'Open Carry' Law Contoversy: Gun Owner Cited

Check the prisons. They are full of people who were law abiding all their lives, and then committed a crime of passion.

I believe Jean Harris is the most famous example of someone who committed a crime of passion.

I seem to be obsessed with true crime.

so what they would be charged with? what's the criminal charge called?

I am not an attorney, so I do not know the specific charge that would be leveled. However, I do know that if you carry a gun into an establishment with a no gun rule posted, you are in violation of the law.

Think, Jiro...this guy was just arrested despite an open carry law.

I am not an attorney, so I do not know the specific charge that would be leveled. However, I do know that if you carry a gun into an establishment with a no gun rule posted, you are in violation of the law.

Think, Jiro...this guy was just arrested despite an open carry law.

Arrested? He was never arrested. How can he be arrested for something that is legal? The establishments did not have "NO GUN ALLOWED" policy. It was some overly-panicky person calling a cop on him.

He was given a citation for
The police officer cited Kirby under the law that says it is wrong to carry a weapon if it “manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.”

and we both know it's bullshit and it can be easily thrown out in court.

I believe Jean Harris is the most famous example of someone who committed a crime of passion.

I seem to be obsessed with true crime.

thank you for proving my point that most of "crime of passion" occurred at home, not in public area. if you know of any other recent "crime of passion" where it involves shooting in public area... please let me know and how many such incidents have occurred for the past few years.

Arrested? He was never arrested. How can he be arrested for something that is legal? The establishments did not have "NO GUN ALLOWED" policy. It was some overly-panicky person calling a cop on him.

He was given a citation for

and we both know it's bullshit and it can be easily thrown out in court.

I don't know anything of the kind. So they didn't handcuff him and take him to jail before telling him he had to appear in court. He would not have a citation and a court date if he had been behaving on a completely legal manner.

thank you for proving my point that most of "crime of passion" occurred at home, not in public area. if you know of any other recent "crime of passion" where it involves shooting in public area... please let me know and how many such incidents have occurred for the past few years.

Like I said...check the prisons. People are shot during crimes of passion in public areas all the time, Jiro.

...Problem is - lot of states allow private gun owners to sell their guns to a person. In my state - any gun given to me must come from FFL proxy.
Our state allows private sales.

...So bottom line - don't drink and carry. Lot simpler that way.
Absolutely. :)

I don't know anything of the kind. So they didn't handcuff him and take him to jail before telling him he had to appear in court. He would not have a citation and a court date if he had been behaving on a completely legal manner.
I've already checked several sources. He was given a citation. No arrest was made. It's quite clear that it's a bullshit ticket. Not every citation requires court date nor an arrest.

Look at the OP and re-read it. Do you believe he was acting in a threatening manner in public?

Like I said...check the prisons. People are shot during crimes of passion in public areas all the time, Jiro.

How many is "all the time"? 10 cases in 10 years?

Dangerous area is pretty subjective. It would still appear to be looking for an opportunity to play vigilante.
Dangerous as in high crime rate; neighborhood in the news every week.

How would you know a person's motivation?

I've already checked several sources. He was given a citation. No arrest was made. It's quite clear that it's a bullshit ticket. Not every citation requires court date nor an arrest.

Look at the OP and re-read it. Do you believe he was acting in a threatening manner in public?

Ummm, Jiro: what do you think being given a citation means? It means you are being cited for an illegal activity. Speeding citations are an indication of breaking the legal speed limit.

I don't know. I wasn't there. Evidently, people who were there think he was. It does not bear well for him that he had been involved in an incident at another public place the day before.

Dangerous area is pretty subjective. It would still appear to be looking for an opportunity to play vigilante.

People like Charlie Bronson? That only happens in movie, not real life.

College football, booze, and a gun. Now there's a good combination.:roll:
Huh? I posted reasons for NOT drinking booze at the bar.

"...There are many gun owners who might want to go to a restaurant just to eat and not drink alcohol.

I guess there are people who go to a bar to socialize with their friends. I know that sports bars are popular here, especially when college games are on.

Lots of people don't drink every time they go to a bar. People on a 12-step program, designated drivers, people taking meds that don't mix with alcohol, pregnant women, etc."

Ummm, Jiro: what do you think being given a citation means? It means you are being cited for an illegal activity. Speeding citations are an indication of breaking the legal speed limit.

Right and he's still innocent until proven guilty in the court of law. We all know that it's cooked up just to get a gun off his hands. I haven't been able to find any latest news on it.

Officer does not have any authority to criminalize him

People like Charlie Bronson? That only happens in movie, not real life.

No, Charlie Bronson was a vigilante. I am talking about people committing crimes of passion. And it happens in real life on a daily basis.

Let me pull up an extreme case of what can be termed a crime of passion, as vindication was the heart of the matter: Columbine. That was a very public place.

funny thing is that in NYC - Dunkin' Donut has a sign "NO FIREARM ALLOWED IN THIS PREMISE" (or similar message).

um..... who carries gun in NYC? lol it's impossible to get a CCW permit unless you're Donald Trump.
Cops carry guns AND eat doughnuts. :hmm:

:lol:

Right and he's still innocent until proven guilty in the court of law. We all know that it's cooked up just to get the guns off his hands. I haven't been able to find any latest news on it.

There may be a very good reason why the gun needs to be taken out of his hands. It certainly sounds as if his attitude is representative of a person who thinks they have something to prove.

Dangerous as in high crime rate; neighborhood in the news every week.

How would you know a person's motivation?

Motivation can be implied through behavior and attitude.

But I'll ask you the same. How would you know that their motivation was completely good?

They are covering their butt and enforcing their right. People without a CCW might attempt to bring a firearm into the establishment.
Ah, like an armed robber without a CCW? Yes, that sign would definitely stop an armed robber. :laugh2:

No, Charlie Bronson was a vigilante. I am talking about people committing crimes of passion. And it happens in real life on a daily basis.

Let me pull up an extreme case of what can be termed a crime of passion, as vindication was the heart of the matter: Columbine. That was a very public place.

I never thought of Columbine as a crime of passion... :hmm:

Back