Profoundly deaf - anyone like me, have CI?

This is what I got from the centre via email

[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

thats not true i never really understood speech by listening alone, never.... and im lousy lip-reader so once i got ci my lipreading improved drastically and listening alone jumped to 20% in 3 months and im 21 with no auditory training or therapy. Anyone can learn if they actually try to

it would have impacted a great difference, if I had a CI, but I have been doing lip reading theapy in high school but now, since I talk to people in the hearing workplace, in the last two years, my talking and lipreading has improved dramatically without the CI (i dont have one obviously, and I never used the HA so)

I was a little blunt with them and I got an reply back again see below

all depends on what you expect a Cochlear implant to do for you?

If you expect to be able to hear more environmental sounds, assist with lipreading, alert you to someone speaking and monitor the loudness of your own voice - then given your history it should help you. A number of people use a Cochlear Implant for these purposes.

If you expect to be able hear and understand speech by listening alone through the Cochlear Implant this will not happen at this stage of your life.

I am aware of my hearing condition, I do not expect to hear and understand speech, but in bold above is an interesting part I am interested in.

I am aware of my hearing condition, I do not expect to hear and understand speech, but in bold above is an interesting part I am interested in.

if you're really interested in giving a ci a try, i'd go for it jake. don't let this ci audi discourage you. after all, anything is possible. just because you were born profoundly deaf doesn't mean you can't fully benefit from an implant even at your age.

True, Hear Again -- everyone with any condition of the hearing loss, such as for example for Skullchick, who possible have the similar diagnosis as I... but, there are cons that keeps me in an distance to it. To what the audiwhatever, has emailed to me earlier, and in bold in the previous posts sounds enough but I do not fully expect anything but it could possible help with my surroundings and the communication within my workplace. They said it should help with my background history - hearing enviroment sounds, be more alert around I and whatnot. Hmmm, interesting.

jake,

i've thought about what your audi wrote and applaud him/her for at least being honest. the last thing you want is to have too high of expecations only to be disappointed in the end.

you'll have to talk to more ci users with a similar hearing history to your own and then make the final decision as to whether or not a ci is right for you.

otherwise, if you feel comfortable having the ability to hear environmental sounds only (which isn't a bad thing!), you could always proceed with the implant.

Yeah, I want to seek CI user's advice and professional advice to see what I can get or whatnot.

I think skullchick's right about this quote below.

tinnitus while you wear hearing aids like you hear ringing louder than sound you're hearing through hearing aids or after you take it off you get loud ringing? just wondering

When I wear my hearing aids for the first time in 4 years after my first retirement in 2003, I got an bad tinnitus, but when I talk, I could hear myself talk loud
Wait a minute..

The second one was my writing when it got my attention to answer skullchick's question from the other thread (pinky's) and I remembered something..... When I was wearing my hearing aids again for the first time, I could hear myself talking and it was loud....I think the CI could beneifit a bit about my communication and its surroundings around me. --- > It is not important to understand the speech, but beneifical for the enviroment sounds and its communication. Now, that's interesting.

For the first time in what, 2 years of this thread - I have been in reconsideration after a couple of discussions within the CI's user's including my best friend - he now has a CI (freedom) and he got the same deafness level as mine and he can hear, and he explained to me more better and I understood more clearly what CI can benefit for.

Looks like I am contacting them again and seeking more answers as I have noticed they have the latest CI today - and see if they would help me due to my history of hearing loss.

For the first time in what, 2 years of this thread - I have been in reconsideration after a couple of discussions within the CI's user's including my best friend - he now has a CI (freedom) and he got the same deafness level as mine and he can hear, and he explained to me more better and I understood more clearly what CI can benefit for.

Looks like I am contacting them again and seeking more answers as I have noticed they have the latest CI today - and see if they would help me due to my history of hearing loss.

I see. so how can it benefit you? or rather - what do you hope to gain from it?

have you ever bothered to read the whole thread, Jiro?
no but the last few posts of yours confused me.

I think skullchick's right about this quote below.

The second one was my writing when it got my attention to answer skullchick's question from the other thread (pinky's) and I remembered something..... When I was wearing my hearing aids again for the first time, I could hear myself talking and it was loud....I think the CI could beneifit a bit about my communication and its surroundings around me. --- > It is not important to understand the speech, but beneifical for the enviroment sounds and its communication. Now, that's interesting.

so why don't you wear HA instead if understanding speech is not important?

Have you talked with your friend from deaf club, I think her name is Karen? She got an CI in her 40s.

Anyway, hope you'll get the answer you're seeking while doing tests and whatnot.

[/FONT][/COLOR]If you expect to be able to hear more environmental sounds, assist with lipreading, alert you to someone speaking and monitor the loudness of your own voice - then given your history it should help you. A number of people use a Cochlear Implant for these purposes.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

This is precisely why I went for CI, I am lousy lipreader even with HA's, it was 40% pre implant with voice in a sound booth 28% without voice - now it's in the 90's with voice.
I went in with very low expecations and hoped for 5% improvement, got far more than that but it came with tears, sweat and hard work.
People who wants CI needs to realise it's not an easy work and yes, the sounds would be awful at first but if they keep wearing it/work with the audiologist it will improve over time.
Hearing peers must accept it's not an overnight fix!!! and still need to treat people as they were pre implant. I have a friend who is in her 30's, profoundly deaf, BSL user and were implanted just before me she is doing well with her implant but her hearing peers have too much expectations of her so she is having tough time explaining to them that it doesn't work that way, however, with me I told my hearing peers just treat me as same as i was before Implant and don't expect anything more... they always have given me postive comments such as, "wow, your speech is clearer, that's good" that's it no more comments or pushing with negativity for example such as "you should hear on the phone if you could hear your own voice" or "if you heard [insert name] well on the phone why can't you use the phone with me" or when they heard something and asks me if I could hear it with CI -there were none of this. They go with the flow with me as I improve.

Good luck Jake.

My hubby got a CI in LATE 30's and he can hear more frquency and can hear the varies of high pitches. He likes it a lot than a HA.

good luck.,

faire -jour. i seen that film , gosh it had me in tears. very emtional, it gave me an insight into the fact that some people do better than others with implant. altough they were both happy in the end, he did alot better than she did .

Good luck, Jake. :wave:

JClarke, wow it's been 2 years and now you are coming back to give it try, may be we end up doing it together at the same time, who knows, I wish you the best, that answer from your audi is frankly rude, I would change that audi immediately and go to someone that have a better attitude.
Go for it JClarke, keep us posted, at this stage you got nothing to lose but everything to gain :)

Back