Oralism and learning ASL

BTuckerwrites

Reaction score
A little about me: I'm 47 years old, and am currently about 90% deaf in one ear, 95% in the other, up from about 70% loss in both ears when I was a child. Since I had enough residual hearing as a child, I was put on the "oralist" track, with a specialized education track in elementary school and mainstreamed into regular classes in the higher grades. I did go to deaf school for one summer when I was 5, and I learned some ASL then, and my mother learned it as well. That was great (I mean, who doesn't like using ASL, huh?), but since I was destined to be an "oralist", that had to stop - no more ASL for me. :(

Fast forward a few decades into the future, my hearing has deteriorated to the point where I'm having difficulty communicating with people on a day-to-day basis. This is the main reason I don't work at a traditional job any longer, and I've become increasingly isolated in the past 10 years or so. While I do have a good social life online (thank god for text and chat), and I can do okay one-to-one with the help of speech reading, I know I going to have even more difficulty in the future, with or without CI (I haven't been sold on getting one yet, due to the difficulties of other people in my situation who's gotten them.)

So naturally, I want to learn ASL - but I'm at a bit of a loss how to go about getting started into the "voice off" community. (That sounds so nice, not having to rely on the spoken voice. :D ) I know I can take classes and such, but where to find people just to hang out with and practice, and to have fun while doing it? I've been isolated from the ASL community, so I don't know if I can "fit in" at this late stage, being an outsider due to my "oralist" status for virtually all of my life.

Another dilemma I have is my parents, my mother in particular, would be devastated if she knew I wanted to learn and use ASL for my later years. She thinks I'd be going the wrong way, and thinks that technology will solve whatever problems I face (yeah, right.) The last time I mentioned it to her, in a non-serious way, she actually got mad and said, "you don't need to have that kind of attitude" - i.e. that of a loser. Bummer. :(

Can any of you around here relate to the situation I'm in? It's not that I don't have anything against the oral community, but it's just too difficult sometimes, having to ask people to repeat themselves and so on and so forth - it'd be so nice to be in a community of ASL users and not have to rely on voice for communication.

Any suggestions, ideas, remarks are highly welcomed. :)

Hopefully Steinhauer will show up to help you, as I believe he is in Atlanta too.

:welcome:

Are you familiar with Georgia Perimeter College? They offer ASL classes, and they have a sign language interpreter program. The ASL classes should be available to you. They have a Disabilities Office you can check with for services. Also, thru the interpreter program, there are probably contacts to the local Deaf community. I haven't attended their workshops in a while but when I did they were excellent. At that time, they also had strong interaction between the hearing students and the Deaf community. They might be able to connect you with some people. At the very least, you can get started on the ASL classes.

http://www.gpc.edu

Each community is different but the deaf people I've known, as individuals and groups, in South Carolina, have been welcoming to former oralists who are making sincere efforts to become part of the Deaf community. Some use CI's, some don't; it's quite a mix.

:welcome:

Are you familiar with Georgia Perimeter College? They offer ASL classes, and they have a sign language interpreter program. The ASL classes should be available to you. They have a Disabilities Office you can check with for services. Also, thru the interpreter program, there are probably contacts to the local Deaf community. I haven't attended their workshops in a while but when I did they were excellent. At that time, they also had strong interaction between the hearing students and the Deaf community. They might be able to connect you with some people. At the very least, you can get started on the ASL classes.

http://www.gpc.edu

Each community is different but the deaf people I've known, as individuals and groups, in South Carolina, have been welcoming to former oralists who are making sincere efforts to become part of the Deaf community. Some use CI's, some don't; it's quite a mix.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I have a friend who's willing to take a class or 2 with me, so perhaps I can get going on that soon. :)

From what I remember there's a fair good sized deaf community in Atlanta.. there's also a good sized deaf-blind community as well (that I know for sure- was able to attend a get together before I moved away). A lot of the deaf even went to the same doc lol (he's since retired... I'll miss him).

I got your PM Botti (thanks) I have just been a little busy - TJ is sick.

To the OP, yes I am from Woodstock/Holly Springs

Back