Question- mouthing

I think mouthing is alright. If you're signing in ASL, it doesn't mean you're mouthing in grammatically correct English; you're mouthing in ASL, at least in key junctures. To not mouth at all, most of the time, makes one look like a zombie or something, lol....

What is ASL morphemes???

Do you mean mouthing english word like you speak without being vocal in english grammar structure while signing asl?
Like this *sign* "me go store saw friend chat all night wow real nice see her"
and you mouth this "I went to the store and I saw my friend. So we chatted the whole night and it was really nice to see her"?
How that work out? Because english is much longer than sign unless you're motormouth LOL.

What about expressive mouthing that have no real vocal meaning like "shaaaaa" when signed hit the gas pedal to go very fast?

Well for me I'm weird because I sort of combined mouthing some words I signed and use expressive mouthing for some other too. And when someone signed to me I'll mouth what they signed sometimes so I understand them better.
I don't know if I can really speak because I never use it in public not even with my fiance because I'm extremely shy about using my real voice to talk and when my CI surgeon forced me to speak he wrote down "very good, exceptionally good for your type of hearing loss" :dunno:
Any tips on how to break the shyness to use my voice to sharpened my oral skills?

I had an interpreter friend at RIT who told me this...

She said that interpreting students are encouraged to not mouth or talk while signing in ASL. The reason for this was to separate English and ASL since both don't follow same grammar structure.

While some skilled interpreters can do both at the same time, it can be difficult when that person is a student or is learning to use ASL. The mind has to think about proper English structure when speaking/mouthing, but also think about proper ASL structure when signing. So, it becomes difficult to sign ASL when you're used to speaking English.

In order to sign ASL well, it's encouraged to not speak or mouth. That way, you can focus only on your signing.

That's what I was told.

That makes total sense!!!i understand completely now!
but the teacher should still be the example!

What is ASL morphemes???
(snip)
What about expressive mouthing that have no real vocal meaning like "shaaaaa" when signed hit the gas pedal to go very fast?
Yes, that is it. Mouth morphemes means the special things you do with your mouth to communicate grammar. Like the sign for "fat" is just one sign, but with your mouth and face you can say "just a little fat" or "REALLY REALLY FAT". Also "cha" for big things, etc.

Mouthing means forming English words with your mouth when you sign...different thing from mouth morphemes.

umm... *raise my arm*
I sign while use my mouth move with actual voice. *mumble*

I like both! Cuz, I grew up with oral til I was 14 yrs old and went to deaf school in New York. I guess that is my habit move lips with signs... There is nothing wrong.

That is not mean that I'm in hearing world! LOL... pfft :dunno2:

:afro:

M-

Right on - same here - it is a habit. I still need other people to mouth when they sign to me. I can understand interpreters if they mouth as I still rely heavily on lipreading more than on signs themselves.

umm... *raise my arm*
I sign while use my mouth move with actual voice. *mumble*

That's not mouthing, that's sim-com! If you're actually speaking when you sign, it's not mouthing. Mouthing is when you don't make sound while you do it. :D

That's not mouthing, that's sim-com! If you're actually speaking when you sign, it's not mouthing. Mouthing is when you don't make sound while you do it. :D
Yup, I was just gonna say......

What is ASL morphemes???

Do you mean mouthing english word like you speak without being vocal in english grammar structure while signing asl?
Like this *sign* "me go store saw friend chat all night wow real nice see her"
and you mouth this "I went to the store and I saw my friend. So we chatted the whole night and it was really nice to see her"?

How that work out? Because english is much longer than sign unless you're motormouth LOL.

Well for me I'm weird because I sort of combined mouthing some words I signed and use expressive mouthing for some other too. And when someone signed to me I'll mouth what they signed sometimes so I understand them better.
I don't know if I can really speak because I never use it in public not even with my fiance because I'm extremely shy about using my real voice to talk and when my CI surgeon forced me to speak he wrote down "very good, exceptionally good for your type of hearing loss" :dunno:
Any tips on how to break the shyness to use my voice to sharpened my oral skills?

that's Pidgin / Sim Com - not ASL because you mouthed the word in 'English Order" To sign in ASL, it would be like this (it's tricky to do this here because there is no way I can insert mouth movement / facial expresseion above the glossings) anyway it's... " STORE GO ME HAPPEN MEET FRIEND ALL-NIGHT TWO-OF-US CHAT WOW GOOD SEE-HER AGAIN"

ASL morphemes:
A few basics of American Sign Language (ASL) Linguistics
ASL:
American Sign Language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if you use 'google" or 'search' i.e., asl linguistics, asl, asl morphemes, etc.., you will find alot of information.

I am used to mouthing with ASL or English sign language('60s) without sound to Deaf community. I think the reason is because there is some signs that resemble few word meanings so not to confuse what we are signing and not making the person understand.
I think there is nothing wrong to use mouthing without sound while signing. There are some Deafies who don't use mouthing at all, just sign only. Sometimes I get lost when they sign different meanings with the same sign word. Remember that a hearing person want to know if Deaf can lipread someone very clearly. No, we also misunderstand what the hearing person say when we lipread. So that is example of what Deafies who don't use mouthing while signing. We get misunderstand what the Deaf person say. :smile:

I think mouthing helps the speaker think about what they're saying and maintain their vocabulary/grammar skills.

Which of you..prefer mouthing to no mouthing while signing...
Like as in moving your lips while signing..
Is it really part of grammar!?

i ask because my current teacher says its some part of grammar
but i dont understand she mouths allllllll the time (but we're not allowed to)
the 4 yrs before this class my other teachers never said no mouthing bc they did it also...
so im sooo confused..
my current teacher gave me an article...
but it was really lame..so i didnt really pay much attention
i wanna know whats the right thing to do!
please and thank you!
:ty::ty:
I was always told to sign with out mouth movements or speaking. Yet now that I work teaching deaf and hearing work shops. I find that talking while signing helps the hearing. But often confuses the people born deaf. So it's really a catch 22. I guess if it's not going well in class to try and work at not mouthing while signing in a mirror that's how I learned not to. ;-) At home I sign and talk so my dad keeps up with his singing because he's hearing. With full hearing I often just remind them to look at me when talking. ( I read lips and speak) how ever with full deaf I normally just sign with out mouthing or speaking... I can only guess maybe she's mouthing to help people understand, yet wants her students able to sign with out doing so.. I don't know if this will even help. But that's my opinion for what it's worth.
Maya

Back