Opinions on My Name-Sign

KhronicMiracles

Reaction score
Hey! :wave:

I had a question about name-signs. Mine was created for me by an old friend when I was a teenager. I've moved around a bit and when I do, I of course meet with different Deaf communities who don't know me from when I was younger. Each time I move, obviously I introduce myself and include my name-sign. However, I tend to get the same reaction from people when I do. They aren't sure what to say, and until they really get to know me, they seem a little tentative. I'm in an area now where there really isn't a Deaf community but I do still use interpreters at the hospital and doctor appointments since I have a lot of medical problems. During my last doctor appointment and hospital stay, I received the same reaction from my interpreters.

My name-sign is the sign for 'crazy' but with a K. My name is Kris.

When my friend came up with this for me, we were young and it was meant in a silly way. In the Deaf community there where I grew up, everyone understood it because they knew me, and knew to take it lightly. Since I've moved around though, people don't really know what to make of it. I may be moving to a town that has a pretty decent Deaf community, and when I move there, I'm considering just introducing myself without my name-sign.

I wanted to know how common it was to change your name-sign as you get older to match yourself as you've changed. Is this wrong? What do you guys think when you think of my name-sign? Is this something you understand or do you think it would be better to change since it was more between the VERY small Deaf community I grew up in who already knew me?

Thank you so much for your opinions. :ty:
- Kris

PS. I will write an introduction post soon. I've actually been a member of AllDeaf for a while but haven't been 'involved' in a while and happened to forget my login info. :| I apologize for posting this one first.

I like it too... don't see anything wrong with it. :thumb: I've seen some odd ones in the past lol.

Some do change over the years I think, friends may give them a new one or something. It's been so long since I've been a regular participant in the Deaf community :( that I don't really have a name sign anymore (unless you use my old one from Gallaudet- that's one of the really odd ones I mentioned lol- but it's mostly used among my close friends).

I not used one in years.In hospital environment I rather they use my name the odd person nurse etc signs c.
Use just be referring to my heavy glasses

Same here just use c and if more one c around then c speaks.It don't bother me to be honest only use it at deaf club even then not often.normaley someone touch my shoulder.All depends on situations

That's a cool sign :) keep it!

My sign name is the letter C placed on the heart.

I don t. bother it usually description they know my name they refer the woman over there heavy specks and c..not used one for years unless I go London and it c near specks

Back