"Popeye"...Heading back to Cinemas

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Comic book classic Popeye is heading back to cinemas for the first time in 30 years.

The character graduated from comic strips to an animated theatrical series in the 1930s, and became a TV staple in the 1960s.

The TV incarnation, which ran in a variety of forms up until 2004, became a live action picture in 1980 with Robin Williams making his movie debut in the title role.

Now bosses at Sony Pictures are planning to bring an animated Popeye back to movie theaters with the help of the latest computer generated effects.

Screenwriter Mike Jones, who is in negotiations to adapt the script and direct the movie, tells Variety, "I'm an unabashed, lifelong Popeye fan. Introducing this squinty-eyed sailor to a new generation also means reintroducing him to those who, like me, grew up with him."

Popeye heading back to cinemas || WXYZ.com | WXYZ-TV / Detroit | Detroit News, Weather, Sports and More

Oh that is my fav.

Comic book classic Popeye is heading back to cinemas for the first time in 30 years.

The character graduated from comic strips to an animated theatrical series in the 1930s, and became a TV staple in the 1960s.

The TV incarnation, which ran in a variety of forms up until 2004, became a live action picture in 1980 with Robin Williams making his movie debut in the title role.

Now bosses at Sony Pictures are planning to bring an animated Popeye back to movie theaters with the help of the latest computer generated effects.

Screenwriter Mike Jones, who is in negotiations to adapt the script and direct the movie, tells Variety, "I'm an unabashed, lifelong Popeye fan. Introducing this squinty-eyed sailor to a new generation also means reintroducing him to those who, like me, grew up with him."

Popeye heading back to cinemas || WXYZ.com | WXYZ-TV / Detroit | Detroit News, Weather, Sports and More
I HAVE SEEN ALL OF POPEYE I GOT ALL ON DVD WITH SUTITLES AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR A NEW POPEYE.:deaf:

That would sound cool, I thought the live version of Popeye with Robin Williams was lame. Hope they do better this time around.

Yiz

Would be cool to see that one... I would also love for other comic books like Thundercats, Volton, etc to come to live screen and more.... would be damn awesome!!!

i cant wait for new roles of popeye,olive and bluto since 1980 for 30 years what looks like

Oh god the Robin Williams version was AWFUL!! The songs..oy, so very bad!! It can only get better.

That would sound cool, I thought the live version of Popeye with Robin Williams was lame. Hope they do better this time around.

Yiz

Rather to see Popeye in 3D cartoon, that should suit well.

Let's hope this movie is better than the one with Robin Williams!

Let's also hope that this new movie will encourage our young to eat their greens... especially spinach! ;)

Back