Queer - derogatory or not?

"corn-holer"? I've never heard of that one.

Yeah it's considered derogatory.

I don't want to be blunt but visualize a corn-on-the-cob going into a hole.

You get "corn-holer". Also AC/DC is considered derogatory as well.

"Butt Buddy"

It was actually the name of a device for bird hunters that hung on one's belt to rest the buttstock of a shotgun on while walking in the field. It was available in Cabella's catelogue. But the manufacturer had to change the name because so many hunters made fun of it and so many others were offended.

"Butt Buddy"

It was actually the name of a device for bird hunters that hung on one's belt to rest the buttstock of a shotgun on while walking in the field. It was available in Cabella's catelogue. But the manufacturer had to change the name because so many hunters made fun of it and so many others were offended.

:giggle::giggle:Thanks for the giggle.

You have the link?

You should know what I'm talking about. ;)

It's the same as deaf people, some prefer not to label deaf people "hearing impaired" while I feel there is nothing wrong with anyone labeling me "hearing impaired" every individual is different, they have their own acceptance of describing themselves.

Read the first post of this thread. Queer is considered to be "empowerment" while hearing impaired is more of 'medicial view' and have negative connotation to it.

Read the first post of this thread. Queer is considered to be "empowerment" while hearing impaired is more of 'medicial view' and have negative connotation to it.
Hearing impaired is a medical view? :rofl: That's what you think sir, I don't view "hearing impaired" as a medial issue. I view it as being part of being deaf. You know the word "hearing impaired" is a symbol for Deafness

Like I said You might don't like to be labeled "hearing impaired" while I don't care, it doesn't bother me.

If you are not homosexual it does not give you any right to call any homosexuals queer.

Hearing impaired is a medical view? :rofl: That's what you think sir, I don't view "hearing impaired" as a medial issue. I view it as being part of being deaf. You know the word "hearing impaired" is a symbol for Deafness

If you are not homosexual it does not give you any right to call any homosexuals queer.

Symbol ?! that s new to me.

If gay people objected that I use 'queer' then i wont use it. But so far, no one has object me using this term.

Bi or straight people have no right to tell me what to do or say either ;)

Symbol ?! that s new to me.

If gay people objected that I use 'queer' then i wont use it. But so far, no one has object me using this term.

Bi or straight people have no right to tell me what to do or say either
;)

Until I mentioned it.

Bi-sexuals who are in a same sex relationship have the same right to say they object to being called, "queer" because they are in a same-sex relationship.

I don't have a problem with you calling your brother, "queer". That is you and your brother's right to do so.

I called you on it as I find it a little bit appalling. Especially since he is your brother.

But of course brother's are known to beat one another up just like I did when I was growing up.......

Finally someone who are gay here :)

My opinion, it depends on how people use the word "queer", but I rarely see people use "queer" to insult the GLBTs. Most of the times I see GLBTs use "queer" as pride, and seems like it became less offensive word. I do experience people insulting me about my sexual orientation and mostly of them was a "fag", also I never been insult by using the "queer", except for that some of my GLBT friends being proud of being queer.

It's the same as the word "bitch", some people use it to insult females, but some of teenage girls use that word to be pride as being bitch.

Other example, Dick. Some of people use it to insult the males, but some of people use it as a boy's name, even a company "Dick Hannah" which sells the automoblies.

Queer seems are more less and less offensive, and more pride now :)

But of course brother's are known to beat one another up just like I did when I was growing up.......

Jeebus. It s your own person opinion and for your sake, I wont call you queer whatsoever. :)

Btw, I use 'queer' around with my gay friends.

"Butt Buddy"

That reminds me of another product called "Nutty Buddy"...

Athletic Cup Supporters Protective Mens Safety Equipment

Jeebus. It s your own person opinion and for your sake, I wont call you queer whatsoever. :)

Btw, I use 'queer' around with my gay friends.

It's also a generational issue as well.

As a person of an older generation, the term, "queer" was, is and has always been derogatory.

Now we see the younger GLBT's using that terminology and I don't think the young ones know what the older GLBT's had to endure for them in terms of fighting for acceptance and such.

Post "Southpark", 'Queer' is better than 'Gay'!

With the - maybe? - Queer ('Gay'?) authors of "Southpark" determined to make the meaning of 'gay' to be 'boring', or 'corny' (even my kids use 'gay' as a pejorative term now!), maybe it's better to be Queer. I call myself Queer, partly because I think 'gay' now sounds trivial, and probably gets used to describe guys into what some might consider to be lightweight persuits: fashion, drek, kitsch, show-tunes, popular clubs, bars, cafes, good tan - whatever. 'Queer', somehow, seems to mean sort of a regular guy. Then again, 'filthy' now means 'cool' (which used to be 'hot', and sometimes still is..). But if people say to me: "Are you gay?" I answer: "I'm gonna reply to that, but first I have to understand what YOU mean by 'gay'? Do you mean some guy who wears women's clothes when no one knows? Or a guy who tries to pick up teenagers in public toilets? What is YOUR definition of 'gay'?"

By the way: I'm of 'the older generation', too - and it reckon it's good to take possession of anything that oppresses you and turn it on its head: so that's why, in Australia, some of we Queers don't mind calling ourselves Poofters - which was Aussie slang maybe worse than 'Fag!' if it got yelled at you in the street. Now you can get it on a T-shirt. It's all good - the answer to all those pejoratives is: 'Yeah, so what?'

Well, I'm in an older generation, too. I've never used "queer" to address anyone. It's grossly impolite, but maybe politeness is a generation thing, as well.

"Homosexual" is the only descriptive term I've ever used when necessary to refer to someone's same-sex preferences.

Gay means "happy," "merry," "lighthearted"--something homosexuals don't have a lock on, so the term is at least a misnomer, if not pejorative.

When I see the word it always makes me think 'out of the norm'. I wouldn't want it being used if trying to gain acceptance in the world.
It's a bigot term. Should try to snuff it.
There are other words one can take pride in but this one denotes...different-odd in a bad way,etc.

people used to call things retarted now its "thats gay" are they really meaning "thats homosexual" ? or is gay just a word?

Back