necessity and does not need a pre-existing thing to cause him to exist. All things existing can trace themselves in a chain back to God.

Saint Anselm's Ontological argument stated that God exists because we think/believe. "Credo ut intelligam" -- "I believe in order that I may understand." (It is a little far-fetched since it was argued that if you don't think or believe in a table, thus it doesn't exist physically.)
"I think I am, therefore I exist" was by Descartes who believed that God exists in your mind if you are capable of thinking up a Perfect being. If you cannot think up a Perfect being, then it will be difficult for you to believe. That was a catch-22 because basically if you don't know God (the Bible, et cetera), then you cannot UNDERSTAND God. How could a person who wants to understand God in order to believe?

"The very impossibility in which I find myself to prove that God is not, discloses to me His existence." -- Jean De La Bruyere

There are many answers to a supreme being's existence. If you take up Philosophy, you will read some interesting viewpoints. All statements I cited were from my Philosophy textbook. I remembered many arguments very well.

Very good question... I dont know what should I answer... :dunno: It would be great to learn something about this issue from here... like what Reba´s or gnarlydorkette´s post. I hope it will come more posts to add here...

Do you know about the numbers right? Do the numbers ends? Where did the numbers came from? It is excatly same as God. He was always there and still there. The verses did explains about him being there as always somewhere in proverbs and pslam and somewhere in Luke or something.

Cheri said:
First I would like to ask a question about Where did God come from? This thread is going to related everything about the bible.Please no off-topic with polities in this thread Thank-you. ;)

When I was reading the first verse of the bible, the bible explains the beginning of everything, expect God? Does that mean God never had a begining?

If God didn't created himself, is God self-existent (sp?)?

My guess is that God has always existed. From physics I remember in high school that energy cannot be created or destroyed only transferred or something like that. So I think God never had a beginning and will never have an end. I can't back it up though it's only what I personally think without any backup. Ha.

Reba said:

I agree with Reba! Also, I have been told more than once that while we are yet living on this earth, it is not for us to know where God came from, but to move ahead, having faith, be believing, be happy in doing good service to others and we will know the answer in the next life.

And please, with love and good will, I ask your permission to post these scriptures (in parts) if you would not mind:

10 Which was given by inspiration, and is confirmed to others by the ministering of angels, and is declared unto the world by them—
11 Proving to the world that the holy scriptures are true, and that God does inspire men and call them to his holy work in this age and generation, as well as in generations of old;
12 Thereby showing that he is the same God yesterday, today, and forever. Amen.

16 For the Lord God has spoken it; and we, the elders of the church, have heard and bear witness to the words of the glorious Majesty on high, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.
17 By these things we know that there is a God in heaven, who is infinite and eternal, from everlasting to everlasting the same unchangeable God, the framer of heaven and earth, and all things which are in them;
18 And that he created man, male and female, after his own image and in his own likeness, created he them;
19 And gave unto them commandments that they should love and serve him, the only living and true God, and that he should be the only being whom they should worship.

28 Which Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are one God, infinite and eternal, without end. Amen.

Yes, God does live, always has and will continue to live as God forever. :angel:

A few verses from the Bible

The Bible gives us a few hints about God's existance.

John 1:1 & 14 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, theglory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Here we see that God is called the Word and came to live with men. If He created men, then that must mean that He existed before men did.

John 17:5 - And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

Philippians 2:7 - But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

Colossians 1:17 - And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

Again, stating that He existed before the world.

I hope that this is a help to you.

Trent

God is Alpha and Omega

Revelation 1:8 -- "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty."

Revelation 1:11 -- "Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea."

Revelation 21:6 -- "And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely."

Revelation 22:13 -- "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last."

Back