Profoundly deaf - anyone like me, have CI?

wow that cheap? Odd!! I was expecting several thousand dollars! :-o

I have very good health insurance. I'm a teacher. My insurance has a max of 1300 out of pocket expense. Once I reach that amount, my insurance pays 100% of remaining cost. Since I had surgery in July, my insurance paid 100% of all cost after my 957, for the remainder of the year. or any family member as well.

I have very good health insurance. I'm a teacher. My insurance has a max of 1300 out of pocket expense. Once I reach that amount, my insurance pays 100% of remaining cost. Since I had surgery in July, my insurance paid 100% of all cost after my 957, for the remainder of the year. or any family member as well.

ah yes yes... I've long forgotten about insurance.... sorry i got too used to having no insurance for so long that I thought it didn't exist :laugh2:

ah yes yes... I've long forgotten about insurance.... sorry i got too used to having no insurance for so long that I thought it didn't exist :laugh2:

I know what you mean. Now I have to stay with my job because I don't believe I would be able to get another insurance because of the CIs. So a downside.

who's complaining about anything?

i'm not stopping jake from getting information about ci's. i'm just trying to make sure he (and others considering a ci) don't get inaccurate information from you.

with that, i have nothing more to say since this isn't the topic of jake's thread.

I had long discussion with other ADer about kids with CI in my PM last night.

I'm bilateral sensorneutral profound loss too 95-115 db in right and 105-120 db in left but now its NR (no response) because CI destroyed my useless residual hearng and I'm 21 years old havent wore hearing aid longer than 1 week for 5 years in right ear and 16 years never wore hearing aid in left ear, I'm deaf mute use sign language and I'm in both hearing and deaf world too. And I got CI implanted in left ear.
Am I similar enough? :)

Finally I am able to login. it has been a mess.

JClarke - I have a friend who is over 18, deaf mute, and profoundly deaf and uses sign and has a CI. He hears environmental sounds and loves it. check out bluejeanguy.blogspot.com

As for me, I did not have much usable hearing at all. I only gained very little with my hearing aids, but I wore them daily. My hearing loss is a profound severe loss. My right ear only tested at 1% and my left ear at 17%. I picked bilateral CIs and it does improve the workforce and socialization.

Even if you have to wait until 2009, you need to start the process now. I hear Med-El is a great CI for difficult cases. Also never get ahead of yourself. I was denied many years ago too. As soon as I went back in 2005, I was immediately a candiate. My hearing just got worse. Good luck and remember to have appropriate expectations.

Thank you for the interesting post, I'll read the blog. Thanks!

I'm bilateral sensorneutral profound loss too 95-115 db in right and 105-120 db in left but now its NR (no response) because CI destroyed my useless residual hearng and I'm 21 years old havent wore hearing aid longer than 1 week for 5 years in right ear and 16 years never wore hearing aid in left ear, I'm deaf mute use sign language and I'm in both hearing and deaf world too. And I got CI implanted in left ear.
Am I similar enough? :)

That's what I am looking for, you're the similar example as mine. The last time I used my hearing aids was 8 years ago, and did the CI help much even though you don't use the hearing aids? Did you try and find out in the past if you were a candidate or not, or did the technology change promote you to be an candidate?

That's what I am looking for, you're the similar example as mine. The last time I used my hearing aids was 8 years ago, and did the CI help much even though you don't use the hearing aids? Did you try and find out in the past if you were a candidate or not, or did the technology change promote you to be an candidate?

Yes in fact my lipreading with listening using my CI test result jumped to 85% in 3 months after activation.
At first it was loud and shocking for me but after while so I adjust to it and now I enjoyed a lot of things like tv sound better and some of speech sound much stronger and clearer but there's some sounds I can't stand like AC and toilet flushing haha
I can't use phone, I can't listen to convo clearly with more than 1 hearing person talking to me like group setting right now but I'm still happy with it.
I used to be against CI until I lost much more hearing that I can't use hearing aid without pain, dizziness, headache so I stopped and researched on info about it and decided to get CI and I'm happy I did it.
And yes current technology also convinced me to get CI because it sound so amazin and advanced in technology than I knew 10-15 years ago.
Hope that help :)

I, myself is visiting a CI clinic very soon for tests to see if im an ideal candidate, and right now I am in the very similar situation as Skullchick...however with a curious attitud towards CI, not so much against it, but it might not be for me, as I have reasons that it would not alleviate the stigmas associate with deafnss so i dunno...however just wait and see...

I, myself is visiting a CI clinic very soon for tests to see if im an ideal candidate, and right now I am in the very similar situation as Skullchick...however with a curious attitud towards CI, not so much against it, but it might not be for me, as I have reasons that it would not alleviate the stigmas associate with deafnss so i dunno...however just wait and see...

grummer,

what do you mean by the fact that ci's don't alleviate the stigma associated with deafness? just curious.

Yes in fact my lipreading with listening using my CI test result jumped to 85% in 3 months after activation.
At first it was loud and shocking for me but after while so I adjust to it and now I enjoyed a lot of things like tv sound better and some of speech sound much stronger and clearer but there's some sounds I can't stand like AC and toilet flushing haha
I can't use phone, I can't listen to convo clearly with more than 1 hearing person talking to me like group setting right now but I'm still happy with it.
I used to be against CI until I lost much more hearing that I can't use hearing aid without pain, dizziness, headache so I stopped and researched on info about it and decided to get CI and I'm happy I did it.
And yes current technology also convinced me to get CI because it sound so amazin and advanced in technology than I knew 10-15 years ago.
Hope that help :)

It is interesting on how tehcnology changes us. YOU said that you could hear the TV better, It would be awesome to hear good sounds from a good movie, from my new TV :lol:

Born with profound/total deafness, HA's wasn't much help but wore them all the time, i couldn't hear much more sounds than jumbo jet engine. I have quite good speech due to intensive speech therapy 2-16 yrs old and oral ed all life, I am now 31, I had a CI for 3 months now and had 77% in my lipreading and listening test. Nearly got a sentence in my no lipreading test. I Thought the sentence was "the fire engine is red" but it is actually is "the car engine is running" so nearly there! My hearing is now in the 30/35 db range (most of speech range)
I can follow voices with subtitles on tv alot better since. My communcation with hearing people in shops are so much easier than before. and it's same with work collegues.

It takes time and practice to make it sucessful, I still have love and hate relationship with it but kept wearing it.

I am profoundly deaf but due to my oral education, I was able to reap the benefits of having a CI quickly. The audiologists focus more on your educational background rather than your hearing loss. I was trained to read lips and speak for over 20 years - 2 hours a day 5 days a week for 20 years got me eligible for a cochlear implant.

I got my CI five years ago and have no regrets.Did the cochlear implant help me? Yes but I slacked off on therapy as I am so burnt out on therapy - I will rather get shot in my leg in nonvital area than be dragged to yet another hour of therapy! I only use it when I have to deal with hearing people such as my family.

Interesting posts everyone. I got an reply from the SCIC (Sydney Cochlear Implant Centre) which are the headquarters in Sydney, and they said thay have been in touch with me twice over the past 10 years (1999 & 2003) and they said that they can arrange an appointment to discuss the latest in technology and there is a center in my hometown now. Oooh, I am not sure what my parents would react.

Interesting posts everyone. I got an reply from the SCIC (Sydney Cochlear Implant Centre) which are the headquarters in Sydney, and they said thay have been in touch with me twice over the past 10 years (1999 & 2003) and they said that they can arrange an appointment to discuss the latest in technology and there is a center in my hometown now. Oooh, I am not sure what my parents would react.

getting a ci (or not getting a ci) is your decision, jake -- not your parents. i too, was concerned about how my family would react after i told them about my plans to receive ci's (fortunately they were extremely supportive), but in the end, i knew it was my decision to make.

getting a ci (or not getting a ci) is your decision, jake -- not your parents. i too, was concerned about how my family would react after i told them about my plans to receive ci's (fortunately they were extremely supportive), but in the end, i knew it was my decision to make.

Back in 2003, which was the last time I had correspondence with, it was in part of a research and got me interested, and it was the same time, my friend decided to get implanted, but right now, it was total waste of money for my friend :roll: That time, I was 16. My parents weren't surprised why the mail came to me, I was like, uhhh wtf.

Back in 2003, which was the last time I had correspondence with, it was in part of a research and got me interested, and it was the same time, my friend decided to get implanted, but right now, it was total waste of money for my friend :roll: That time, I was 16. My parents weren't surprised why the mail came to me, I was like, uhhh wtf.

if you don't mind my asking, why was getting a ci a total waste of money for your friend? did the ci not work out as well as they had hoped?

I am profoundly deaf but due to my oral education, I was able to reap the benefits of having a CI quickly. The audiologists focus more on your educational background rather than your hearing loss. I was trained to read lips and speak for over 20 years - 2 hours a day 5 days a week for 20 years got me eligible for a cochlear implant.

I got my CI five years ago and have no regrets.Did the cochlear implant help me? Yes but I slacked off on therapy as I am so burnt out on therapy - I will rather get shot in my leg in nonvital area than be dragged to yet another hour of therapy! I only use it when I have to deal with hearing people such as my family.

I know the feeling.... it was exhausting... i always dreaded about going to therapy but my parents made me go :mad2:

if you don't mind my asking, why was getting a ci a total waste of money for your friend? did the ci not work out as well as they had hoped?

The CI didnt work well for her, she didnt go much threapy and she lost the CI few years ago.

The CI didnt work well for her, she didnt go much threapy and she lost the CI few years ago.

oh, okay. what do you mean that she "lost the ci?" did she lose the speech processor or did she have her ci removed?

Back