Question for interpreters - where did you gain experience signing?

kdl88

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a not bad but not great signer taking community night classes at ASD. I really love the language and am picking it up fairly easily so far (for whatever reason). I am thinking about possibly training to become an interpreter. My question is once I have finished the level 3 class, that's about as far as I can go that I know of. The closest college level interpreter class is almost an hour away one way for me which is not really doable with three kids and a single income (me). My knowledge will need to increase somehow outside of that and after level 3 the internet doesn't provide that much more help beyond either. I'm curious how to go to that next step from a level 3 novice (whatever that means skill-wise) to being able to sign fluently, nevermind interpret.

As an interpreter how did you get into signing, and once you started, how did you take that next step to fluency? Did you do volunteer work, etc? This question doesn't really apply to CODAs or people with close family or friends where you had a person(s) you could sign with every day. I'm looking for the people who didn't have that kind of opportunity available and how they got to fluency.

My teacher doesn't have an answer for me and because the classes are at night and during summer break there are no other terps on site to ask. It has been suggested to go to Deaf clubs, though I don't want to intrude on anyone by me just randomly showing up. I would imagine a Deaf club is for Deaf people to socialize and they probably don't need someone asking them every 5 seconds "What does that sign mean or how do you sign *fingerspelled word*?" but maybe I'm wrong. I just respect people's space and time.

I'd really appreciate feedback as to how you took that step from first learning all the way to knowing the language enough to be able to interpret.

And if you have had a story similar where you didn't become a terp but gained fluency through untraditional means, I'd be curious to hear that as well.

Thanks!
K

Hello,

I am a not bad but not great signer taking community night classes at ASD. I really love the language and am picking it up fairly easily so far (for whatever reason). I am thinking about possibly training to become an interpreter. My question is once I have finished the level 3 class, that's about as far as I can go that I know of. The closest college level interpreter class is almost an hour away one way for me which is not really doable with three kids and a single income (me). My knowledge will need to increase somehow outside of that and after level 3 the internet doesn't provide that much more help beyond either. I'm curious how to go to that next step from a level 3 novice (whatever that means skill-wise) to being able to sign fluently, nevermind interpret.
To become a certified interpreter, you will have to take college level interpreting classes, and have a college degree.

This link gives the nitty gritty information about interpreter certification:

RID - Certification & Education

From that link:

"A minimum of a bachelor degree in any field or an approved updated/2012 Alternative Pathway to Eligibility application must be recorded in the candidate’s RID account AT THE TIME OF TESTING FOR ANY RID PERFORMANCE-BASED EXAM. This applies to ALL exam candidates, including those who already hold RID certification."

As an interpreter how did you get into signing, and once you started, how did you take that next step to fluency? Did you do volunteer work, etc?
I first learned very basic signing at my church. From there, I started taking more community sponsored ASL classes and workshops. Eventually, I knew I had to bite the bullet and take and ITP (Interpreter Training Program) from a college. There was only one college in my state that offered an ITP, and it was at the opposite end of the state, so I had to take distance learning courses. During that time, I also attended local Deaf social events such as silent dinners and picnics. I volunteered interpreting at my church. After I got my degree in interpreting, I started interpreting professionally. Since getting my degree, I continued to take workshops and other training to continue learning and improving my skills.

This question doesn't really apply to CODAs or people with close family or friends where you had a person(s) you could sign with every day. I'm looking for the people who didn't have that kind of opportunity available and how they got to fluency.
Get involved with the Deaf community for exposure and practice but DON'T use your deaf friends for study buddies. They are your friends first; improving your signing is just the gravy.

My teacher doesn't have an answer for me and because the classes are at night and during summer break there are no other terps on site to ask. It has been suggested to go to Deaf clubs, though I don't want to intrude on anyone by me just randomly showing up. I would imagine a Deaf club is for Deaf people to socialize and they probably don't need someone asking them every 5 seconds "What does that sign mean or how do you sign *fingerspelled word*?" but maybe I'm wrong. I just respect people's space and time.
You can join in at a local Deaf club as long as you don't make it seem like a homework assignment. Just get to know each other. Be prepared to answer a lot of personal questions. You don't have to ask "what does that sign mean?" If you don't understand something don't fake it. Just indicate that you don't understand, and usually the signer will either repeat or rephrase or spell something to help you understand.

You don't have to spell something and then ask, "what is the sign?" If you are conversing and spell something that has a sign, someone will probably give it to you without asking.

If you've gone thru three levels of signing, you should already know the basics for a social conversation. You know how to ask and reply to the who, what, when, where, and why questions.

Just remember, you are a guest at their meetings. :)

One warning: watch out for the jokesters. There's always one in each crowd that will delight in showing you the wrong signs intentionally. :roll: Fortunately, everyone in the group is usually aware of that and will help you out. :) Just have a good sense of humor.

I just realized that you live in CT. Are you anywhere near Hartford? You should have some good opportunities from the American School for Deaf.

The National Theater of the Deaf has its home base in CT, too. That could also offer some cool opportunities.

That's actually where I am taking classes - ASD = American School for the Deaf. Maybe I need to be patient and wait for the fall classes because right now the place is a ghost town. I go from 6 PM - 8 PM and as I mentioned, no interpreters other than my teacher. I tried asking her questions after class but she is usually in a hurry to get out of there due to having a job waiting for her or what have you.

I'm sure there are Deaf clubs around, but I have no idea where they are. You mentioned distance learning classes... how do you do that with sign language? Skype?

That's actually where I am taking classes - ASD = American School for the Deaf. Maybe I need to be patient and wait for the fall classes because right now the place is a ghost town. I go from 6 PM - 8 PM and as I mentioned, no interpreters other than my teacher. I tried asking her questions after class but she is usually in a hurry to get out of there due to having a job waiting for her or what have you.

I'm sure there are Deaf clubs around, but I have no idea where they are. You mentioned distance learning classes... how do you do that with sign language? Skype?
The distance learning that I had was held in a classroom of another school, that was set up with monitors (TV screens), cameras, and microphones. We could see the instructor and students at the other site/s, and they could see us. When we took written exams, a monitor from the site school would proctor the test. When we had to do performance exams, we would be recorded at our site, and the tape would be sent to the instructor for grading (overnight shipping). Now they probably can do online downloads instead. Each student has a table-top microphone that the student can tap, and then the camera will turn on that student. After a little practice, it becomes natural.

Have you checked out these organizations?

CAD - Main Page

Events

Thank you for your responses by the way! I do appreciate it.

To become a certified interpreter, you will have to take college level interpreting classes, and have a college degree.

Yeah I've been to that site. Lots of information there. I'm not at the level yet to do interpreting by a long shot. Not yet anyway. :)

Get involved with the Deaf community for exposure and practice but DON'T use your deaf friends for study buddies. They are your friends first; improving your signing is just the gravy. You can join in at a local Deaf club as long as you don't make it seem like a homework assignment. Just get to know each other.

Definitely not something I would do (using people as study buddies), though my CODA friend has graciously offered to tutor me when he has time. Except he never has time... LOL. I would actually rather just make friends than try to find a tutor. Just by conversing on a regular basis I think would do wonders for my signing skills.

Be prepared to answer a lot of personal questions.
I'm definitely used to that and quite happy to oblige. It's one of the reasons I like hanging around deaf people. There's definitely a sense of community and genuine caring.

You don't have to ask "what does that sign mean?" If you don't understand something don't fake it. Just indicate that you don't understand, and usually the signer will either repeat or rephrase or spell something to help you understand.

One thing I think that makes learning sign a unique challenge is there is no "reverse-lookup" of signs. You can type the English word along with ASL into Google and generally find the sign you need, but it's hard to do the opposite by entering "hand moves like this, sweeps around other hand, this shape, etc." So at some point you have to either ask, come across it in a dictionary (or online) or figure it out based on context.

You don't have to spell something and then ask, "what is the sign?" If you are conversing and spell something that has a sign, someone will probably give it to you without asking.

If you've gone thru three levels of signing, you should already know the basics for a social conversation. You know how to ask and reply to the who, what, when, where, and why questions.

I've actually been signing before the classes with my CODA friend and his family (both parents deaf). Thankfully I have that stuff down (due to trial by fire... lol) to some extent otherwise I'd be quite lost! :) It's my receptive skills that are quite lacking. (Another reason I'm nervous to show up randomly at a deaf club, my slow receptive skills. I'd like to get them more respectable before making people impatient...)

Just remember, you are a guest at their meetings. :)

Indeed. :)

One warning: watch out for the jokesters. There's always one in each crowd that will delight in showing you the wrong signs intentionally. :roll: Fortunately, everyone in the group is usually aware of that and will help you out. :) Just have a good sense of humor.

Good to know. Thankfully I haven't encountered this yet but I will definitely watch out for it! I can be a good sport when I know it's not malicious...

Have you checked out these organizations?

CAD - Main Page

Events

Yes, I actually met Mike a couple of times (past president of CAD; he lives with my friends parents). I haven't had much luck finding any events or really anything for CT on the CRID site.

I'm in the process of trying to convince my wife to go to the Deaf awareness day at Lake Compounce; figure it'd be a win-win. She and the kids get to do amusement park stuff, I get to possibly make friends. :)

One thing I think that makes learning sign a unique challenge is there is no "reverse-lookup" of signs. You can type the English word along with ASL into Google and generally find the sign you need, but it's hard to do the opposite by entering "hand moves like this, sweeps around other hand, this shape, etc." So at some point you have to either ask, come across it in a dictionary (or online) or figure it out based on context.
There is this book:

The American Sign Language Handshape Dictionary - Richard A. Tennant, Marianne Gluszak Brown - Google Books

I have it, and it's good. There's just not enough of it (not enough signs). It's a start.

It's good to learn how to properly describe signs. The description should include: hand shapes, hand positions (including dominant and non-dominant), palm orientation, fingertip orientation, and direction of movement. That makes it easier to decipher a sign's description.

... (Another reason I'm nervous to show up randomly at a deaf club, my slow receptive skills. I'd like to get them more respectable before making people impatient...)
Understandable. :)

Good to know. Thankfully I haven't encountered this yet but I will definitely watch out for it! I can be a good sport when I know it's not malicious...
In our group it was an elderly gentleman. Sometimes it was simple, fun, sign puns. Other times, it was suggesting sign names for the newbies, with not appropriate meanings. :giggle:

(Another reason to not be overly anxious to get a sign name assigned.)

Yes, I actually met Mike a couple of times (past president of CAD; he lives with my friends parents). I haven't had much luck finding any events or really anything for CT on the CRID site....
I don't know how far you want to drive but you're also welcome to attend events of surrounding states.

Thank you again Reba. Everyone else, I'm still looking to hear from your experiences as well, there's no right or wrong answer. :)

Thank you again Reba. Everyone else, I'm still looking to hear from your experiences as well, there's no right or wrong answer. :)
I know that there are at least a few other terps at AD but they post less frequently. There are also some ITP students, so maybe they'll have some ideas for you.

Reba: Although this wasn't addressed to me, your reply to the OP was so very helpful. Thank you. AD always has the answers. Thanks again.:ty:

I would say get out there, as Reba said. I started taking classes at the local ITP on a whim after meeting a Deaf person. I had no intention of becoming a terp. I just wanted to learn how to sign.

Remember that practice with peers in your classes is great, but you can only rise to a certain level, where you already are, since you're practicing with people who don't know the language that well. To really become fluent, you have to get out there and get involved in the Deaf world.

That really sunk in when a CODA teacher of mine said that was the only way to learn the language. I started frequenting more Deaf events like silent dinners, DNOs, fairs, parties, etc. And that's when you get exposure to different styles of sign, different signs themselves, and become more fluent yourself as you are occasionally called upon to do impromptu interpreting (like terping food orders, etc.)

Once you start getting involved, you become much more fluid and get corrected more often, as opposed to school where you can wait on a grade for weeks for a specific project. You also get invited to more events that are not super-advertised to the masses, and you know what's going on, what the new signs are, what the hot topics in the local Deaf world are. And that betters your interpreting, because then you know more than the local Sign students who are just going to class and practicing on their own. It also helps because if you interpret for that person later on (personally or professionally), you know more about them and what they might have to say.

Also, see if there's a specific area of interpreting you enjoy. I love Deaf-Blind interpreting; I am not one for church interpreting. I met a lot of great people by volunteering to do DB outings in my area.

Just get involved. You'll make awesome friends (and Reba's 100% right, not study buddies), become fluent in an awesome language, and improve your own skills. That in itself is the greatest reward. I would say hook up with a local chapter of interpreters in your area.

I actually just got invited about 1/2 hour ago to join my CODA friends parents to a Deaf Poker club. What a great opportunity. Meeting new people, playing poker and ASL are all things I really enjoy and I'll get a chance to do all of them at once! I'm both excited and nervous!

Believe me, I have never asked a Deaf person or even my friend to be my study buddy or anything. The only thing I did ask was if they knew any tutors, though they didn't. My CODA friend said "what about me" when I asked about tutors which suprised me, however he just hasn't had time.

Up until tonight I had no idea where to meet any Deaf people or other signers other than random chance. (Ironically I just bumped into three Deaf ladies at the fireworks display I went to. Chatted a little small talk but that's about it.) And Friday I had a friend tell me he has a Deaf friend he wants to introduce me to. Strange how it went from kind of wandering aimlessly to suddenly meeting cool new people.

I'm quite excited!

Back