Please Read

TheIronQueen

Reaction score
I have a CI in my right ear, and I joined this forum before I was implanted. It disturbs me to read the vehemently anti-CI threads all over this board. The bottom line is CI's are not for every deaf person! Those who have chosen to implant themselves or their children do it because they truly believe and feel that it is best for themselves or their child. Those of you that feel comfortable enough to live your lives completely deaf, that's awesome, I applaud you. That does not mean that you should be borderline rude and aggressive to those who desire CI's. The deaf community should work together and be supportive of one another, CI's, HA's or no aid alike.
You cannot choose what is best for someone you do not know. Perhaps the deaf person lived in the totally hearing world all their lives and suddenly lost their hearing, they should be encouraged to do something so drastic in the world of prosthetics and medicine, they need your support and acceptance in their choice, whether or not YOU would do it.
Thank you for reading.

I'm on your side about the CI issue. It's a very personal decision, and there is no need to attack someone just because they decide to get a CI for him/herself or implant his/her child.

I agree with cdmeggers so don't worry about the push for conformity to one style of deaf life.......and best wishes on your journey.

I have a CI in my right ear, and I joined this forum before I was implanted. It disturbs me to read the vehemently anti-CI threads all over this board. The bottom line is CI's are not for every deaf person! Those who have chosen to implant themselves or their children do it because they truly believe and feel that it is best for themselves or their child. Those of you that feel comfortable enough to live your lives completely deaf, that's awesome, I applaud you. That does not mean that you should be borderline rude and aggressive to those who desire CI's. The deaf community should work together and be supportive of one another, CI's, HA's or no aid alike.
You cannot choose what is best for someone you do not know. Perhaps the deaf person lived in the totally hearing world all their lives and suddenly lost their hearing, they should be encouraged to do something so drastic in the world of prosthetics and medicine, they need your support and acceptance in their choice, whether or not YOU would do it.
Thank you for reading.

:werd: Eloquently posted--also adding; when one does indeed go for it (getting a C.I., Ha's, etc.), any encouragement would likely be very much appreciated as well as being thoughtful or supportive.

~RR

I totally agree. Unfortunately, these people that you speak of comes on this will not listen. Yet, they keep reading on the posts and informing their objections. It's is simple. They do have control of their movements with the mouse to click on another thread. It's not that hard. If they object to it, that's OKAY, but to literally say, "OH my Gawd! CI sucks! CI is NO GOOD!", then they don't back themselves up. That...makes...me...:rl:

I agree. It get old after while its always SAME. I wonder why can't they just don't read ci thread if they don't agree with ci? Why can't they just stay away and look at something else? And also when someone bash on ci and it makes me and everyone with ci feel like we're being attacked and I got email about deaf event to meet people but I backed out last minute to go bowling instead of to deaf event because I'm little worried about how they'll react to me with ci since seeing how they react in here on ci forum. People need to think about how their bashing, flaming, trolling, or any fancy word for saying their opinion against CI affect other people. Makes us feel like we're "unacceptable" in deaf society/culture/community.

Thank you for reading.

This is exactly what I have been saying for months. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

:werd: Eloquently posted--also adding; when one does indeed go for it (getting a C.I., Ha's, etc.), any encouragement would likely be very much appreciated as well as being thoughtful or supportive.

~RR

RR you have a way with words. Loved how you said it. Parents need support and we would love some support from the Deaf community. I know how important it is for my children to role models that are going to be kind and caring and accept them for who they are oral deaf teenagers. We are lucky that we do live in a large community that has oral deaf, Deaf people. But there are parents out there in rural community that need support. :ty::ty::ty::ty::ty::ty:

I totally agree. Unfortunately, these people that you speak of comes on this will not listen. Yet, they keep reading on the posts and informing their objections. It's is simple. They do have control of their movements with the mouse to click on another thread. It's not that hard. If they object to it, that's OKAY, but to literally say, "OH my Gawd! CI sucks! CI is NO GOOD!", then they don't back themselves up. That...makes...me...:rl:

I know if people don't like implants that fine click somewhere else.

I agree. It get old after while its always SAME. I wonder why can't they just don't read ci thread if they don't agree with ci? Why can't they just stay away and look at something else? And also when someone bash on ci and it makes me and everyone with ci feel like we're being attacked and I got email about deaf event to meet people but I backed out last minute to go bowling instead of to deaf event because I'm little worried about how they'll react to me with ci since seeing how they react in here on ci forum. People need to think about how their bashing, flaming, trolling, or any fancy word for saying their opinion against CI affect other people. Makes us feel like we're "unacceptable" in deaf society/culture/community.

SkullChick, this is why I am so careful as to what type of deaf people my children meet. I want them to meet deaf people but I do not want someone blashing my children for my decisions.
It is sort of like how I feel sometimes. I am not Mexican enough for the Mexicans and I am not white enough for whites. So this is my question where do my children fit, where are they going to accept them for who they are. Any ideas.

Hey at least the anti-CIers aren't as hardcore as they USED to be. I really don't see a lot of vehemetly anti-CI posts here. It's getting better. You guys should have been in DumbNotes several years ago......now THAT was bad!

Hey at least the anti-CIers aren't as hardcore as they USED to be. I really don't see a lot of vehemetly anti-CI posts here. It's getting better. You guys should have been in DumbNotes several years ago......now THAT was bad!

Agreed. And there are numerous accusations of "anti-CI" agendas on this forum that are unequivocably untrue.

You're dreaming.

You're dreaming.

Actually, she's right. DeafNotes.com was one of the most anti-CI sites I ever went to. I stopped posting there years ago when more deaf forums started popping up. Thank god for having more choices in what forums to post at.

The anti-CI rants you see here are nothing when compared to the anti-CI rants at DeafNotes.com. Yes, we do get it here and it can get bad sometimes. But let's just be grateful and it's not DeafNotes.com where they let any anti-CI rants get by and shun the CI users at all costs.

I understand what you saying, i really do. :)

But, they're entitle to their opinions, take a look at Religious forum, many people believe in different Religious. You'll have some who are anti-abortion, pro-life, pro-choice, some who believe in theory of Evolution, some who opposed gay marriage. I could go on and on, But I'm sure you understand my point. But, that's the way it is in life, You are going to have disagreements made by other people. I see it happening around me every day.

The important thing is that you know what you want in life, if you're happy with your cochlear implant that's all it should matters who cares what other people would think. Their opinions shouldn't effects your life. You should just not get too distracted by their negative opinions.

There are balance of positives and negatives in cochlear implants threads, not just negatives. You can't focus only on positives because it’ll never be 100% positive. :)

Back