please help me, I need a career change

This is definitely not a place for me. You are right, English is not my first language, my hearing loss has been bad lately, that is why I call myself deaf. You are right I am not using the right terminology. Not only that, but it is also true that I wrote in panic mode while talking to my father who is in another country and suffers from dementia. If you knew my name you could look up the state salaries in Texas and would find me, but I have nothing to prove to people like you. I have always made over 50k, it is sad that you would not expect an immigrant and/or a HOH person to be able to make a living as a professional. It is ok, I know now the kind of people that answer in this forum. I hope not everyone is the same, but when you are losing your hearing, and there is no hope, you dont know ASL, and you feel lost, scared, and in a new world of silence. Given that English is not my first language, reading lips is a lot harder for me, the last thing anyone needs is the kind of answers you have given me. If you had nothing nice to say you could have kept quiet.

You're making some pretty big, and snarky, assumptions there. I can't speak for anyone else, but I doubted your profession because of your poor use of capitaliztion and sentence structure. But considering you "know the kinds of people that answer in this forum" :cool2: and also considering that you think that we think a deaf/HOH can't be a professional and make 50K a year....you sound like you think we're all on ssi and bagging groceries or something. Which begs the question......why are you asking us to give you pointers on career choices eh??:hmm:

Yeah, I understand all about being late deafened, afraid, not knowing ASL and having a hard time communicating. I started losing my hearing in my early 20's. Your preaching to the choir honey, but I'm having a hrad time digging up much sympathy for you. I'll explain below.

I was not going to answer anymore, but I need to say thanks to diehardbiker. I am not out of work, I am sorry if that is what I implied, what i meant was I am trying to get a career change because of the pressure that I feel. I am a citizen because my husband is american. I can read lips in Spanish, no problem. In English the phonics and the way the mouth shapes words makes it harder for me, but I can get by, I think. Anyway, I am not a loser diehardbiker, if I was I would have given up already. I am just trying to figure things out before I lose my job or in case there is a point I cant do it anymore. Thanks for posting for me. I wish you the best. I am off to find a place where people arent treated the way I was here.

Yo got some really thin skin, I think you're going to get offended where ever you go. How you were treated? What because nobody pointed you in the direction of a career?

After I started losing my hearing, and one my kids were in school, I parked my but in front of my computer and logged onto the Technical College in my area and browsed through their programs of study, looking for something that I was interested in doing, and that my hearing wouldn't be a huge obstacle.

So yes I'm a deaf/HOH professional, I'm an LMT, a Licensed Massage Therapist. Between my paychecks, a little over 40K a year, and my cash tips, totally off the books ;), yep, I make about 50K. I'm a single mom getting NO child support. You're a 40 year old woman and you come on here wringing your hands wanting us to tell you what to do. Meanwhile you already have degrees!! If you learned ASL you could teach at a Deaf School, as has already been suggested, you just dont like the answer. You have a law degree? You're a certified?? that's kind of weird, lawyer in Peru? I'm going to assume then that you got your degree in Peru, so I have doubts that is going to do you much good here, I'd imagine that law in Peru is different from law in the USA, so that might be kind of useless.

Honestly though I'm puzzled. I haven't looked again at the what Reba posted, but you said you had more loss recently? You say your loss is severe and/or profound, I forget. But you also said you weren't aided that you were in denial of having hearing loss, and yet you also say that hearing aids don't help you. That is very confusing. Do you have aids?? Have you gotten new ones since you had more loss? If you have more loss, chances are you need more poweful aids. You're late deafened, you have a leg up, you have auditory memory, you should do fairly well with hearing aids. I'm late deafened, profound in one ear and profound to no response in the other and I frigging love my hearing aids even more than I love coffee, they help me tremendously. Are they perfect? Hell no, they're tools not magic wands.

By the way you answered your own question. Yes a career counseler could help you. Sheesh

Okay I'm usually tactless, and I know it. But I have to admit, I'm pmsing lol. I have no patience, sorry if I seem harsh, I just have this urge to reach through the computer and shake you, tell you to grow a pair. Seroulsy the damsel in distress grates on me, if you want something done, if want changes, you have to do it yourself.

I really have no idea, but the way she respond, I knew she got offended by some ADers. I don't want to be detective figure out which members. That is not going to do any good because naturally Deafies respond like that sometimes. I admit I was one of them and I know it is not fair or right thing to do. Now, what I wanted to see is get the bridge build between Deaf and Hearing people.

What helps me realize is that after over 5 years dealing with all kinds of Deafies and Hearing people who deal with Deafies. I see both sides.

I wish I can share details but that would violate others' confidential, all I can do is share my experience and what I seen and heard on regular basis.

You can PM her, and hopefully she can feel related with you since your teacher.

I am not sure exact what happened to Jillio and still had no idea, past is past. We can't fix it but what we can do now is try to make positive change.

Let me clarify...Jillio created a thread of support for those who were late deafened and it was a very successful thread. Too bad that many people forgot that and just focused on the negatives about her. The point is, a thread has been created to give support for people like the OP.

I wanted to give credit where it was due.

Wow, I didn't know this. I was in early stage in understand frustration between D and H. The longer I work, I have change in my heart.

I have spoken with several ISP technical support trying to understand why Deafies are having trouble with them. It was just misunderstand at best. That is where I realize that when hearing people deal 100,000 hearing people and all sudden had to deal with one Deaf customer and was not expecting anything and out of 100,000 customer they assist, how many of them got VP? And Deaf EXPECTS them to know about it. I asked myself if I am in their shoe, and IF I am hearing person, I probably would feel the same way... Deaf? What is it? VP what? I would get lost and would felt offend by Deaf people telling me that I am idiot.

Yes, we need to give credit when it is due. I believe that Deaf people need to learn to give credit those hearing people who are willing to learn about them and sadly rarely it happens.

Let me clarify...Jillio created a thread of support for those who were late deafened and it was a very successful thread. Too bad that many people forgot that and just focused on the negatives about her. The point is, a thread has been created to give support for people like the OP.

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/62953-adjustment-late-onset-deafness.html

This one? I like that thread. I read through the later part of it, it's kind of huge, not long after I joined. It didn't really "help" me, but I wasn't looking for help. But it was nice reading about people's stories, the feelings they had/have, it was very reassuring to know I wasn't the only person feeling the way I did.

ASL itself is not even 300 years old language yet. I know it is over 200 years but under 300.

It is good thing that somebody finally crack open the door for Deafies, if it were not for America, we Deafies may be out of luck and in dark room with nothing to live on.

There have been great improvement on quality of life for Deaf people, however its still long way to go. One most recent change about Deaf is that recently, about couple months ago that Department of Transportation FINALLY recognizes that Deaf Drivers are no worse than hearing drivers and finally allow Deaf to drive 18 wheelers. That is another breakthrough proving Hearing people that Deafies are no different than them (Hearies) just that they can't hear or speak verbally.

U know, Jillio created such a thread and she got perma banned. So much for giving people the support they needed....
In all fairness, Jillio did not get banned for creating the late deafened support thread.

Hello you have problem on lots of anxiety high anxious and scary. lose control life! I know experience cope manage life anxiety it is very not easy anxiety disorder

ASL itself is not even 300 years old language yet. I know it is over 200 years but under 300.

It is good thing that somebody finally crack open the door for Deafies, if it were not for America, we Deafies may be out of luck and in dark room with nothing to live on.

There have been great improvement on quality of life for Deaf people, however its still long way to go. One most recent change about Deaf is that recently, about couple months ago that Department of Transportation FINALLY recognizes that Deaf Drivers are no worse than hearing drivers and finally allow Deaf to drive 18 wheelers. That is another breakthrough proving Hearing people that Deafies are no different than them (Hearies) just that they can't hear or speak verbally.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow..I didn't know that. That's great news!

Maybe my situation can relate with feelings..
Born with constant ear aches, extreme pain through childhood, hoh,
outgrew the ear aches in pre-teen years with hearing loss which progressed over the years.
got my first hearing aid in 2nd grade, didn't help.
Ive had my high profile government job since 1994 got a new hearing aid in 2004 since my boss said it could help me since I deal with people on a daily basis and it worked great ( big change since the one in the 1970's )
in 2008 I was injured, had 2 spinal surgeries to my neck and still need surgeries to my back. Now my hearing aids quit working and cant afford new ones and the VR is not responding to me ( lady is pissing me off with the run around)
So now, I am disabled and Id love to be back in the work force to make some real money again (50-80K) But I have since lost most of my hearing as it has really went downhill since 2008, I am in a world of silence without aids and I have a hard time at auto part stores, shopping, dealing with insurance companies ect... yes its scarey since the world of silence is NEW to me, not something I was born into and accoustomed to over the years, yes, I was hard of hearing but was able to cope, now without knowing enough ASL or resources Im alone trying to cope with the world of deafness.

thanks

Thanks to those who posted with kindness. I didnt know there was such a thing as hearing who dont sign and deaf with issues about those who dont sign, I would love to sign, I just dont know how. I will try to learn how to sign, and lurk here without creating disturbances or controversy.
Ambrosia, you dont deserve an answer, at least not from me, so go ahead and keep lashing out, I can only imagine how unhappy you must be. heheheh

Thanks to those who posted with kindness. I didnt know there was such a thing as hearing who dont sign and deaf with issues about those who dont sign, I would love to sign, I just dont know how. I will try to learn how to sign, and lurk here without creating disturbances or controversy.
Ambrosia, you dont deserve an answer, at least not from me, so go ahead and keep lashing out, I can only imagine how unhappy you must be. heheheh

Thought you left?

Could resist a little passive aggressive manipulation?

Oh , I forgot to mention on the bolded, what a freak.

Thought you left?

Could resist a little passive aggressive manipulation?

I had a feeling she'd be back :D

I have always made over 50k, it is sad that you would not expect an immigrant and/or a HOH person to be able to make a living as a professional. It is ok, I know now the kind of people that answer in this forum.

Let's take one more look at what you said. You do realize that there are deaf and HOH professional members of this forum, you are insulting us. But worse is the sentence that follows it. You know the kind of people that answer in this forum. Again, you are insulting us, every single one of us, and you think we should be nice to you? pfffft

I will await your apology :angel:

I will await your apology :angel:

Don't hold your breath my dear:eek3:

oh my i guess that being a firefighter and in public service over 20 years doesn't make me a professional since i commented on this huh ??? hmmmmm alrighty then ...:roll:

Don't hold your breath my dear:eek3:

oh my i guess that being a firefighter and in public service over 20 years doesn't make me a professional since i commented on this huh ??? hmmmmm alrighty then ...:roll:
Oh I'm not lol ;)

pull-head-out-of-ass-for-dummies.jpg

Back