post office

OldNavyGirl

Premium Member
Reaction score
have anyone worked in post office before??

Because I got examination for post office soon in 2 weeks for rural carrier.... I'm curious who have experienced for taking the examinations and etc.

OldNavyGirl said:

Because I got examination for post office soon in 2 weeks for rural carrier.... I'm curious who have experienced for taking the examinations and etc.

wow.. i wudnt mind being a carrier.. i cud use the excercise.. except in the friggin' :cold: !! FORGET IT!! LOL

another thing... i didnt know you can be a carrier.. i thought those positions were for seniors only (ppl that have been working at the po for years??) :confused: interesting!!! i am curious what others will say... hmmm!!

Last edited:
zesty said:
wow.. i wudnt mind being a carrier.. i cud use the excercise.. except in the friggin' :cold: !! FORGET IT!! LOL

lol, i'm used to walking in winter... i used to deliver newspaper!!!!! :P
<drags zesty to deliver newspaper with me in wintertime.

OldNavyGirl said:
lol, i'm used to walking in winter... i used to deliver newspaper!!!!! :P
<drags zesty to deliver newspaper with me in wintertime.
I'd drag you ONG over here and walk during winter and you'll wish it was spring time...

Post Officers has no time for themselves. They gotta DELIVER DELIVER DELIVEr
and get nothing for themselves

Shame.

Very few of the carriers in this area walk. Most of them drive from mailbox to mailbox.

I don't know about other POs but the ones here require workers to begin as sorters. It is very hard to be promoted to carrier. If a carrier retires or dies then someone gets a chance. One carrier friend told us it is dog-eat-dog competition for the carrier jobs.

Reba said:
Very few of the carriers in this area walk. Most of them drive from mailbox to mailbox.

I don't know about other POs but the ones here require workers to begin as sorters. It is very hard to be promoted to carrier. If a carrier retires or dies then someone gets a chance. One carrier friend told us it is dog-eat-dog competition for the carrier jobs.

thats what i thought cuz i have a friend who work at the window at the po in rochyshit.. (he is deaf).. he had to work his way up to get that position.. he has been there for 17 yrs i think....

nozobo said:
I'd drag you ONG over here and walk during winter and you'll wish it was spring time...

umm, i love to walk. so its not a problem for me. :nana:

OldNavyGirl said:

Not me, but my deaf best friend is a mail carrier for about 5 or more years now. It's a 6 days a week job and work all through four seasons, but the pay is very, very good. She did take the exam and she passed. I remembered her telling me that the exam she took was a bit tricky because she had to read the difference in right and wrong address plus zip codes. I think there might be some more. It's been awhile since I remembered her telling me about it. By the way, good luck on the exam!

yes thats true katzie.... My friend used to be rural carrier for a year or 2 years... good pay but he didn't take the exam at beginning for some reasons until he complained and finally gave him the test but.... i'm wondering that if u did good on exam, do u get job fast? does ur friend know?

OldNavyGirl said:
yes thats true katzie.... My friend used to be rural carrier for a year or 2 years... good pay but he didn't take the exam at beginning for some reasons until he complained and finally gave him the test but.... i'm wondering that if u did good on exam, do u get job fast? does ur friend know?

Here's the answer I found from google...

"It doesn't matter whether you're an electrician, a professional person or just a high school graduate. It doesn't matter where you were born or where you grew up. If you're a U.S. citizen or an immigrant, you can get a job in the U.S. Postal Service by one of two routes -- either by getting high scores on postal entrance examinations or (if you're a doctor, nurse, or any other professional) by getting a job without any examinations. "

http://www.philnewscentral.com/cgi-bin/redirect.cgi?url=GJRCgetPO.html

I took this exam last June and passed no problem. I had a job interview last month and it lasted 5 min. I got hired. Yesterday I took drug test and fingerprint. I will be waiting to hear from them if my background is good or not. I should be start working a part time job as RCA here in my town soon.

I suggest you study the exam for few days, you can find the postal exam book at the library. Many deafies I knew did not pass cuz they were slow on the tests.

Good luck on your exams. :)

jazzy said:
I took this exam last June and passed no problem. I had a job interview last month and it lasted 5 min. I got hired. Yesterday I took drug test and fingerprint. I will be waiting to hear from them if my background is good or not. I should be start working a part time job as RCA here in my town soon.

I suggest you study the exam for few days, you can find the postal exam book at the library. Many deafies I knew did not pass cuz they were slow on the tests.

Good luck on your exams. :)

sorry but what does RCA stand for?? :confused:

OldNavyGirl said:

My aunt and her husband both work at the post office and get paid really well, I cannot give you advice on experience because I never worked at a post office before. But, I would like to say Good Luck, Hope you pass :)

OldNavyGirl said:
i believe it is rural carrier associate....
yes it is rural carrier associate. RC is already filled and this year two of them will retire and one rca will be leaving in two weeks, one job open and they hire me to take her place. I am hoping to take over RC to become a full-time position in near future.

I made a thread on Post Office and it is somewhere. I applied for the RCA position. I had been struggling to take an exam and finally I took it in December. I had this study guide to help me to prepare for the exam. There will be four sections. It is very important that you must have a good speed and accuracy. If you do, then it will be no problem for you! The exam is mainly based on your accuracy and how fast you can go. I passed the exam! So, Now I am waiting to be contacted for job openings.
I also found out that when you apply and take exam for the town you are in and you can't look for jobs in other town/cities unless you take an exam there. I was kind of upset when I found that out because I wanted to see if there is more job openings in bigger city but I can't. The only choice I have is to transfer my score to other city and I can't have the opportunity to grab the opening here in my town if there is one.
Also I was told if I decide to move my score to this bigger city for RCA position. I will only cover the person who is sick or on a vacation leave. It is like I will be on a "call". It might take me up to 6 years to move up and become fulltime job. So, I am trying to get more help and see what I can do because I want to get a fulltime job and not being on a call.

Back to the point, my biggest suggest to you is that you should know what will be in the exam and study! Practice on your speed n' accuracy. Time yourself ... THEN you should pass it no problem! If you want to know anything more, ask away! GOOD LUCK! :thumb: :)

Back