Paleo Diet - Have you tried this?

Outside magazine has an article called The Truth about Paleo. I got halfway through it during my cardio routine. I didn't realize the whole movement really took off after some crossfit people starting teaching it. It seems they graphed originators theory into a training method first. From there, it started to get pushed as a lifestyle. The rugged angle that the lifestyle presents works well with it's target audience of cross fitters. It's appealing to be the brute with the spear.

Personally, I don't go for either-or type lifestyles which give up something(meat, dairy, etc) as a sales pitch to differentiate it. IMO, a low fat balanced diets works best.

Having said that, I have an issue with the non-dairy part of Paleo. My question is: If Paleolithic mothers breast fed their babies, why would dairy not be on the list of things to consume?

I use Fat Free half and half as well as 1 and 2% milk without detrimental weight gain.
Because it's cow or goat milk, not people milk, it's meant for cow and goat babies and doesn't really have the right nutrition for a human. If they sold and made cheese and what not out of human breast milk that'd be one thing. But another thing, even human breast milk is meant for growing developing babies, not adults. Cheese and all the other dairy products are not exactly what nature intended, we have to put it through all kinds of processes to even make it. I'm okay with the nondairy part of it, I'm lactose intolerant and can't eat it anyway. Yogurt doesn't seem to bother me too much though. Speaking of stuff we eat that is not people food, corn. It's not people food, we can't even digest it, it comes out basically looking the same way it went in. Our digestive system cannot breakdown the cellulose in corn, got to wonder how much nutrition you're really getting from.

All that I aside, I really really love dairy lol, even if it doesn't love me :giggle:

Last edited:
Outside magazine has an article called The Truth about Paleo. I got halfway through it during my cardio routine. I didn't realize the whole movement really took off after some crossfit people starting teaching it. It seems they graphed originators theory into a training method first. From there, it started to get pushed as a lifestyle. The rugged angle that the lifestyle presents works well with it's target audience of cross fitters. It's appealing to be the brute with the spear.

Personally, I don't go for either-or type lifestyles which give up something(meat, dairy, etc) as a sales pitch to differentiate it. IMO, a low fat balanced diets works best.

Having said that, I have an issue with the non-dairy part of Paleo. My question is: If Paleolithic mothers breast fed their babies, why would dairy not be on the list of things to consume?

I use Fat Free half and half as well as 1 and 2% milk without detrimental weight gain.

humans are the only animal in the world that drinks another animal's secretions. that really blew my mind away so I stopped drinking animal milk.

now I go back to what I was drinking when I was little - soybean milk.

that's what it meant - a non-dairy milk. drink vegetable-based milk. it's better.

Because it's cow or goat milk, not people milk, it's meant for cows and doesn't really have the right nutrition for a human. If they sold and made cheese and what not out of human breast milk that\d be one thing. But another thing, even human breast milk is meant for growing developing babies, not adults. Cheese and all the other dairy products are not exactly what nature intended, we have to put it through all kinds of processes to even make it. I'm okay with the nondairy part of it, I'm lactose intolerant and can't eat it anyway. Yogurt doesn't seem to bother me too much though. Speaking of stuff we eat that is not people food, corn. It's not people food, we can't even digest it, it comes out basically looking the same way it went in. Our digestive system cannot breakdown the cellulose in corn, got to wonder how much nutrition you're really getting from.

All that I aside, I really really love dairy lol, even if it doesn't love me :giggle:

all thanks to GMO.

The title says it all.

I just started on the Paleo Diet. So far, I like it. It's too early to tell the changes though.

had to google this to see what food are they. pretty much what I eat for years.

I'm mostly 80 veg/20 meat.

had to google this to see what food are they. pretty much what I eat for years.

I'm mostly 80 veg/20 meat.

What about rice? Pretty sure that's another Paleo no no.

I am by no means Paleo but I do try to eat clean as much as possible, that is no processed foods. I limit my bread consumption. Like if I make my kids burgers, my son hamburger patties and my daughter and I prefer turkey burgers, I usually cut up my patty and put it in my salad. But I do have cheese on occasion I just have to take lactase pills, but I have yogurt alomst everyday.

Like right now I'm eating my dinner. A huge salad, with an entire avocado sliced up in it, but with it? I made chicken bundles. Crescent rolls filled with shredded chicken, cream cheese garlic and onion. yum!!! But a little but of an indulgence for me.

OK, I see both points, but I don't think that is the end of the argument.

Goats, cows and human take in nutrients that make milk. Yes, I'll agree the type of milk has different amounts of protein count, etc, but not it's that different.

If you eat a goat, why would the milk be more unhealthy?

We humans can survive on many things including insects(while not that appealing).

Bottom line, it's processed food that is the issue. If you eat natural things, you're going to have a natural body.

Ridiculous, I've been eating brown rice for years. And, I just bought Sokuyaka at H-Mart.

I'm gonna have to post a freakin picture at some point.

Edited: To retract raving comment.

Goats, cows and human take in nutrients that make milk. Yes, I'll agree the type of milk has different amounts of protein count, etc, but not it's that different.

We humans can survive on many things including insects(while not that appealing).

Bottom line, it's processed food that is the issue. If you eat natural things, you're going to have a natural body.

I'm not saying paleo is the way to go, or you shouldn't eat dairy, I was just answering the question of why they think you shouldn't. Same with the rice, I'm not saying you should or shouldn't, this is just a thread about paleo, not healthy eating in general. Brown rice though is good for you. I have read articles about people using rice to lose weight, and whether or not that is good for you. But the atricles did mention that if you're going to eat rice you should opt for the brown. Meh, I don't eat a grain side very often, I try to stick to mostly meat and vegetables, I eats some fruit but not much, mostly meat and veggies. BUT I do like rice sometimes, just plain old parboiled rice cooked with beef or chicken flavor boullions. Not paleo, oh no. Paleo sounds a little too strict and a pain in the butt for me.

I'm not saying paleo is the way to go, or you shouldn't eat dairy, I was just answering the question of why they think you shouldn't.

It's not directed at you, it's directed at paleo..

I'll have to re-edit once I can write it so that it is understandable. *shakes-head*

Ridiculous, I've been eating brown rice for years. And, I just bought Sokuyaka at H-Mart.

Man I hope you do and cover up my picture post. I thought it would just fade off into obscurity instead it is hanging up there like an ugly cloud.
Good food is important but exercise with good food is the best. There are lots of variations on the theme of good eating but without some physical activity it is all not as good as it could be.
I went lactose intolerant for some reason just last year. That was a strange thing to just have happen like that. I can have yogurt and cheese but milk tears me up now. The central sleep apnea has caused a lot of negative physical things. It is caused by something just have not got it figured out yet.It does not show up in tests. I am going to increase my iodine intake a notch next.

Man I hope you do and cover up my picture post. I thought it would just fade off into obscurity instead hanging up there like an ugly cloud.
Good food is important but exercise with good food is the best. There are lots of variations on the theme of good eating but without some physical activity it is all not as good as it could be.
I went lactose intolerant for some reason just last year. That was a strange thing to just have happen like that. I can have yogurt and cheese but milk tears me up now.

You're not alone, many pictures have been, "immortalized" for all time on the internet, sadly.

Privacy is not an option..

It's not directed at you, it's directed at paleo..

I'll have to re-edit once I can write it so that it is understandable. *shakes-head*

Gotcha, I can't eat it because it makes me bloat and gives me noxious gas :giggle:

Most dairy though is really fattening, I love cheese, love love love cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, yogurt, did I say cheese?? ICE CREAM!!! I don't like milk anymore, not since I became lactose intolerant. It's just blah. First I started drinking soy milk, now I drink almond. When you take the fat out dairy products it just gets gross, I don't like it. So even if I wasn't lactose intolerant I would choose almond milk over skim milk any day, hands down. I don't even like non fat yogurt, blech. I'd rather eat it with the fat in it or not at all. I hate fake sugar too, blech, just nasty, and probably not good for you at all, it's all chemicals.

but just in case you were curious almond milk, even the original sweetened kind, has less carbs and calories than skim milk. It has waaaay more nutrients in it too, including calcium! the only nurtrient that almond milk has less than skim milk is protein. But you can get protein easily elsewhere, heck I use my almond milk to make my protein shakes so way no big deal for me.

Man I hope you do and cover up my picture post. I thought it would just fade off into obscurity instead it is hanging up there like an ugly cloud.
I went lactose intolerant for some reason just last year. That was a strange thing to just have happen like that. I can have yogurt and cheese but milk tears me up now. The central sleep apnea has caused a lot of negative physical things. It is caused by something just have not got it figured out yet.It does not show up in tests. I am going to increase my iodine intake a notch next.

That is the truth, you can't just eat your way to a healthy body and you can't exercise your way past a bad diet. Just gotta be sensible and balance things.

Gotcha, I can't eat it because it makes me bloat and gives me noxious gas :giggle:

Most dairy though is really fattening, I love cheese, love love love cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, yogurt, did I say cheese?? ICE CREAM!!! I don't like milk anymore, not since I became lactose intolerant. It's just blah. First I started drinking soy milk, now I drink almond. When you take the fat out dairy products it just gets gross, I don't like it. So even if I wasn't lactose intolerant I would choose almond milk over skim milk any day, hands down. I don't even like non fat yogurt, blech. I'd rather eat it with the fat in it or not at all. I hate fake sugar too, blech, just nasty, and probably not good for you at all, it's all chemicals.

but just in case you were curious almond milk, even the original sweetened kind, has less carbs and calories than skim milk. It has waaaay more nutrients in it too, including calcium! the only nurtrient that almond milk has less than skim milk is protein. But you can get protein easily elsewhere, heck I use my almond milk to make my protein shakes so way no big deal for me.

To be fair, I don't think plain yogurt taste good, same goes for cottage cheese. However, Fage plain Greek Yogurt does mix well. I've made Lipton Onion Dip with it and it is pretty good.

But, Fat Free Half and Half is good in coffee. And, 2% in special K cerial is pretty good. And 1% will work well with mashed potatoes.

I've tried Almond and Soy.. Depends on what I'm cooking.

To be fair, I don't think plain yogurt taste good, same goes for cottage cheese. However, Fage plain Greek Yogurt does mix well. I've made Lipton Onion Dip with it and it is pretty good.

But, Fat Free Half and Half is good in coffee. And, 2% in special K cerial is pretty good. And 1% will work well with mashed potatoes.

I've tried Almond and Soy.. Depends on what I'm cooking.

Half and half would tear me up, so I have no idea how good/bad the fat free is, I use nondairy creamer now :D Non fat greek yogurt does mix well, I've been using it in smoothies if I'm not going to put any protein powder in it, greek yogurt is loaded with protein. When I drank milk, I used 2%, and that's what I get the rest of the family so I still cook with it. Skim milk though ugh, it's just water pretending to be milk haha. Vanilla flavored almond milk is awesome on cereal!! But regular yogurt I'd choose low fat over non fat, even if it's fruity. I don't know why such a little bit of fat makes such a big difference but it does. Okay now I have to go get my treat, my frozen yogurt, out of the freezer, I wasn't going to eat any tonight since my dinner was pretty bad tonight and I didn't go to the gym today.

I took a pic by the pool yesterday btw ;)

I was strictly paleo for a month. I decided to go primal for a while until my gut was healed. Paleo is not really about low carbs. It is all about whole foods.

Now, I am living my mother's Baltic Sea diet, because she is originally from Baltic Sea area, and my body seems to be more comfortable with it. I avoid commercial breads, grain-fed meats/eggs, tomatoes, processed food and low-fat and non-fat food. I make lots of grass-fed beef/chicken stocks to consume gelatin and magnesium. I also consume probiotics daily (thanks to fermented sauerkraut), because I had to take lots of heavy antibiotics all the time.

If you take high vitamin D3 supplement or liquid, you may want to take magnesium supplement,too.

I am by no means Paleo but I do try to eat clean as much as possible, that is no processed foods. I limit my bread consumption. Like if I make my kids burgers, my son hamburger patties and my daughter and I prefer turkey burgers, I usually cut up my patty and put it in my salad. But I do have cheese on occasion I just have to take lactase pills, but I have yogurt alomst everyday.

Like right now I'm eating my dinner. A huge salad, with an entire avocado sliced up in it, but with it? I made chicken bundles. Crescent rolls filled with shredded chicken, cream cheese garlic and onion. yum!!! But a little but of an indulgence for me.

rice's fine - depending on where it's made from. of course I eat only Korean/Asian rice :lol:

just FYI - brown rice and white rice. some people cannot digest or process brown rice well so they'll have to eat white rice.

brown rice is basically white rice w/ nearly no peeling. brown rice is healthier because it contains more nutrients however your body has to work hard to process it which is why some people get upset stomach or you may poop some undigested rice.

the white rice I eat is half-peeled. I buy rice from h-mart too - tamaki haiga

just because you eat cow meat doesn't mean milk is the same thing. milk and meat are not the same. it's unnatural to drink another animal's secretion.

you don't see chimps or any other species doing that, right?

yes true. we can eat a cow and drink a cow milk. we can kill a deer, drink its blood and eat its heart but the keyword is survival. we're not in survival mode.

same thing with eating shrimps aka bottom feeder or dolphins. the higher food chain you go up, the more toxins it contains. everything comes with cost.

moderation is the key.

Back