Parents of children who are implanted --

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the downside of small Deaf schools. I'll have to give you that.

There are awesome schools out there for the Deaf as well. My family almost moved to the east coast so they could put me in a deaf school there. They also looked into Fremont.

I totally agree. I think they are often a great choice, but they also have downsides.

Good question. Other parents of deaf children who have come in here did the same. Sad.

Then again, there were parents like Jillio who were strong advocates for Deaf schools. I think there were a few of them.

What have I said that was untrue?

I'm simply pointing out that if you have 6 students and:
1 needs calc.
3 need pre-algebra
2 need remedial math

how do you meet all their needs in one classroom?

The answer to that is: Parent involvement. (Which I don't doubt you have)

The Calculus class I had was 1 on 1. It was outlined in the IEP.

I'm simply pointing out that if you have 6 students and:
1 needs calc.
3 need pre-algebra
2 need remedial math

how do you meet all their needs in one classroom?

But you do know what happen to kids in the mainstreams? They become pity cases for teachers. I remember I never handed in homework, yet somehow I got As and Bs for "effort." It wasn't until I coordinated with at least 10 other people my own age that were mainstreamed... that I realized we're not the same as hearies... Hell, it wasn't until I got into post-secondary that I finally got the grades I deserved.

I would chalk it up to "personal experience," but after talking to several others who experienced the thing... I am starting to think it's more widespread. At least in the Deaf schools, they're not going to be flying under the radar to fake the results that the IEP staff want to see.

The answer to that is: Parent involvement. (Which I don't doubt you have)

The Calculus class I had was 1 on 1. It was outlined in the IEP.

I think that offering (not requiring) a partial mainstreaming could help make sure a student is given the opportunity for a diverse class load and a chance for the most appropriate learning enviroment.

But you do know what happen to kids in the mainstreams? They become pity cases for teachers. I remember I never handed in homework, yet somehow I got As and Bs for "effort." It wasn't until I coordinated with at least 10 other people my own age that were mainstreamed... that I realized we're not the same as hearies... Hell, it wasn't until I got into post-secondary that I finally got the grades I deserved.

I would chalk it up to "personal experience," but after talking to several others who experienced the thing... I am starting to think it's more widespread.

That's pretty much it. They don't put me a higher level nor lower when it came to math and other subjects. I'm the same level as my average classmates.

But certain teachers do teach advanced subjects. So while he teach regular science, he also teach advanced math. So anyone who are advanced go to his class at certain time. That's his job, to focus mostly on history and advanced math. While the other teacher's job is focus on history, and regular math. Or whatever they choose to teach.

Ours does not offer extracurricular activites, clubs or sports. That is one downside. They also can not provide the diversity of classes that a typical high school can.

I know. We could never get the chance to play the school in your state in any sports, activities, or any academic competitions. We played Arizona, New Mexico, Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, and many more.

******************EDIT**********************

MSSD, Texas, Florida, Fremont, and many other schools offers all the activities a typical high school does. In many cases, more than a typical high school.

Colorado School (CSDB) sent their kids out to ski trips a few times every year to give an instance. We fly to other schools to play/meet them. (on the state's dime, not parents)

Speaking of which. I am going to add Washington State, California, Oregon schools for the deaf to the list.

I would chalk it up to "personal experience," but after talking to several others who experienced the thing... I am starting to think it's more widespread. At least in the Deaf schools, they're not going to be flying under the radar to fake the results that the IEP staff want to see.

I remember when I was a 5th grade, I had this teacher who kept telling me that I was so special in front of the class. She treated me like I was a baby.."oooh pooor you." "Ohhhh you are so special" and blah blah..If I had self-esteem, I would have asked her why was I so special and why embarrass me constantly like that in front of the entire class?

oh, btw, it is more widespread than you think. Although, one time, I used to never hand in my English homework because the teacher mumbled alot. I think she did it on purpose so I can be kicked out of English class and go to special ED class.

All I am saying is that Deaf schools are not appropriate for ALL deaf students. Nothing is right for everyone.

Ours does not offer extracurricular activites, clubs or sports. That is one downside. They also can not provide the diversity of classes that a typical high school can.

many private schools are like that, rather they deaf or hearing. It never hurt them.

All I am saying is that Deaf schools are not appropriate for ALL deaf students. Nothing is right for everyone.

It seems like a majority of deaf people grow up wishing they had ASL, exposure to Deaf culture and gone to Deaf schools. Like someone said, it is more widespread and I agree with that person.

I think that offering (not requiring) a partial mainstreaming could help make sure a student is given the opportunity for a diverse class load and a chance for the most appropriate learning enviroment.

At the deaf school, or where?

I remember when I was a 5th grade, I had this teacher who kept telling me that I was so special in front of the class. She treated me like I was a baby.."oooh pooor you." "Ohhhh you are so special" and blah blah..If I had self-esteem, I would have asked her why was I so special and why embarrass me constantly like that in front of the entire class?

I thought I was was the only one who hated that word "Special" I had countless of teachers said that to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back