Votes: 19 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 48.4%
  • Maybe or sometimes

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, this is a battle of wills, because in my case, I spent two years at a deaf school, where I totally didn't do well at all...then my parents went the oral route, and I haven't looked back since then.

It's hard, but nothing tastes better than achieving something knowing that hard work was placed in there.

Trust me, I know I've come very far...far, indeed.

Oral, all the way for me...my personal view!

Maybe for u, u don't mind missing out on info in the educational setting but for me, I do not believe that any deaf child should be denied full access to everything for the sake of oralism. Too many risks for language/socio_emotional delays. I have seen numerous of children who ended up that way because they missed out too much what was happening in the classroom setting. Doesn't set up for an effective learning environment for many deaf children.

You know, this is a battle of wills, because in my case, I spent two years at a deaf school, where I totally didn't do well at all...then my parents went the oral route, and I haven't looked back since then.

It's hard, but nothing tastes better than achieving something knowing that hard work was placed in there.

kashveera - Good to see you are content and enjoying your tastes of success.
Thanks for sharing your perspective.

:cheers:
Right on! "nothing tastes better than achieving something knowing that hard work was placed in there" - very true. and nice way of saying it.

Well, personally... being mainstreamed and oral was total success for me. So, of course I advocate it. Unlike Kashveera, i did not attend a deaf school at all. I was brought up orally and mainstreamed. however, my parents would once a year bring me to this deaf school for hearing assessments and they would ask the school if i could enroll and i was actually rejected basically because they knew i was "too advanced" and that if i had enrolled it would actually hold me back. I seemed to do pretty well with my hearing aids and lip-reading plus note-taking.
Soooo... in my own experience, oralism was the way to go.
I do realize that every child is different, its not a one size fits all type of thing. I am thinking that lip reading skills play a big part into it as well.

Maybe for u, u don't mind missing out on info in the educational setting but for me, I do not believe that any deaf child should be denied full access to everything for the sake of oralism. Too many risks for language/socio_emotional delays. I have seen numerous of children who ended up that way because they missed out too much what was happening in the classroom setting. Doesn't set up for an effective learning environment for many deaf children.

How do you know she was missing out? ust because you did, doesn't mean she did. Your story is not her story.

How do you know she was missing out? ust because you did, doesn't mean she did. Your story is not her story.
faire_jour true....but it does seem like MANY if not most oral and mainstreamed kids do miss out on the advantages that a deaf school or sizable deaf program can offer.
Heck MANY if not most oral deaf and mainstreamed kids have significent social problems. There are exceptions yes.....but it does seem like the Average mainstreamed to the max dhh kid will experiance significent social problems....especially if they are in a suburb that isn't too diverse.

:hmm:...just wondering how all this effective lip reading took place in a classroom, or how one effectively lip reads another student sitting behind them, a teacher who is speaking while writing on the board.

There's more to life than catching every single word that comes out of your teachers' mouths. :shrug:

faire_jour true....but it does seem like MANY if not most oral and mainstreamed kids do miss out on the advantages that a deaf school or sizable deaf program can offer.
Heck MANY if not most oral deaf and mainstreamed kids have significent social problems. There are exceptions yes.....but it does seem like the Average mainstreamed to the max dhh kid will experiance significent social problems....especially if they are in a suburb that isn't too diverse.

Do you feel strongly about this? Most of the oral and mainstreamed kids have significant social problems while deaf kids in deaf schools do not? Im genuinely asking because I have a very limited experience with other deaf people.

Is it possible to have a deaf person to seem perfectly fine to another deaf person but they seem to be lacking some social cues to a hearing person? Again, just asking.

There's more to life than catching every single word that comes out of your teachers' mouths. :shrug:

Perhaps there is more to life, but it is certainly a vital part of the educational environment. But you're right...there is also catching the words coming out of your fellow students' mouths when questions are being asked and answered.:cool2:

Well, personally... being mainstreamed and oral was total success for me. So, of course I advocate it. Unlike Kashveera, i did not attend a deaf school at all. I was brought up orally and mainstreamed. however, my parents would once a year bring me to this deaf school for hearing assessments and they would ask the school if i could enroll and i was actually rejected basically because they knew i was "too advanced" and that if i had enrolled it would actually hold me back. I seemed to do pretty well with my hearing aids and lip-reading plus note-taking.
Soooo... in my own experience, oralism was the way to go.
I do realize that every child is different, its not a one size fits all type of thing. I am thinking that lip reading skills play a big part into it as well.

So you would advocate an oral only approach for all deaf students?

That's very interesting. I've never known a school to refuse enrollment based on a student being "too advanced."

That's very interesting. I've never known a school to refuse enrollment based on a student being "too advanced."

It happened to me. Well, I wasn't REJECTED technically, but Clarke school "strongly recommended" that I do not go to that school because my IQ was too high. However, it IS an oral school for the deaf, perhaps you're thinking of deaf schools?

Do you feel strongly about this? Most of the oral and mainstreamed kids have significant social problems while deaf kids in deaf schools do not? Im genuinely asking because I have a very limited experience with other deaf people.

Is it possible to have a deaf person to seem perfectly fine to another deaf person but they seem to be lacking some social cues to a hearing person? Again, just asking.

Bain, Scott, and Steinberg (2004) state:

Children and adolescents who are deaf often face
challenges in social development that their hearing
peers are spared. The socialization process begins at
a young age with the parents’ communication of values,
expectations, mores, and rules to the child. The child
who has missed information transmitted in family
conversations lacks the foundation of conventional
social skills development. This can lead to future
difficulties throughout the school years and into.
adulthood, particularly if language is not easily
accessible (Meadow-Orlans, 1996).
Barriers to optimal socialization for deaf and hardof-
hearing children are well documented. Deaf children
are more likely than their hearing peers to
experience social deficits.

It happened to me. Well, I wasn't REJECTED technically, but Clarke school "strongly recommended" that I do not go to that school because my IQ was too high. However, it IS an oral school for the deaf, perhaps you're thinking of deaf schools?

Wait...are you saying the Clarke school only accepts oral deaf students with a lower IQ? BTW...Clarke School is a deaf school.

Bain, Scott, and Steinberg (2004) state:

Children and adolescents who are deaf often face
challenges in social development that their hearing
peers are spared. The socialization process begins at
a young age with the parents’ communication of values,
expectations, mores, and rules to the child. The child
who has missed information transmitted in family
conversations lacks the foundation of conventional
social skills development.
This can lead to future
difficulties throughout the school years and into.
adulthood, particularly if language is not easily
accessible (Meadow-Orlans, 1996).
Barriers to optimal socialization for deaf and hardof-
hearing children are well documented. Deaf children
are more likely than their hearing peers to
experience social deficits.

But this doesn't say oral/mainstreamed deaf kids. It talks about deaf kids in general. The bolded above applies for any deaf kid born to hearing parents. Hearing parents are usually not as fluent in ASL as they should be by the time the child enters ASL-based school, so information is missed out here.

well, no.. im not saying i think oral only is the best way to go for all deaf students. i'm just simply sharing my experience and saying "hey hey i am someone who had an oral only approach and hey! guess what! it worked out well! it IS a possibility!" so, don't knock down the oral only approach cuz with patience, understanding, a lot of time, and good teachers who understand not to face the blackboard while speaking, plus accommodations like note taking, etc. it IS indeed possible to be successful when raised oral only. Like i said before, i do know its not a one size fits all. everyone is different.

and yeah, i am not exaggerating, my parents were strongly advised that i do not attend a deaf school - by professors of the school itself! - cause they felt that they would've actually delayed me. since i was already doing so well in mainstream.

Wait...are you saying the Clarke school only accepts oral deaf students with a lower IQ? BTW...Clarke School is a deaf school.

Okay this thread is CONFUSING me. For oral schools, are we talking about deaf schools that use an oral approach (like Clarke) or regular hearing schools???? I was thinking the former only. All I am saying is that Clarke school recommended me to not go to their school because I wouldn't be needing their services in order to prepare to go to a mainstream school. They felt that I could start mainstream in pre-K. That's all.

But this doesn't say oral/mainstreamed deaf kids. It talks about deaf kids in general. The bolded above applies for any deaf kid born to hearing parents. Hearing parents are usually not as fluent in ASL as they should be by the time the child enters ASL-based school, so information is missed out here.

No, it doesn't apply to any deaf kid of hearing parents. And a deaf child misses more information that if provided in only an oral/auditory environment than what is missed when visual information is available.

The same authors also state:

There is a
paucity of information about the experience of social
isolation in the workplace and its effect on employees
who are deaf and communicate orally.

and

In addition to the challenges common to
hearing individuals, the adolescent who is deaf must
form a self-concept that integrates his or her deafness.
Several participants noted that the teenage years were
particularly difficult as the differences between them
and their peers became more prominent and troublesome.
One woman said, ‘‘I would get off the bus and
as I walked home I would cry. . . . I wanted so much to
be like them. Because they made it very well known
that I was different, and it was bad to be different.’’

and

Several participants also mentioned that, especially
in college, their hearing loss restricted them from social
activities because of the extra effort required to keep up
academically, including relying on notes provided by
note-takers or on outside reading rather than on
lectures and class discussions.

Okay this thread is CONFUSING me. For oral schools, are we talking about deaf schools that use an oral approach (like Clarke) or regular hearing schools???? I was thinking the former only. All I am saying is that Clarke school recommended me to not go to their school because I wouldn't be needing their services in order to prepare to go to a mainstream school. They felt that I could start mainstream in pre-K. That's all.

Exactly. Clarke is an oral deaf school whose program is intended to serve only long enough to get the child placed in the mainstream. This is from their mission statement:

Clarke School uses the auditory/oral approach to prepare deaf students, ages 0 to 15, for eventual transition into public and/or private schools with their hearing peers.

However, it is indeed a "deaf school." The name of the school is Clarke School for the Deaf.

So, they did not recommend that you not attend because your IQ was too high for admission to their program. They just did not feel that you needed additional services to prepare you for the mainstream setting. That is quite different than saying your IQ was too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back