Prepare for the next hurricane

Isn't Ophelia really bad as Hurricane Katrina, is it?
Probably not, but the reason Katrina was so destructive is because NOLA was not sufficiently PREPARED. Those who live in Florida and along the eastern coast are not generally below sea level and don't depend on weak leavees to keep their homes from being flooded. They also seem to have enough sense to know when to get out. And, they take other preventative measures, which I am sure Reba will enlighten us to when she has the opportunity.

Bullymom, it is better to have category 1 hurricane than category 5 hurricane.
Hurricane Katrina was a catergory 4 storm.

The lower, the weaker the hurricane is. The maximum number is 5.

Now it's a tropical storm Ophelia with 65 mph max substained winds, not a hurricane anymore as of now.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
People need to evaculate from Florida, and not wait til that thing strengthening up. :pissed:

The Government need to make law tough and put a FINE or jail time on people

who refusing to evaculate.

Uhh, dear. You need to know where she is going to go before you start moving people. Evacuations aren't simple. It takes TIME to move a large number of people. We have a few 100, 000 people here in the Keys. It takes US 2 days to move everybody out, and WE are organized. The more people you have to move in an area, the longer it takes to move them. Also, factor in where the storm is heading. If it's moving towards SC, why would you want to evacuate FLORIDA? That doesn't make sense.

Eve said:
Probably not, but the reason Katrina was so destructive is because NOLA was not sufficiently PREPARED. Those who live in Florida and along the eastern coast are not generally below sea level and don't depend on weak leavees to keep their homes from being flooded. They also seem to have enough sense to know when to get out. And, they take other preventative measures, which I am sure Reba will enlighten us to when she has the opportunity.

This is true. Also, factor in water temperature and how close Ophelia is to land. The waters of the Gulf of Mexico are very warm . Warm water adds fuel to the hurricane strengthening it. Ophelia is also sitting right off the East Coast of FL, in the Atlantic Ocean. If she comes in at FL, it's unlikely she'll have the time to streghthen into a category 4 or 5 storm like Katrina did. However, if she decides to head to S. Carolina, then, she does have time to strenghten. But, that still doesn't mean she'll be the monster that Katrina was.

oh boy.. my hubby is moving to NC this weekend....I am supposed to go down there next week ...possible....sigh...

Katrina went thru Miami and killed some people there. It was not that big compared when it hit gulf coast but it did caused some damaged to the area.My friend send me pix of trees fall down and destroy property. This storm is still danger no matter how big it is or not. 65 mph wind is still danger.

We don't need another headache here.

oh no, Reba... you and your family and others
in SC area are in my prayers for safety, sigh...

At these early stages, we review what we have and what we need.

Hubby tested the chain saw, checked the extra chain and the gas/oil mix. He checked the propane tanks, and will fill the low one. He inspected the plywood we use for boarding up the windows and slider. He cleaned the gutters, inspected the trees for weak limbs, and checked the tarps that can be used for roof patches.

We checked our medical prescriptions to see if we needed to stock up.

We got an Urgent Weather Warning email for Home Depot today. They included this link. It has some good suggestions.
http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload...12_2005_list.txt-_-brand-_-supplies_checklist

Things that we have ready at all times:
*important papers in a portable safe
*backup of computer files (including some photo files) on jump drive, stored in bank safety deposit box, and in our portable safe
*bottled water
*tent, portable potty and camping TP
*manual can opener, non-perishable foods, batteries, flashlights (safer than candles), lantern, axe, large knife, Ziplock bags of various sizes, large plastic trash bags, portable radio, bottled juices, anti-bacterial wipes, and paper plates and cups

Thanks for the useful website checklist.
Geez, you seem very organized and
prepared just like one of
these brides with oil :)

Oceanbreeze said:
Uhh, dear. You need to know where she is going to go before you start moving people. Evacuations aren't simple. It takes TIME to move a large number of people. We have a few 100, 000 people here in the Keys. It takes US 2 days to move everybody out, and WE are organized. The more people you have to move in an area, the longer it takes to move them. Also, factor in where the storm is heading. If it's moving towards SC, why would you want to evacuate FLORIDA? That doesn't make sense.

THat is exactly the same thing the people in New Orleans said...

Yall are playing Russian Roulette...
Mother Nature was waiting for the right time, being sneaking...
knowing that you guys will ignore

Miss*Pinocchio said:

We are in Noah's time, aren't we ?
All those people are havin' a party, drinkin' with their wines, and all that stuff... until Jesus find them without preparin' His Comin' -- He shall take His faithful children away. One is takin' away and the other is left........

A good tree gives a good example as well.

yeah cyberred, and i did pray for Florida and New Orleans...
God did listen to our prayers... Glad that family members are safe and
less than 200 oe maybe more dead in NOLA better than 10,000. Whew

Today we will go to the store to get a few more things we need. We will keep our vehicles full of gas. We will probably stay unless the hurricane is cat 5. We stayed for Hugo (cat 4), and evacuated for Floyd (cat 5 predicted, but actually came ashore as cat 1). Hugo knocked down some trees on our current house. That was 1989, and the remaining trees are much taller now. I expect tree damage, loss of siding, and loss of shingles at least.

I keep all my family photos in plastic Rubbermaid containers, stacked in one closet. As an extra precaution, I will put them in Ziplock bags within the containers. It is quite a task because I have thousands of pictures. Whew! If the storm hits, I will probably move the containers to the middle hall, away from windows and doors. During the storm, we will probably stay in the laundry room. It is in the center of the house, under the stairwell, with a door.

We will bring in all loose outdoor objects (porch Flag, bird feeders, grill), or secure them. I empty the concrete bird bath and lay it down on the ground. I stick my hanging plants in the mulch on the ground. Hubby takes down the big Flag at the subdivision entrance, and we keep it at our house. We contact our out of state relatives to let them know our plans (to stay or go).

We will check on our elderly neighbors next door, and help them bring inside a few things. I will email Deaf friends to make sure they are keeping informed.

If we leave (doubtful this time), we will take the photo boxes with us, our portable safe, food and water, clothing, medications, extra eyeglasses, personal care products, towels, wipes, pillows, blankets, folding chairs, air mattress, family tent, family heirlooms, camera, address book, and laptop computer. (If you have a PC instead of a laptop, download to a jump drive and carry just that, or take just the CPU; don't try to carry everything; remember to reacclimate your CPU before you turn it on again because of condensation.) We will carry a small "kiddie" dome tent and portable potty. Why? We learned the hard way during the last evacuation. There are no rest rooms available when you evacuate. Not even woods. We were stuck in a non-moving line of traffic for eight hours. Fortunately, we took Hubby's work van and our car. When I had to pee, I went to Hubby's van for a little privacy and used an empty "Big Gulp" plastic cup. If we leave again, I will have my own little porta-potty setup in the kiddie tent at the side of the road.

If you travel with a pet, make sure you bring their food, water, bowls, medicine, proof of shots, and tags.

If you travel with kids, make sure you bring their favorite toys for comfort. Don't bring toys that depend on electricity.

If you travel with babies, bring plenty of disposable diapers and small trash bags, formula, food, wipes, etc.

If you leave or stay, get cash out of the ATM before the storm gets close. The banks will be closed, the ATMs run out of money, and if it is even possible to buy something after, most people will accept cash only.

If you stay and expect minor flooding, for goodness sake, at least pick valuable things off the floor and put them on tables and couches.

Fill all containers possible with water before the storm hits. That includes buckets (useful for flushing the toilet) and the bathtub. Don't store water in your clothes washer because it will rust the tub.

We will eat up most of our perishables the next few days, and makes lots of ice for the cooler. If you begin early making your own ice, you don't need to buy bags of it ahead of time.

We know our evacuation route, and our local government has placed permanent evacuation route signs along all the roads. You should plan your routes early. Try to know at least two ways out of town, one thru main roads and one thru back roads. Check all your car fluids, tire pressures, and the condition of your spare tire.

Well, I have to go to bed now. After work tomorrow, we have more shopping and preparing to do. I hope it isn't necessary, and that Ophelia will turn out to sea but I can't wait until last minute to find out.

Sigh....

WOW reba thats ALOT of information u went thru! ithink u can recall me going thru this and sitting here but we had everything batten down and since we knew we would lose our roof we knew we had our evac routes all settled we were to meet at my moms work in any events... SO that helped! we freaked on the winds poor doggies freaked on the winds they hid behind the sofa and under my bed ALL day poor things... but we made it thru mainly on high winds!

Miss*Pinocchio said:

Nobody is ignoring these storms down here. Our counties have mandatory evacuations. If we are told to go, we go!

Oceanbreeze said:
If we are told to go, we go!
That's right. Before hurricane Floyd, the police knocked on the doors of my daughter's apartment building and told everyone to leave. So they left.

I was at work this morning when one of the students (a man) suddenly got up and left the room. He came back in a few minutes later. He announced to the class, "Hurricane Ophelia will hit Monday, between Charleston and McClennanville. I have to leave." The instructor asked why he had to leave. He said, "I'm a member of the Charleston Search and Rescue Team. We have all been called in for duty." And then he left. I saw some faces look shocked.

The instructor continued the lecture for a few minutes. Finally, one of the students (a woman), looked upset and said, "Can we take a break? I need to make a phone call." The instructor said, "I will finish the lecture in a few minutes, then everyone can leave." That woman left, and others looked upset but they stayed until the end of class. That is what happened.

This is on our local station now:

http://www.counton2.com/servlet/Sat...age/CBD_HTMLPage&c=HTMLPage&cid=1031784975424

Gotta go for now. My Weather Bug is chirping at me.

Back