public school

Wow, this is a tough situation. Its fantastic that you have no problem with reading and math. I hope you don't give-up. English is my first language as a hearing person and I still haven't become fluent.

My grandson has problems reading. Hopefully they will figure out how to leap that hurdle before middle school.

I wouldn't blame the OP for having weaker grammar skills, because after all Sign Language has no true concept of Grammar, and unfortunately, with writing and a lack of viable methods to express emotions, subtle differences in grammar make a big difference.

I was considered special ed reading, but now I am certainly far above average from my peers in just about every academic subject, so don't worry, :) At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what your peers or teachers think of you, so long you are an honest person to yourself.

I know this is old, but how are you doing now? :)

:shock: :what..."no true concept of grammar" ?
Seriously not sure what you mean by that because ASL has its own grammar, NOT related to English....so it certainly has its OWN concept of grammar. Just like Spanish or Arabic have their own concepts. Including complex emotional components.

I wouldn't blame the OP for having weaker grammar skills, because after all Sign Language has no true concept of Grammar, and unfortunately, with writing and a lack of viable methods to express emotions, subtle differences in grammar make a big difference.

I was considered special ed reading, but now I am certainly far above average from my peers in just about every academic subject, so don't worry, :) At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what your peers or teachers think of you, so long you are an honest person to yourself.

I know this is old, but how are you doing now? :)

Shushugah, you kiddo, don't brag so much on this forum :P *chides you*

Want to learn ASL so you can give better opinion on it? :P :P

Eh, there's no written grammar form, in terms of modifying your actual signs? Emotions are critical but that doesn't transcribe well onto paper, but other written languages DO.

Eh, there's no written grammar form, in terms of modifying your actual signs? Emotions are critical but that doesn't transcribe well onto paper, but other written languages DO.
ASL has no written form but that doesn't mean there is no grammar involved. ASL does have grammar, which is shown not just with facial expression but in the way the signs are produced, and with the order in which they are produced.

Back