question about asl grammar/syntax

jaggedstone

Reaction score
Sorry if this seems like a silly question. I'm hearing and I just finished taking ASL 1, taking ASL 2 next semester. My teacher is Deaf but mainly focused on teaching us words and basic conversation, not really focusing a lot on ASL syntax and grammar. I really, really want to learn correct ASL though, so I try to practice it all the time and learn as much as I can :D

Anyway, I know when you ask questions like "Your name what?" the word "what" goes at the end, but if you are signing a sentence like..

"I don't know what I was thinking" (that might be a bad example sentence, but I hope you get the idea) ...what would be the correct way to sign that? would the word "what" still go at the end?

thanks. I appreciate it :ty::ty::ty:

"Sorry, stupid me."

LOL! Good one, Bott! I like the conceptual way you interpret!:giggle:

BTW on the "What is your name? I would simply sign name with eyebrows raised to indicate a question, and then point at the individual.

Yes, in ASL grammar syntax is "Your name what?" I sign in SEE (Signing Exact English) so I use the proper English grammar of "What is your name?"

ASL Grammar/Syntax is much more complicated than I can begin to describe or you can begin to understand online, but:

GENERALLY, the Wh is on the end of sentences for only 2 reasons-- either when asking a question to another person (though it isn't always at the end) and when you are asking a rhetorical question, (I went where? the store). Often when ASL students learn this rhetorical rule they COMPLETELY overuse it, but it is a way to create a basic ASL sentence.

If you were saying something like "I don't know what I was thinking" in ASL, you probably wouldn't use the sign "what" at all. But if you did it wouldn't fit the rules above, and wouldn't go at the end.

Hope this helps :)

don't push yourself too far too fast jaggedstone.

that is why your ASL is in levels, all will be introduced in good time :)

Thank you, signer16 :)

I know I should push too far too fast, ASLGAL, I guess I'm just really really excited to learn :D

Some Deaf teachers do not know how to use ASL.

Which means they are incapable of teaching ASL.
Who is responsible of hiring them?? Their hearing counterparts that manages the programs..

In 5-10 years there will be much much more hearing people signing in much more fluent ASL than the deaf.

Sorry if this seems like a silly question. I'm hearing and I just finished taking ASL 1, taking ASL 2 next semester. My teacher is Deaf but mainly focused on teaching us words and basic conversation, not really focusing a lot on ASL syntax and grammar. I really, really want to learn correct ASL though, so I try to practice it all the time and learn as much as I can :D

Anyway, I know when you ask questions like "Your name what?" the word "what" goes at the end, but if you are signing a sentence like..

"I don't know what I was thinking" (that might be a bad example sentence, but I hope you get the idea) ...what would be the correct way to sign that? would the word "what" still go at the end?

thanks. I appreciate it :ty::ty::ty:

You typically only use what at the end if you are trying to ask a question. "Your name what" is an excellent example of something being asked.

Grammar in ASL is more then just the order your signs are in. Eyebrows up, eye brows down, shaking the head yes or no, facial expressions, etc.. are all a part of ASL grammar too.

http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-layout/grammar.htm

Some Deaf teachers do not know how to use ASL.

Which means they are incapable of teaching ASL.
Who is responsible of hiring them?? Their hearing counterparts that manages the programs..

In 5-10 years there will be much much more hearing people signing in much more fluent ASL than the deaf.

If the schools were hiring deaf persons, very experienced interpreters, etc.. there would be no miss-use of ASL.

Back