Question about bisexuality

I've always thought it was possible to be a true bisexual but judging by what I have heard, it sounds more like nothing but a transition type of thing.

The only reason that I ask is because I've always questioned where I stand on orientation because of a bad experience I had when I was younger.

I think bisexuality is a valid sexual orientation by itself -- it's so easy to be confused when one is in a transitioning/learning period, and bisexuality is convenient in this period for a lack of better explanation or word. I think bicurious is a better word for those who are confused and not ready to take on commitment of what truly attracts them. It does not mean there are no true bisexuals.

I see no issue about being attracted to both sexes.

I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't a valid orientation. Simply that it was transient. Your explanation of convenience supports the point I was trying to make, although I'm not sure I would use that word. More than convenient, I think it is a valid way to keep from revising one's identity completely when to do so would be more than the individual could deal with. More of a mechanism to protect oneself emotionally and psychologically.

I've always thought it was possible to be a true bisexual but judging by what I have heard, it sounds more like nothing but a transition type of thing.

The only reason that I ask is because I've always questioned where I stand on orientation because of a bad experience I had when I was younger.

Having had a homosexual experience does not make you bisexual, nor does it affect your true sexual orientation. Many heterosexuals have had a homosexual experience (in fact, there is data to show that more have than haven't), but it does not mean that they have a homosexual or a bisexual orientation. The same in reverse. Many homosexuals have had a heterosexual experience, but it doesn't mean that they have a bisexual or a heterosexual orientation.

I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't a valid orientation. Simply that it was transient. Your explanation of convenience supports the point I was trying to make, although I'm not sure I would use that word. More than convenient, I think it is a valid way to keep from revising one's identity completely when to do so would be more than the individual could deal with. More of a mechanism to protect oneself emotionally and psychologically.

Jillio, I don't doubt some people use 'bisexuality' for that very reason.

There are some true bisexuals, some are just transition. It depends.

Having had a homosexual experience does not make you bisexual, nor does it affect your true sexual orientation. Many heterosexuals have had a homosexual experience (in fact, there is data to show that more have than haven't), but it does not mean that they have a homosexual or a bisexual orientation. The same in reverse. Many homosexuals have had a heterosexual experience, but it doesn't mean that they have a bisexual or a heterosexual orientation.

I've had some people think that I'm a lesbian but I always say no I'm not one because most of my fantasies have men in then and they are very x rated and though I think about what's it's like with women, my fantasies are not nearly as explicit. Women just don't interest me as much. I tend to think in erotic terms rather than romantic terms for both genders, btw. I ID as straight but with some bi tendencies.

Oh, absolutely, life is always in transition. Even if one has committed to a homosexual lifestyle, or a heterosexual lifestyle, there will still be constant transition. I am referring, a bit more specifically, to the individual who is, in reality, homosexual, but is having great difficulty, for whatever reason, of accepting that. To declare one's sexuality in terms of either heterosexual or homosexual is kind of an either or proposition. Bisexualtiy is not a committment to either of those lifestyles, but leaves one the freedom to float between the two. The stigma attached to homosexuality is still so great in some segments of our society, that the fear of being so stigmatized prevents the individual from truly accepting their own homosexuality completely. As long as the option of returning to an opposite sex relationship remains for this individual, they can avoid and delay indentifying, accepting, and committing to the homosexual tendencies in themselves.

Perhaps I should have described it more as a process than a transition. And, then again, I could be completely off base. That is why I am asking. I'd like to have an accurate perception.

I don't believe that there are "true homosexuals" or "true heterosexuals". I believe that everyone has a degree of attraction to members of the same sex. Some are more latent than others.

Those that do have issues of acceptance of their sexual orientation usually have same sex phobia that is attached to it. Afterall--in a man-man relationship, who cleans the house, who takes out the garbage, etc? Normally their upbringing taught them different and they have to figure out the roles themselves in order to make the relationship successful.

Those roles were defined early on that the woman takes care of the house and the man brings home the bacon.

No one has explained what the roles are for same-sex couples and normally the same-sex couple has to define the roles themselves.

It's a complex issue and hard to have a dialogue on a forum when its easier to sit in the same room with you to have this discussion.......

I know you understand about roles in a relationship and I'm not sure if I am answering your question correctly.........:hmm:

I don't believe that there are "true homosexuals" or "true heterosexuals". I believe that everyone has a degree of attraction to members of the same sex. Some are more latent than others.

Those that do have issues of acceptance of their sexual orientation usually have same sex phobia that is attached to it. Afterall--in a man-man relationship, who cleans the house, who takes out the garbage, etc? Normally their upbringing taught them different and they have to figure out the roles themselves in order to make the relationship successful.

Those roles were defined early on that the woman takes care of the house and the man brings home the bacon.

No one has explained what the roles are for same-sex couples and normally the same-sex couple has to define the roles themselves.

It's a complex issue and hard to have a dialogue on a forum when its easier to sit in the same room with you to have this discussion.......

I know you understand about roles in a relationship and I'm not sure if I am answering your question correctly.........:hmm:

No, you did a good job within the limitations of this forum.

I will agree with you regarding latency. By defining someone as homosexual or heterosexual, I simply meant a matter of preference, and that of claiming a particular lifestyle as the one with which they are most comfortable.

And you are correct. Gender roles is a complicated subject. Entire volumes have been devoted to the topic...we could hardly cover it sufficiently here!:giggle: Gender roles are complicated no matter if the relationship is hetero or homosexual.

I've had some people think that I'm a lesbian but I always say no I'm not one because most of my fantasies have men in then and they are very x rated and though I think about what's it's like with women, my fantasies are not nearly as explicit. Women just don't interest me as much. I tend to think in erotic terms rather than romantic terms for both genders, btw. I ID as straight but with some bi tendencies.

That's quite normal actually.

I've seen the term biphobia, so I guess true bisexuals might be using that to describe those who think that there are no real bisexuals.

An explanation for the thing about prostitution and being professional: Prostitution is the world's oldest profession.

Hannah (the girl who I had a crush on) started out as lesbian, and then in the past couple of years fell in love with guys.

:aw:Hey Im bisexual and yes it's posible alot of people ask the same Question to me only they ask me why i just say its my way of saying it doesn't matter if your girl or guy love is about love not sex or money or anything of looks its on inside that count

I also have another question: Is it possible for a woman to identify as a lesbian, but seek out a straight man on the side?

The only reason I ask is because I met up with a woman that identifies as a lesbian, but for some reason, wanted a man for a night. Without saying more and shooting myself in the foot, does stuff like this happen often?

I also know another woman who was a lesbian for many years, but recently left her lover to be with a man.

I also have another question: Is it possible for a woman to identify as a lesbian, but seek out a straight man on the side?

The only reason I ask is because I met up with a woman that identifies as a lesbian, but for some reason, wanted a man for a night. Without saying more and shooting myself in the foot, does stuff like this happen often?

I also know another woman who was a lesbian for many years, but recently left her lover to be with a man.

Well here thing that mean she sexually confused cause i had problem when i was softmore and now i junior :) ii know how she feel :) and please dont be afraid to ask question and dont shoot u self it no solve anything

I'm bisexual right now and used to be fully gay during teen life and think about want back to fully gay in later life.

I'm really want Americans to learn more tolerate on GLBT rights and their culture as well, I don't believe in religion that integrate into constitutional, it does violate my rights, privacy and equal rights, I almost feel have no much respect for America since other countries like UK, Canada, France, Spain, South Africa, New Zealand, many parts of Europe and some part of South America are offers gay marriage, civil unions or other unions in whole of their country.

I want DOMA and state law that ban on gay marriage or unions to be unconstitutional then remove from constitutional, it does violate our rights, privacy and equal rights.

Back