openCap theatures laws?

All theatures should have captions

Hi PowerRulez,
I think all theatures should have capitons on all they're movies.
So, the deaf can go and enjoy a good G rated movies with the family and friends.
Margie

SilenceGold said:
There's no laws that claim that theaters are required to have open captions or another deaf accomdations.

So far, the movie companies are being generous.

Hey, are you sure that there are no such laws ?
I wonder cuz I read somewhere that there
were some deafies filed lawsuits to some theaters
for not providing open captions....

Well, I was told that ADA laws or some program ~cant remmy but our deaf community did fought for a long time to have our rights to watch CC at movie theatres..however at california movie producers said no bez hearing people complained that it will disturb them reading...give me a break!!

So, but here in my state...in northwest area, we can go watch CC movie theatre on every tuesdays and wednesdays! can you believe that?????? tues and weds plus looooonnnng way to drive! no way!

I prefer on weekends! ha! but I think our deaf communities are still working on it...I dunno but thats a good question!

I would like to join and fight for our rights! I love to watch movies! I m movie person! ha!

FreakyCandice said:
that weird my threater has C.C. :hum: wonderin how come u dont have one

we do at northwest area...only on tues and weds...yup weird!

thats why i hate this state... :smash: :D

coloravalanche said:
Well, I was told that ADA laws or some program ~cant remmy but our deaf community did fought for a long time to have our rights to watch CC at movie theatres..however at california movie producers said no bez hearing people complained that it will disturb them reading...give me a break!!

So, but here in my state...in northwest area, we can go watch CC movie theatre on every tuesdays and wednesdays! can you believe that?????? tues and weds plus looooonnnng way to drive! no way!

I prefer on weekends! ha! but I think our deaf communities are still working on it...I dunno but thats a good question!

I would like to join and fight for our rights! I love to watch movies! I m movie person! ha!
I know how you feel. Where I'm from, the deaf community is so spread out that the only place you can expect most deaf people is where there are schools with deaf programs. Within this area of under 500 square miles, there are under 100 deaf students ranging from kindergarten and 12th grade. However, the further out you go... the fewer deafies there are. Within 2,500 square miles of the nearest open-captioned movie theater, there are probably under 200 deafies. This movie theater is very popular and has 30 screens. It costs a lot of money to keep this business going so I doubt they could afford to show an open-captioned movie at least 3 times a day in a theater that seats under 200 people... for a whole week. That's why this theater only shows their open-captioned movies almost weekly from Sunday to Tuesday (2 or 3 days in a row).

I agree with Vampy, which is why it's better to go with the RWC method. This way, they won't have to burn the subtitles onto the film.

It's not their fault that you're deaf. That's your problem, and you have to deal with it. They are PRIVATE businesses and shouldn't be forced to pay the expenses. If the deaf people want captioning, they should fundraise enough money to buy the RWC device for the theatres because you'll be helping them with the expenses.

It's more fair this way. The studios will have to pay for the captioning, not the theatres. Theatres shouldn't be held responsible for captioning.

While you may like Open Captioning but I'll be quick to dismiss it because I don't want subtitles on the screen. Having English subtitles on an English-speaking film don't make sense for the general population, period. Now, if you ask me about the DVDs. They are still closed captioning, not open captioning.

Deaf people are the MINORITY and we shouldn't force the MAJORITY to deal with their problems.

If you want captioning, pay for it yourself.

I agree with someone who say abt movie with C.C. why not write to mayor?? make sure u put it "if u put C.C.....it will effect increase more money cuz of alot of Deaf ppls goes to movies" blah blah

I think it should be required that all theatres have open captioned movies. I don't know why the captioning media ain't supporting this?

Back