PRESIDENT BUSH WILL MAKE ALL DEAFS TO WORK WORK WORK and STOP SSI, SSA, AND SSDI IN N

And for the record, you can find a job. It may not be the job you want, but it is employment. I remember not too long ago working 3 jobs as a single mother to support my children. I also recall working at places like fast food restraunts and gas stations. No, that certainly wasnt my ideal job, but it did put food on the table. While working at those "menial" jobs, I bettered myself through education so that I could one day get the profession of my dreams. You cant make your dreams come true by sitting on your ass!

if anyone wasn't able to keep the job that much longer, you won't able to get more salary.

I have been stay work at grocey store for almost 5 years from $5.35 to 11.45 plus excellent health benefit and 401k plan. It was hard at the begin until I finally got a wonderful "reward" for myself to work hard and patient.

Very important... be patient and your salary will raise.

Eve, I agree with you regarding birth control. There are some idoits out there who just pop out the babies on public money....I was just playing devil's advocate there.
I do know that it's thought that middle and upper class people don't need financal help from VR, but on the other hand middle class people do seem to pay through the nose for stuff. I mean, even a lot of middle class people have trouble paying for things like hearing aids. (just look on all the BBs for parents of deaf kids . At least once or twice a month, someone's online seeking info on how to pay for hearing aids) There's also the possibilty that the deaf/hoh person has a syndrome which translates into huge health care expenses. I'm not just talking about the syndromes where the person is globally disabled (eg the ones that translate into VERY profound disabilties, where the person is: deaf, blind, profoundly MR, g-tube'd, trach'd, has AFOs and ostomies etc.)
There are "mild" severe syndromes where the kid may be high functioning in terms of IQ, but have tons of medical issues. I have one of those syndromes myself and my parents (who are middle class) have probaly spent upwards of a million dollars out of pocket on my health care!
I have been told by some militants that the hearing society OWES it to deafies to pay them their SSDI. Yet, these are the same deafies that scream "Im NOT disabled!"
Well....I can see how some militants might think that way. Remember now, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I don't like receiving SSI/Disabilty and I wish that the employment level in the whole deaf-world was higher.
However, what if the person recieving SSI/Disabilty is an oral failure and didn't learn Sign until kinda late? Hearing people were the ones who orginally thought that the oral route was so wonderful and the best thing in the world for deaf and hard of hearing folks. A lot of oral failures spent far far far too much time on becoming oral (becoming faux hearing) and so when they finally were allowed to learn ASL, they were way behind on stuff.
What if the person receiving SSI/Disabilty is one of those people who fell through the educational cracks? I remember reading in Train Go Sorry that in the '70's when most deaf and hoh attended res schools, the employment level among Deaf males was HIGHER then for the general white hearing male population. A lot of us deaf and hoh folks (especially those of us of the immediate post-IDEA generation) really didn't get appropreaite services in school, especially if we were just thrown into class with a 'terp, auditory trainer, and roaming resource teacher.

illustrator said:
You don't know how to push on the companies to hiring you. I have been done that before and did get job by being pushy.

I cant be pushy if there is a hiring freeze or they end up hiring family/friends..
that is why I am still continuing school.......the higher the degree the better your chances are.....

also in my field , counseling and psychology, a lot of people still think that is a hearing field unless working with deaf children only. I want to work as a high school or college counselor but its hard getting experience cuz you have to have a MA BUT they wouldnt hire you without experience.....its a conflict

you need a job to get experience and in order to get a job you must have experience.

illustrator said:
if anyone wasn't able to keep the job that much longer, you won't able to get more salary.

I have been stay work at grocey store for almost 5 years from $5.35 to 11.45 plus excellent health benefit and 401k plan. It was hard at the begin until I finally got a wonderful "reward" for myself to work hard and patient.

Very important... be patient and your salary will raise.

Yes exactly, very important to be patient. I work for Federal Government for twenty-two years. My salary was very lower because I did not have any experience in my background and none of College degree. I graduated from College and took some courses at R.I.T. in technology. That helps with my resume to see my background training. It helps my promotion climb up the ladder. I promoted four times. I got the awards in highly performance because of patient to communication with hearing people in the emails, etc... Encourage your colleagues attend ASL class. The communication is the key !!

I also work at Mental Health for the Deaf Group home at second shift. I must admit that I really enjoy to work with Deaf people than technology because I already become tired of work for the Federal Gov't over 22 years.

Department Mental Retardation pay is very low but excellent Dental Insurance for my kids. That is why, I work for DMR for while.

My sons are in High School now. They consider to go to the Colleges. I better prepare to work overtime during their College years to support my sons.

I agree with illustrator, VERY IMPORTANT TO BE PATIENT to stay with your same jobs many years. You will feel reward about yourself. :)

Do not Give up Yourself !! You can do it ! :mrgreen:

It may not be the job you want, but it is employment. I remember not too long ago working 3 jobs as a single mother to support my children. I also recall working at places like fast food restraunts and gas stations. No, that certainly wasnt my ideal job
Did you do this BEFORE you became deaf? Did you have any extreme health care expenses? The reason why unemployment is so high in the whole world of disabilties, is b/c our healthcare expenses are so HIGH! Not b/c we're poorly educated or "unabled"....but b/c we cannot make enough money to pay for both basic needs AND healthcare! Surely, you've read Nickle and Dimed by Barbra Erlenirich?

Deafdyke,
You had been quite lot of debate issues...
cuz you knowledge everything about it. Have no point about this..
Think twice ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL DEAF can quicker found a job ? No way impossible very quite tough for everyones and try their best search find a job. Only the way to use welfare for temporary as their support living decent until be found a job. Can be "Lucky" I do not want you being "perfect" All you spoke everything know about Deaf are lazy.. How do you know ?
Some Deaf people cannot go work due DR orders them not allowed work which there have GOOD REASON due HEALTH. You pleasant your word "You're lazy" How dare you say that? I would say You're idiot.. not enough to know more than their life alike!!!
Be try remember Lot of peoples are highest percent of barrier with Deaf peoples.. "Long way to break their teeth!"

Yes, there is actually a signifcent percentage of deaf and hard of hearies on SSI , who are on it due to other health issues. I remember reading that there's a significent percentage of deaf/hoh SSIers who have kidney issues. (the kidneys and the ears are formed in utereo at the same time)

deafdyke said:
Yes, there is actually a signifcent percentage of deaf and hard of hearies on SSI , who are on it due to other health issues. I remember reading that there's a significent percentage of deaf/hoh SSIers who have kidney issues. (the kidneys and the ears are formed in utereo at the same time)

Yeah... :) Thanks for your time..

Bullymom I agree with what u stated up in this topic.....I dont like to see anyone being labeled 'lazy' either.. cuz nobody knows what they are doing in their lives and which is none of our business either... I dont think its right to judge people for who they are and what they do in their lives.. it isnt a bad thing being on social security... or any kind of governement needs as long they are doing it right not buying stupid stuff with the government money... if they need it to provide to pay for their bills fine.. be it... I have seen a few people in here are being insulted cuz they are on social securtiy and being calling them lazy and etc... if u have a job good for you .. but that doesnt mean we have to all follow everyone footsteps... think about it.. everyone is equal.. and should be treated equally too... that my opionion.. :grouphug:

Actually, culturally Deaf people would make up a very tiny percentage of those on SSI/Disabilty. Only a very small percentage of deaf and hard of hearing folks are Deaf....

looks like we have a VERY conservative forum here...it seems to me that a lot of us here have been brainwashed by Republican rhetoric. Certainly there are lazy deaf people but I would bet ANY amount of money that most of the lazy folk are otherwise disabled.....you know the ones who claim that their back injuniry prevents them from working, or who claim that they have "ADD" ....the people who fake disabilty in other words. Most people on disabilty are on disabilty legimately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Besides, as I've repeatly said, most of our tax money goes to things like defense and corparate welfare......only a tiny percentage of our tax dollars go towards human services! I'd much rather see my money being spent on social services, then something like a thousand dollar toilet...anyone remember that? Sure, it's rotten and unfair that there are some lazy people who abuse disabilty or welfare, but welfare and disabilty payments don't make people lazy. Most people on disabilty WANT to work....that should really tell us something!

hmph, I know this is a tad old thread but I would like to hear opinions on temporary welfare (SSI, whatever you want to call it) for the deafies?

Because all of my deaf friends encouraged me to get SSI since I am 18, but I have this guilt ridden on me- I don't REALLY need it BADLY and I am sure there is somebody else in the nation that needs the money more than me. The only reason I am ambivalent because I am a full-time college student and I dont want to overwhelm myself with a part-time job (I don't handle hectic life well. I am already tensed up, so to add a job to my current lifestyle, ah, not now... :dizzy: I can do 2 hrs of job daily, that is it. I am an impatient person, :Oops: ) and I am getting tired of depending on my mother for income source. I know I am still young and all, but I am thinking maybe one or two years toward in the future, before I go crazy on account of my mother, it is getting down to get a part-time job or getting on SSI only while I am attending college. I am hoping to complete my college education within 4 years (not even ONE semester over 4 years) but... i dont know.
Don't you feel the guilt of being on SSI when you do have a relative that is willing to help out; It is the same thing with the relative- my mom is sort of like SSI for me... but comes with rules and strings compared to SSI where you just spend it on necessarties and so on and they won't say a word- unless something fishy goes on. Ah, being a half-finnish sucks when it comes to making desicions about accepting "help" from others.

Do you think it is allright for the college students who don't want to deal with the finiciail stress get on SSI to create a relief for them while they focus on their primary concern- education rather than handling all of those stupid money issues and so on- VR is enough for the college students to handle!

Feedbacks, please. I am trying to determine whether getting on SSI during college years is a good idea or not. Don't throw any flames on me, I am just trying to understand both sides before I jump on the bandwagon.

Last edited:
gnarlydorkette , Do whatever is Best for u and the right choice for you.. ull be the one in control of ur life... If u feel that ur mom helps would be better for u then stick with it...or if u want to apply for ssi then go for it.. its ur life not ours.. ur choice.*smile*

Steel said:
hey ya'all! vote Bush for EX-president of 2004!

What does this have to do with this thread? Shit, kid, you're getting dumber by the month now!

deafdyke said:
looks like we have a VERY conservative forum here...it seems to me that a lot of us here have been brainwashed by Republican rhetoric.
so many of your posts are thought out well and well written, yet i was surprised by this assertion of yours. what is the mechanism used by those, either on the left or the right of an issue, to brainwash people? rhetoric is the ability to use language effectively, and is used to persuade people. if you believe that rhetoric is the means to brainwash people, then i believe the assertion you made is gratuitous. i say this because people have the ability to hear different sides of an issue, research for themselves the arguments made, think for themselves, and decide for themselves as to what to believe. the fact that some members express conservative views is not due to brainwashing anymore than the views you express are the result of the same.
deafdyke said:
Besides, as I've repeatly said, most of our tax money goes to things like defense and corparate welfare......only a tiny percentage of our tax dollars go towards human services! I'd much rather see my money being spent on social services, then something like a thousand dollar toilet...anyone remember that? Sure, it's rotten and unfair that there are some lazy people who abuse disabilty or welfare, but welfare and disabilty payments don't make people lazy. Most people on disabilty WANT to work....that should really tell us something!
i agree with you that there is so much waste of taxpayer's money in all areas of government. the reality is that the thousand dollar toilet is found in the human services areas, too. a distressingly small percentage of our tax dollars actually are used for their intended purposes, whether it is social services or defense. i was perplexed when i learned of several websites that were established this past summer by the parents of u.s. service personnel serving in iraq. the sites were developed with the intent to receive donations and money so that the those serving in iraq would be able to have portable air conditioners and other necessities needed for the summer months. as i looked into this more, i learned that the funding wasn't there for these things. too much waste and misuse of funds is found in all areas.

Deaf258 said:
What does this have to do with this thread? Shit, kid, you're getting dumber by the month now!
if you know ANYTHING about Bush, you wouldn't have to call me that name.

cuz nobody knows what they are doing in their lives and which is none of our business either...
it is our business when our tax dollars are paying for them! we should have a say in how OUR money is being spent.

Did you do this BEFORE you became deaf? Did you have any extreme health care expenses?
nope, this was nearly immediately after i had lost my hearing and i had ALOT of medical expenses because of infection and nerve damage.

Eve said:
it is our business when our tax dollars are paying for them! we should have a say in how OUR money is being spent.

nope, this was nearly immediately after i had lost my hearing and i had ALOT of medical expenses because of infection and nerve damage.

yep on multi-billion dollar NMD (National Missile Defense) could be multi-trillion soon. :fruit:

That would create zero unemployment for 10 years. :mrgreen:

Back