Parents of children who are implanted --

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and yes, I would allow my implanted child to attend a Deaf school. IF it was appropriate. The CI would have only a small impact on the decision,

So, if a 9th grader is amazing in math and tests at a calculus level, how will the Deaf school provide that? It is impossible.

The same thing happens in a classroom with advanced and delayed kids everyday, just on a smaller scale.

Teaching the public school curriculm...impossible? Whatever the public school curriculm has, the deaf schools that adopt the curriculm will have it.

Wrong, my deaf school PAID and sent me off to college full time for the last two years.

I also took Chemistry and Physics in middle school. (At the Deaf school)

Right and there are magnet programs also. One of my friends who was reading at 4 grades above level went to the public school that was the only public school in the area that offered the AP Latin English classes. There were only 5 kids in that class from different schools and my deaf friend who went to the Deaf school in AZ was one of them. That's part of the magnet program.

Wrong, my deaf school PAID and sent me off to college full time for the last two years.

I also took Chemistry and Physics in middle school. (At the Deaf school)

Then you took the class at the college, not the Deaf school.

I see ADers like postfromhell and others who went to Deaf schools whose English is far superior than mine. Sometimes, I wonder if my English would be a lot better if I had ASL as a first language to develop concepts and then transfer it to learning English instead of struggling to understand spoken English 60 to 90% of the time, missing out on a lot of concepts as a child? I really do wonder.

Oh, and yes, I would allow my implanted child to attend a Deaf school. IF it was appropriate. The CI would have only a small impact on the decision,

Cool -- Another question for you - would you consider cultural development of your kid?

I have a quite few implanted friends that didn't attend deaf schools that wish they did. I also 100% understand that the parents always want the best for their children.

We all know that "networking is the key in life." This is very true with the Deaf world. Once you're a part of it, you know everyone from all over the nation, you know more of opportunities for yourself, and many other benefits.

I also observe that children that goes to deaf schools are more likely to be comfortable in the "real world" while the students who are mainstreamed are likely to be tense around hearing people *AND* deaf people because they're "lost" in the middle of both worlds.

It's only when my CI friends find that they identify their selves as a Deaf person they're much more happier.

That is why I'm bringing this question up.

Right and there are magnet programs also. One of my friends who was reading at 4 grades above level went to the public school that was the only public school in the area that offered the AP Latin English classes. There were only 5 kids in that class from different schools and my deaf friend who went to the Deaf school in AZ was one of them. That's part of the magnet program.

Again, this was a class at a public school NOT the Deaf school.

Then you took the class at the college, not the Deaf school.

I applaud the Deaf school for giving someone like him the opportunity instead of holding him back.

Cool -- Another question for you - would you consider cultural development of your kid?

I have a quite few implanted friends that didn't attend deaf schools that wish they did. I also 100% understand that the parents always want the best for their children.

We all know that "networking is the key in life." This is very true with the Deaf world. Once you're a part of it, you know everyone from all over the nation, you know more of opportunities for yourself, and many other benefits.

I also observe that children that goes to deaf schools are more likely to be comfortable in the "real world" while the students who are mainstreamed are likely to be tense around hearing people *AND* deaf people because they're "lost" in the middle of both worlds.

It's only when my CI friends find that they identify their selves as a Deaf person they're much more happier.

I am not the "average" parent of a child with a CI.

My child already identifies herself as Deaf. We are very active in the Deaf community, and she uses ASL. I think she is the model of "bi-cultural". She is equally comfortable with Deaf or hearing people.

I am not the "average" parent of a child with a CI.

My child already identifies herself as Deaf. We are very active in the Deaf community, and she uses ASL. I think she is the model of "bi-cultural". She is equally comfortable with Deaf or hearing people.

If you're not the "average" parent, then why the barrage and downplaying of Deaf schools?

I took Calculus II in high school at the Deaf school.

I can't speak to every Deaf school, but the one in my area has an average class size of 3-6. How can they possibly provide the same opportunities for AP classes, Psychology, creative writing courses, child development, dance classes, physiology classes? How can they provide all the different levels with only 6 students?

I can't speak to every Deaf school, but the one in my area has an average class size of 3-6. How can they possibly provide the same opportunities for AP classes, Psychology, creative writing courses, child development, dance classes, physiology classes? How can they provide all the different levels with only 6 students?

That is the downside of small Deaf schools. I'll have to give you that.

There are awesome schools out there for the Deaf as well. My family almost moved to the east coast so they could put me in a deaf school there. They also looked into Fremont.

This describes me...was tense around both hearing and deaf people because I had no self-esteem growing up mainstreamed and trying to be "hearing" only to fail.

Once I embraced my "Deaf" identity, my life improved and I dont hate myself with a passion anymore. My parents noticed how much happier I am.

However, I feel strongly about when the negative stereotyping of Deaf schools continue by ignorant people. I used to be one of those ignorant people and put down Deaf schools because I was uneducated about them.

If you're not the "average" parent, then why the barrage and downplaying of Deaf schools?

I'm simply pointing out that if you have 6 students and:
1 needs calc.
3 need pre-algebra
2 need remedial math

how do you meet all their needs in one classroom?

Good question. Other parents of deaf children who have come in here did the same. Sad.

Then again, there were parents like Jillio who were strong advocates for Deaf schools. I think there were a few of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back