Police Taser 10-Year-Old Girl!

hence - a suspension with pay since the circumstance of this case is tricky and debatable. He didn't violate anybody's civil rights such as abusing them with a baton but his action on handling 10 years old child was questionable. That's what the investigation is for. They will decide if his action was warranted or not.

the prognosis of this outcome? probably not looking good for officer.

Prolly not, hence a lawsuit may be in the works and firing the officer, no matter his record, will be one of the ways to minimize the PR damage and most likely settle out of court to save the city/county from losing a lot of money in their treasury department.

Yiz

Ozark is a lot like my hometown, and actually it's only about an hour to an hour and a half north of here on the other side of Mt. Magazine.

They're a small city with few financial resources. A lot of these officers are part-time officers that also work regular M-F jobs, or they may also work for the Fire-Dept part-time. It's not a high paying job but you still get the same stressors and shits that you would find in a bigger police dept such as LRPD or even Pine Bluff PD (both towns are rough places for Arkansas).

Some of the officers may not even be certified to handle certain situations or even properly trained in such cases. Most people that go through the police academy in Camden are trying to go to work for bigger PDs, or even for the State Police so it's unlikely that some of the Ozark officers may not have even been to the police academy. They just don't have the resources or funds to send prospects to the academy for further training.

Now as for tasing the child - that was a no no. The way a former police chief from a neighboring city explained it to me is - an officer can tase a child ONLY if the child is armed and threat to themselves and others.

The child and mother should have worked as a team to hogtie the child and throw her in the back of the police car. But seems to me like the mother was standing by and directing the officer to 'tase her' when the officer really need an extra set of hands to restrain the child.

Back