Question for Parents of CI children

ThreeLittleBear

Reaction score
I've seen a few times on these boards where people have thought that by choosing a CI for our child that we are taking the easy way out.
So I wanted to know, are your lives easier since your child has gotten a CI?

I know mine isn't. My life would be much simpler if I hadn't chosen this. She would have only a couple appointments a week, for say the signing instructor and for OT, rather than all the ones she has now. (and for those out there who think my daughter's time would be better spent on things other than speech therapy - my daughter loves going to speech therapy.)

Actually I would like to add another question too, again for parents of CI children. Do you ever regret or 2nd guess your decision?

I am not a mother of deaf kid (I have two hearing daughters and I am deaf)but rather an aunt of niece who had her CI when she was very young but wanted to respond to your part about taking your daughter to numerous appointments.

I had speech therapy 2 hours 5 days a week for 17 years. It is critical to have speech therapy frequently because we forget how to pronounce words. It does not come automatically to us because we cannot hear to know immediately. Of course, I could have been playing outside or swimming but I was stuck in an office, doing speech therapy. I remember being mad that I couldnt be like other kids that time.

I have not had speech therapy since I was 18 years old - and its been 21 years and I forget how to pronounce many words now. Looking back, I realized how important speech therapy was for me. I wish I could still go to speech therapy to keep my memory up but it is not feasible.

It is really worth it to have your daughter to go to numerous appointments, etc despite being time-consuming because it does make a huge difference.

Trust me, you are doing a good job with her :)

This is very individual matter.
This does NOT work for everyone.
Do NOT trust anyone whoever said "Trust me"
IF you have any doubts, then do NOT do it.

Y said:
If you have any doubts, then do NOT do it.

:roll:

Errm...was that necessary? :ugh2: I had hoped to see more CI or oralism or whatnot threads being answered with maturity, not snide remarks or name callings etc like in other past threads.

ThreeLittleBear said:
Thank you! I can think that in my head all I want, but it's still nice to hear from someone else occasionally :)

I wish my mom had this forum in 1970s. SHe is still doubting her decisions to this day. I remember catching her crying many times when she thought I wasnt looking. I asked her why she cried - she said it is because of guilt of her decisons. It will never go away. You will always wonder if you did the right thing. I keep reassuring my mother that she did fine with me and my deaf brother. :)

Gemtun said:
I have not had speech therapy since I was 18 years old - and its been 21 years and I forget how to pronounce many words now. Looking back, I realized how important speech therapy was for me. I wish I could still go to speech therapy to keep my memory up but it is not feasible.

Same here, I wish I could still go to speech therapy too since there are many words that I have a hard time pronouncing.. Thanks to RR and my three children, they usually correct me when I do say it wrong...

:Back to the topic:

I think you're doing great ThreeLittleBear, I know it's alot of work and etc but I think it's worth it as long as it helping your child

^Angel^ said:
Same here, I wish I could still go to speech therapy too since there are many words that I have a hard time pronouncing.. Thanks to RR and my three children, they usually correct me when I do say it wrong...

Oh yes, my youngest always help me out! I tell her that she should be a speech therapist one day! She is good at explaining pronouncations to me! ;)

Gemtun said:
Errm...was that necessary? :ugh2: I had hoped to see more CI or oralism or whatnot threads being answered with maturity, not snide remarks or name callings etc like in other past threads.

Same here... :hyper:

My grandson will be implanted at the end of this month and it is most likely my son, his father, will be implanted depending on his testing for eligbility for CI in a couple of weeks.
I am wondering how long ago your daughter was implanted?
It's very obvious you love your daughter so much you're willing to give your time to taking her to her appointments, etc. That's a lot more than parents would be willing to give up.
Good job!
Great thread!

I would have remained in speech therapy more often IF it was more FUN than plain boring. I am glad that your daughter loves going there.. as long it is fun.

I do remember earlier speech therapy was fun which involves music and etc but later on, it got boring and tiring as I grow up...

ThreeLittleBear said:
I've seen a few times on these boards where people have thought that by choosing a CI for our child that we are taking the easy way out.
So I wanted to know, are your lives easier since your child has gotten a CI?

I know mine isn't. My life would be much simpler if I hadn't chosen this. She would have only a couple appointments a week, for say the signing instructor and for OT, rather than all the ones she has now. (and for those out there who think my daughter's time would be better spent on things other than speech therapy - my daughter loves going to speech therapy.)

Actually I would like to add another question too, again for parents of CI children. Do you ever regret or 2nd guess your decision?
Regarding if our life is easier... I do not know. I cannot compare it to a life with a child that cannot hear. We have a child that can hear thanks to CI.
But the question extends to beyond us. Because for her grandparents the answer is definitely YES! They were ready to learn sign, but this is not an easy task when you are 60+ and only see your grandchild 2 to 4 times a year. For our friends the answer will be YES, since the same is valid for them. Learning sign to communicate with 1 person is quite a task.
Again a big YES in the case we would have used oral method instead of sign. In that case it would have been Norwegian, and dutch family and english and dutch friends would not have been able to communicate with her. Nor she with them. (In a satisfactory way)

So, a child with CI is still a lot of work, but a lot of worries are taken away.

Regarding regrets about the decision... no. None at all. We see her progress every day. Some small, some bigger, some mindblowing. We see he participate in the funeral of her grandfether when he had died. Music was a key factor here, and we could tell she was a part of that.

Y said:
If you have any doubts, then do NOT do it.
"Trust me" is not something to go by. Nor is the general assumption of the group one is part of. It takes courage to take a look for oneself. That's what I find admirable about Boult, Greema and Fragmenter, and some more, that have been able to look beyond their own groups assumptions.

I had to do the same and looked away from my general group view. And I learned a lot, and what a saw and learned was part of the equation.

ci on son

i dont regret at all implanting our son at 16 months old. Every day is a new adventure for him. the theropy is once a week and mapping are spread out. It was hectic in teh beginning but I see how he is progresing and I wouldnt change a thing.its all been worth it!11111 :)

greema said:
I am wondering how long ago your daughter was implanted?

She had her surgery on May 9th when she was just over 2yrs old, and was activated a month later on June 9th.

ThreeLittleBear said:
She had her surgery on May 9th when she was just over 2yrs old, and was activated a month later on June 9th.

Did she wear hearing aids before then? If so, has there been any developments in the last month?

I know it's been only a month but I'm always anxious to read about everybody's experiences :)

I don't regret my decision one bit. It's definately a lot of work with the therapists and at home as well, but the outcome is worth every moment of it. Kayla likes going to see her therapist too. It's more like play time for her.

Gemtun said:
I had speech therapy 2 hours 5 days a week for 17 years. It is critical to have speech therapy frequently because we forget how to pronounce words. It does not come automatically to us because we cannot hear to know immediately. Of course, I could have been playing outside or swimming but I was stuck in an office, doing speech therapy. I remember being mad that I couldnt be like other kids that time.

Same here. But, it's all worth it at the end. I'm glad that I've gotten to be able to talk correctly but there are times that I've forget how to pronounce words myself, My son, Markus would correct me, or my dad or step-mother. ;)

I apology for going off-topic alit bit. ;)

ThreeLittleBear said:

As a mom for amost 30 yrs now (where did time go???) I can tell you that if you never question the decisions you've made you'd be kinda weird. :) Everyon 2nd guesses themselves whether it's about a CI or in the case of my youngest the best way to educate her. And I admit that we've taken a wrong turn or two so don't worry to much about your mistakes or possible mistakes, just remember to be flexible and listen to what your child may be telling you through his behavior. All communication isn't done with voice or sign, some is harder to figure out.

Fragmenter said:
Did she wear hearing aids before then? If so, has there been any developments in the last month?

She did, but she had absolutely no benefit from them. Her hearing tests were exactly the same when she was tested both aided and unaided. To put it in perspective - an airplane could fly 3 ft over her head, and she wouldn't be able to hear a thing!

Even though it's been only a month, she's progressed so far! She's saying "up". She makes a few specific sounds for certain things. Like "mmmm" for milk. And she even mooed last week (my mom was reading her a book about cows). She's fallen in love with the tv now. And she's even started responding to her name - she never did that before even with signing.

Back