Phone with hearingt aids

stream2525

Reaction score
I just want to know how good is it to use phone with hearing aids.

I am not talking about using anything but the aids only. No accessories.

I can't talk on a phone. I use a Blackberry pager and do everything by text or instant messenger.

I can't talk on a phone. I use a Blackberry pager and do everything by text or instant messenger.

same. if somebody called me via voice - I simply press "IGNORE". For those who requires # for voice, I give them number for my Google Voice. I heard that the computer can transcribe the voice into text form and then email it to me. pretty cool, I suppose.

The phone is useless for me.

Thanks to VP, ASL, tmobile and everything, I dont need the phone. My hubby who is hearing doesnt even use it much anymore either so we dont have a house phone but had to keep a phone line for our alarm system.

same. if somebody called me via voice - I simply press "IGNORE". For those who requires # for voice, I give them number for my Google Voice. I heard that the computer can transcribe the voice into text form and then email it to me. pretty cool, I suppose.

I haven't heard about Google voice at all. :hmm: But I think I won't check into it as I am more accessible than I want to be sometimes. :lol:

phone is useless for me as well (even with cochlear implant) If you have T-coil option or have the "T" switch on your hearing aids, it will pick up pretty good if you are able to understand it

I am surprised

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Actullay , I have sever hearing loss particularly in high frequencies.

I can hear on phone better than in normal conversation. There are ladies who I don't understand what they say when they talk to me, but on phone I do understand better.

What I understood is that while hearing aids, you can't understand well on phone.

I am surprised how come I will not understand better on phone while wearing hearing aids when I hear on phone better that face to face conversation.

Anybody has explanation to this?

:roll::roll:

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Actullay , I have sever hearing loss particularly in high frequencies.

I can hear on phone better than in normal conversation. There are ladies who I don't understand what they say when they talk to me, but on phone I do understand better.

What I understood is that while hearing aids, you can't understand well on phone.

I am surprised how come I will not understand better on phone while wearing hearing aids when I hear on phone better that face to face conversation.

Anybody has explanation to this?

:roll::roll:

Everyone is different with their HAs.

I can hear on the phone but cant understand except for "Hello; yes; no; Ok; and simple words like that"

However, when I am having a face to face coversation on an one on one basis, I practically can understand speech pretty clear. It is only when I am in large groups, I no longer can understand it.

I am wondering, were you trained to understand speech with mouth covered?

On phone you get the words directly to your ears. There is no background noise.

It is like you ask someon to come closer so you understand better.

I am just surprised that hearing aids don't help with using phone. Maybe that is only with digital aids not analog.

:roll:

I am just surprised that hearing aids don't help with using phone. Maybe that is only with digital aids not analog.

Why are you rolling y our eyes?

I was just wondering because some people probably do better if they focused on their ears instead of lipreading. That lipreading probably throw them off the loop.

people who come closer to my ears instead of facing me is worst for me.

I had both digital/analog/and CI and none of them help me with phone skills.

Thanks to VP, ASL, tmobile and everything, I dont need the phone. My hubby who is hearing doesnt even use it much anymore
Yes......the phone is pretty much dying. You can get along without the phone at ALL!

I can talk on the phone and have a conversation with relative ease providing I am used to knowing what that person's voice is like. I have shared on other posts that in the last decade or so, I've gotten more lax about using the phone because text messaging, emails, etc. have become more accessible (I do see that someone mentioned on this thread that even hearing people don't use the phone as much). I currently wear a Phonak analog and have recently gotten the Phonak Naida V UP which I'm experimenting. Both work great on the phone (without the accessory). If there's background noise, I do have difficulty understanding the person on the other end.

I'd like to add that I did receive auditory training as a youngster (for years!) and it probably has a lot to do with why I'm able to use the phone.

Hope my answer helps . . .

Years ago I got my aids. It took me forever to get the hang of putting the phone by my ha microphone rather than the regular way.

If your aids are not automatic press the tcoil switch (should you have one) and hold the phone earpiece at the level of the mic. You may have to move the phone around a bit to find the best position. If you have a phone with a volume level you can also adjust it.

Oh, and make sure the friend who calls understands what is going on. Else you may have a very frustrated friend.:laugh2:

Or you could just use relay services, a pager or emails. My personal favorite is relay and pager. My cell/pager has relay and email on it, so easy.

Good luck!

Years ago I got my aids. It took me forever to get the hang of putting the phone by my ha microphone rather than the regular way.

If your aids are not automatic press the tcoil switch (should you have one) and hold the phone earpiece at the level of the mic. You may have to move the phone around a bit to find the best position. If you have a phone with a volume level you can also adjust it.

Oh, and make sure the friend who calls understands what is going on. Else you may have a very frustrated friend.:laugh2:

Or you could just use relay services, a pager or emails. My personal favorite is relay and pager. My cell/pager has relay and email on it, so easy.

Good luck!

If it is for friends, then there is no problem. I use phone a lot on work.

I can talk on the phone and have a conversation with relative ease providing I am used to knowing what that person's voice is like. I have shared on other posts that in the last decade or so, I've gotten more lax about using the phone because text messaging, emails, etc. have become more accessible (I do see that someone mentioned on this thread that even hearing people don't use the phone as much). I currently wear a Phonak analog and have recently gotten the Phonak Naida V UP which I'm experimenting. Both work great on the phone (without the accessory). If there's background noise, I do have difficulty understanding the person on the other end.

I'd like to add that I did receive auditory training as a youngster (for years!) and it probably has a lot to do with why I'm able to use the phone.

Hope my answer helps . . .

This gives a little hope.
:wave:

Back