Preserve resiudral hearing with Freedom Implant

Wonder if the same "type" of people work both computers and CIs?
A processor is a mini-computer, after all.

A lot of people working with CIs have degrees in EE (electrical engineering), which is often in the same department as CS (computer science). Some universities offer both as one major, the rationale being that if you are an expert in one, you should know at least the basics of the other.

The signal processing that hearing aids and CIs do involves a lot of CS and math, too - as SR171 said, fast fourier transforms (Fourier transforms have to do with creating mathematical models for waves, including sound waves), voice recognition, and so on.

Combination EECS and bio degrees are becoming relatively popular with engineering majors, because the two intersect quite a bit - as in this example.

A lot of people working with CIs have degrees in EE (electrical engineering), which is often in the same department as CS (computer science). Some universities offer both as one major, the rationale being that if you are an expert in one, you should know at least the basics of the other.

The signal processing that hearing aids and CIs do involves a lot of CS and math, too - as SR171 said, fast fourier transforms (Fourier transforms have to do with creating mathematical models for waves, including sound waves), voice recognition, and so on.

Combination EECS and bio degrees are becoming relatively popular with engineering majors, because the two intersect quite a bit - as in this example.

*head explodes*

Kinda makes me glad I'm going for liberal arts in college.

Personal experience, I can still hear sound in the ear with the implant....when my hubby talks directly into that ear I can hear him BUT I can't understand him. :) And unlike alot of people here i did get benefit from HA's but was very frustrated with that 'benefit' (probably a your milage may very thing) Which is why I got CI. One reason I went with the freedom was that statement tho. :)

Oh, so in some cases you can get a CI even if you benefit from HAs?

I was told years ago that I'm disqualified because I do benefit from HA on my left ear. I can hear almost as well with HA on right ear but sound is so distorted that I can't make sense of anything. So I get no benefit from HA on right ear.

Sounds like something my uncle would be into...he's one of those MIT types.

I was told years ago that I'm disqualified because I do benefit from HA on my left ear. I can hear almost as well with HA on right ear but sound is so distorted that I can't make sense of anything. So I get no benefit from HA on right ear.

Er...that really depends on your circumstances. There are a set "guidelines" that these CI centers follow in determining if a person is qualified for a CI. It is fairly clear who can and can't get a CI but there are grey areas. I think the hard guideline is the actual amount of residual hearing one has. The soft guideline is one's ability to understand spoken words and sentences (with a HA). It is probably there where the "fudge" factor lies.

So to answer your question....yes.

FYI - I was one of those that still could use a HA "fairly okay" (one on one or quiet environment...got tough past that) but my residual hearing was going south (loss of 80% or more). It was the level of residual hearing that clinched it for me.

ah. I have 95% loss in both ears and my hearing loss is stable (cause of deafness was rubella) and I do ok on a one to one basis in a quiet environment with my HA but not so well in other situations. I haven't worn any HA over my right ear since my teens.

ah. I have 95% loss in both ears and my hearing loss is stable (cause of deafness was rubella) and I do ok on a one to one basis in a quiet environment with my HA but not so well in other situations. I haven't worn any HA over my right ear since my teens.

I'd say on that information that you will probably find a CI centre who would be prepared to implant a CI on you.

But you'd probably find that they would opt to implant the right ear first - since there is less to lose with that ear.

My hearing loss was actually only severe, not profound. I scored around 70% on the HINT sentences, in a quite enviroment. After adjustments to the HA's I scored about the same and if you added noise in the background I scored a whopping 11%. It was that 11% which my dr. used to get an exception and approval for the implant. Now I have insurance through my employer (same place where I got the CI) but the audiologist in the implant center told me that if I had medicare/medicaid or basically anything like that they'd just say no without any exceptions. So if you're not on any gov. insurance you 'could' try to go for it. They did say that there are people out there like me who are very frustrated with the HA's and don't get the benefits that they would expect, and they really don't know why. I don't get it either since people here with profound losses think they get great benefit from HA's. Oh well now I sit here with 2 yo digital HA's and don't use them anymore.

Im pretty sure that I've said this before here, but it is relavant to this conversation. My next door neighbor is one og the head IT guys for Webster University. I call him a comouter guru. He gets sent aroung the world to address computer issues at the campuses. Anyway, when discussing Lillys CI (freedom), he always comments on how "mind boggling" the technology is. He told me that he has spent alot of time thinking about the technology required to have a computer that fast, and that small. He told me that he has a hrd time" wrapping his mind around the necessary technology".
He has also said that he would love to get his hands on one of the processors to take a look at it. Needless to say, hes not playing with Lillys.

He has also said that he would love to get his hands on one of the processors to take a look at it. Needless to say, hes not playing with Lillys.

... In another forum, in another thread...that would sound kind of creepy.

True, that would be very creepy! But the question would remain, what is your definition of a processor?

True, that would be very creepy! But the question would remain, what is your definition of a processor?

Hmmm. Processor?

proc‧es‧sor  /ˈprɒsɛsər or, especially Brit., ˈproʊsɛs-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pros-es-er or, especially Brit., proh-ses-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. a person or thing that processes.
2. Computers. a. computer.
b. controller (def. 5).

3. food processor.

Also, proc‧ess‧er.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1905–10; process + -or2]

So it could be a processor that has the "chop-and-dice" function or an actual person who files paperwork...or it can be a "controller"--buzz! zap!

Back