Private doctor refuse pay for a interpreter!

Because I need explain a lot of stuff to doctor about my health such seizure, family history etc... So I need interpreter so doctor can understand me very clear.
Most of that is covered on a standard medical application that has to be filled out by everyone. Family history, allergic reactions etc etc.

Most of that is covered on a standard medical application that has to be filled out by everyone. Family history, allergic reactions etc etc.
1. Even after filling out the form, the doctor usually discusses the answers with the patient.

2. Some people need help understanding and filling out the form. They can use interpreters for that.

A Doctors office needs to follow the ADA, no matter how many employees they have. The 15 employees rule applies when you are applying for a job at the office. Doctor's offices, businesses, and other places accessible to the public are still required to provide accommodations. Also, companies may claim undue hardship, but no company has EVER proven undue hardship under the ADA (unless it was within the past 5 years).

That said, I have encountered the same problem with many Doctors in the Los Angeles area. Here are the things I have tried:

-calling a lawyer. I had to call several before anyone would offer to do anything about it. The one I finally could talk with refused to provide an interpreter for the initial consultation!

-Sent a complaint to the Department of Justice. They sent me a packet 6 months later suggesting that I go through a mediation with the Doctor. There is nothing to mediate/negotiate! They need to provide an interpreter, period!

-Sent a complaint to the CA medical board. I received a response that disability accommodations are not in their jurisdiction (they only deal with malpractice, etc.).

I'm tired of this BS. This law has been in place for what, 20 years now!?!? My next plan is to file a complaint through my insurance. I have heard that some insurance companies will file a complaint on your behalf. If anyone has any other suggestions that actually lead to a resolution, I'd love to hear it.

Deaf rights

MEDICAL TREATMENT Hospitals that receive money from the U.S. government must provide equal services to deaf persons. Hospitals must be sure deaf persons can communicate with doctors and nurses. As a deaf person, you should choose the kind of communication you prefer: sign/oral interpreter, written notes, lip reading, assistive listening devices, or a combination.

When important communication is needed, the ADA says the hospital must provide a qualified interpreter. Important communication includes discussions about your sickness and what kinds of treatment are needed or available. It also includes registering at the hospital or anytime you are asked to fill out papers, providing medical information or when you are discharged. If you cannot understand the interpreter provided by the hospital, ask for a different interpreter. The hospital cannot charge you for the interpreter. The hospital may not have an interpreter on staff. If possible, try to make an appointment so the hospital can arrange for an interpreter to be there.

You may not always need an interpreter at a hospital. In many routine situations, such as having your temperature and/or blood pressure taken, taking medication, or ordering meals, written communication can be used. If you need to stay in the hospital and have a television in your room, the hospital must provide a decoding device for closed caption viewing. The hospital must also provide you with a TDD.

Classes given to the general public must also be open for deaf persons to attend. When you register for the class, let the hospital know you are deaf and tell them you need an interpreter, so an interpreter will be available for the class.

Private practice doctors are also required to follow the ADA laws. Communication is just as important at the doctor's office as it is at the hospital. Ask for an interpreter or assistive listening device. The doctor's office should provide this at no charge.

Here's what my agency says when we get calls from small doctor's offices who don't want to pay for an interpreter:

"There are two reasons to consider paying for an interpreter. The first is legal, the other is business.

Is your office wheelchair accessible? Do you have stairs but no elevator? A tiny bathroom? Providing an interpreter is the same situation. You're making your business accessible to a person with a disability.

For a routine check up, an interpreter may not be required under the law. For a person suffering from a stroke, an interpreter is required. In the spectrum between the two cases, there is a legal gray area. The more complex the situation, the more likely an interpreter is required.

But even when an interpreter is not legally required, it makes good business sense to keep you customers happy. You avoid lawsuits, you build a good reputation.

No, the Deaf person does not pay for the interpreter. Do you charge a person in a wheelchair to use the bathroom?

There are tax credits (not deductions, but money back from the government) for providing accessibility services. The first $250 is not covered, but if you spend $250 to $10,250 on interpreters, 50% of what you spend is credited back to you.

We hope you make a good decision."

My agency negotiates with small doctor's offices and will often charge only cost.

For the Deaf consumer, we encourage you to be polite, schedule your appointment far ahead (like anyone can get a doctor's appt on short notice these days), request an interpreter when scheduling, and follow up, follow up.

We also have a "pro bono" program where we donate services in certain cases. It helps if we can schedule around our busy times. So if you can't get a doctor's office to budge, call an agency or interpreter directly (check RID website for search), they may be willing to help.

DJ

Back