Phonak Naida

Ok guys, I've been trying to make it through this thread, and frankly, it scares me. Miss Kat is scheduled to get a Naida but she is not a good reporter of things that sound "weird". Should I not trust this aid on my kid??? Is it too unreliable???

They are no worse than any other hearing aid out on the market. The best bet is to take advantage of the 30 day trialing, and if the aids are not set to satisfaction before the 30 day trial, make that return before the trial is up!! (I think the amount of trial time depends on the state, you will have to check that out)

They are no worse than any other hearing aid out on the market. The best bet is to take advantage of the 30 day trialing, and if the aids are not set to satisfaction before the 30 day trial, make that return before the trial is up!! (I think the amount of trial time depends on the state, you will have to check that out)

She said that Miss Kat is not likely to report any "problem with function"; she is young. It will be difficult to track down appropriate satisfaction for her.

I have some questions about the naida.

Has anyone switched from the SUMO DM to the Naida,Which did you like better?

Can any of you techies out there tell me What is the difference between the SUMO DM and the Naida ?

Has anyone tried the Naida contralateral to an implant?

I have some questions about the naida.

Has anyone switched from the SUMO DM to the Naida,Which did you like better?

Can any of you techies out there tell me What is the difference between the SUMO DM and the Naida ?

Has anyone tried the Naida contralateral to an implant?

I want to know all those things too.

The Naida can do transposition, where the Sumo is just the most powerful aid on the market.

I want to know all those things too.

The Naida can do transposition, where the Sumo is just the most powerful aid on the market.

About your worries with Miss Kat, do her teachers or audi at school test their hearing? As you could get them to check Miss Kat's hearing aid everyday or you could get a HA tester if you're worried.

About your worries with Miss Kat, do her teachers or audi at school test their hearing? As you could get them to check Miss Kat's hearing aid everyday or you could get a HA tester if you're worried.

They test every morning, but that won't help if it is totally unreliable.

What do you mean? If they test it every morning, they should detect if there is any problems with it

If it is working at the moment they check it, but then stops and starts again, it could take a long time to figure the problem out. If it doesn't work at all is one thing, if it works intermittenly, that is much worse!

Ok guys, I've been trying to make it through this thread, and frankly, it scares me. Miss Kat is scheduled to get a Naida but she is not a good reporter of things that sound "weird". Should I not trust this aid on my kid??? Is it too unreliable???

That's why you get a 30 day trial. This will give your "expert" audiologist plenty of chances to program and reprogram her HA correctly so she may possibly score high on speech. She will need all the amplification she can get as well as transposition. She could be hearing more environmental sounds and music than CI due to the power of amplification getting her to 10db in several frequencies. This should have been tried before CI because if she's getting good benefit from the same HA that gives me some speech, she may have not even needed CI.

A deaf dude's life: Try every HA before CI! This guy now scores 80% speech with HA!

Why get CI when the right HAs programmed correctly can get you from 20% to 80% speech? He has the same HAs I have. If I had a little more residual hearing, id be scoring 80% speech too! Could Miss Kat go from 20% speech to as high as 80% and come close or even match her CI? This remains to be seen. What are your expectations on how much improvement she will get with her new HA? Do you and her audiologist think there's any chance she will score high? Why or why not? Can anyone ever know till it's actually tried?

Deaf dude, shut up, miss kat already has a CI, stop going on and dwelling on it!

Deaf dude, shut up, miss kat already has a CI, stop going on and dwelling on it!

I don't understand your rudeness. She has one CI but in her HA ear, she could hear much better. She isn't getting a HA in the CI ear but in her nonimplanted ear.

This should have been tried before CI because if she's getting good benefit from the same HA that gives me some speech, she may have not even needed CI.

I was referring to this

This should have been tried before CI because if she's getting good benefit from the same HA that gives me some speech, she may have not even needed CI. I was referring to this

Why do you disagree that the best HAs should be tried before CI, especially if you have alot of residual hearing? I know it's too late in her CI ear but in her HA ear, it's not too late to try the best HAs. She may be a great bimodel success case like you are. You know im a big fan of HAs because they are 5% the cost of CI, 100% safe and reversable. There could be a HA out there(or being designed) that will give me excellent hearing, this has not been ruled out. I get fair hearing with my current HAs right now. I really do wish I had more residual hearing(I will in a few years) but I make do with what I have now. I wish the best for Miss Kat and her success with the same HA that's given me partial success.

Phonak Naida V UP question

I get fair hearing with my current HAs right now. I really do wish I had more residual hearing(I will in a few years) but I make do with what I have now. I wish the best for Miss Kat and her success with the same HA that's given me partial success.[/QUOTE]

Deafdude, how much hearing (speech discrimination score) do you get out of the Phonak Naida V UP? When you first got the aid(s), did it take you long to adjust to it?

By the way, can't remember if I mentioned my hearing loss before but it's 90 dB @ 250 Hz, 100 dB @500 Hz, 90 dB @ 1k Hz, 85 dB @2k and then it goes up to 75 dB @8K. I have no hearing on my left ear at all.

Is this your current audiogram? You mention you have a dead ear, does any HA work at all in your dead ear? You may have cochlear dead zones, see my thread on that topic. What's your speech score and if you don't know, how much speech do you understand without lipreading? I score 80% with lipreading(applies for anyone that speaks clearly), 50% without(only applies when my dad talks) It took me 2 months to adjust to my new HAs.

Do you plan to get a CI in your dead ear, wait for stem cells or do nothing and stick with wearing one HA? You know what my plan is by now. My plan will give me more residual hearing so I can hear better with my HAs. Ill of course try different HAs as well. Ill have alot more options when I have more residual hearing to work with.

That's why you get a 30 day trial. This will give your "expert" audiologist plenty of chances to program and reprogram her HA correctly so she may possibly score high on speech. She will need all the amplification she can get as well as transposition. She could be hearing more environmental sounds and music than CI due to the power of amplification getting her to 10db in several frequencies. This should have been tried before CI because if she's getting good benefit from the same HA that gives me some speech, she may have not even needed CI.

A deaf dude's life: Try every HA before CI! This guy now scores 80% speech with HA!

Why get CI when the right HAs programmed correctly can get you from 20% to 80% speech? He has the same HAs I have. If I had a little more residual hearing, id be scoring 80% speech too! Could Miss Kat go from 20% speech to as high as 80% and come close or even match her CI? This remains to be seen. What are your expectations on how much improvement she will get with her new HA? Do you and her audiologist think there's any chance she will score high? Why or why not? Can anyone ever know till it's actually tried?

1. Our audi is 2 hours away from home, so we can't go in everyday to get it adjusted.
2. I don't want her aided to 10 db in some frequencies. She needs to be aided in the triangle, I have explained that to you again and again.
3. I don't think she will score that high with her hearing aid. I don't think it is possible for her. The aid is simply to add localization and keep her ear working while we wait to get another CI.

1. Our audi is 2 hours away from home, so we can't go in everyday to get it adjusted.
2. I don't want her aided to 10 db in some frequencies. She needs to be aided in the triangle, I have explained that to you again and again.
3. I don't think she will score that high with her hearing aid. I don't think it is possible for her. The aid is simply to add localization and keep her ear working while we wait to get another CI.

1. Don't you have a closer audiologist? If not, maybe you can make an extended appointment and stay for half the day so she can adjust it a dozen times till it's right to the best of her ability.

2. With transposition, it's possible she could be aided to 10db or at least 20db at every frequency, including inside the triangle. Today's HAs have less gain at higher frequencies than lower. I read somewhere that a study showed transposition can actually be better than a loss of as low as 70db at high frequencies! That's cause you are transporting to a lower frequency where the HA can give more gain!

3. Does any of her audiologists or experts think she will score high with her new HAs? Have they ever been surprisingly wrong? My own audiologist didn't think I would score any on speech, that id be at a fat 0% but he was surprised when I understood half of what my dad said without reading lips. What % of your speech can Miss Kat understand in her HA ear without reading lips?

So you say it's not possible? We shall find out once she tries the new HA. I will say that I wish Miss Kat the best of luck in a successful fit with her new HA, maybe she won't want/need a 2nd CI as bimodel will be a success and get her speech to where you want it to be. I am curious, do you and the audiologists know of anyone with as much residual hearing as Miss Kat doing so poorly with HAs? Why do they not even know why Miss Kat isn't scoring much on speech with HA? Why am I scoring better than Miss Kat despite my hearing being about 20db worse? Could it be because I have more gain on my HAs than she does? If not, what could it be? All those are things id love to learn.

Is this your current audiogram? You mention you have a dead ear, does any HA work at all in your dead ear? You may have cochlear dead zones, see my thread on that topic. What's your speech score and if you don't know, how much speech do you understand without lipreading? I score 80% with lipreading(applies for anyone that speaks clearly), 50% without(only applies when my dad talks) It took me 2 months to adjust to my new HAs.

Do you plan to get a CI in your dead ear, wait for stem cells or do nothing and stick with wearing one HA? You know what my plan is by now. My plan will give me more residual hearing so I can hear better with my HAs. Ill of course try different HAs as well. Ill have alot more options when I have more residual hearing to work with.

Deafdude--
Yes, that's my current audiogram. No hearing aid works on my 'dead ear' which is my left ear. My speech discrimination score is currently 44% w/ 100
db threshold (however, I must say looking at my old audiogram that it used to be 77% at 90 db threshold about 15 years ago. I can explain this: the prevalent use of text messaging and e mails has left me with a more lax attitude of using the telephone. I NEED to get my brain wired back w/ listening skills to bring back up my speech discrimination scores). Speechreading scores? How do you get that? I've never gotten a speech reading score. I'd have to say my speech reading capabilities are good but I have no idea of how I'd score.
I no have intentions of getting a CI on my left ear. My reason is this: my brain would not be able to discriminate speech sounds. I believe I'd only benefit from getting environmental sounds which, to me, isn't that big of a deal. I'd rather be able to hear, recognize and understand speech skills. So, for now-- I will stick to hearing aids for the one ear I can hear on.
Two MONTHS to adjust to your new hearing aids? That seems like eternity! I'm going to the audiologist today to pick up the Phonak Naida after it has been repaired, if you can believe it. I also have the I-com coming with it as well.
I know your take on stem cells and it's definitely an intriguing idea to me.
Truthfully, I'm not quite sure it will be out in five years or less like you've said in some of your posts. However, if it does come out in five years (give or take), I may consider it (in that case- I wouldn't even do the CI as I'd lose residual hearing). On the other hand, once I retire from work (which is about
12 years give or take), then I don't think I'd have the motivation or the desire to get either a cochlear implant or stem cells.
There you have it! I definitely have enjoyed reading your posts. :)

Back