okay ad'ers. ask me anything (but be nice! :))

Hear Again, I don't really have a question. I've just been reading the questions and your answers...I have to say that I think you are an amazing woman. You've come through a lot of obstacles brilliantly. You even sound happy and well-adjusted for the most part. I want to say that I think you are an inspiration...and that, next time I'm tempted to wallow in self-pity because I'm hoh or because I have learning disabilities, I'll think twice and remember how you've turned what could have been such a difficult situation into a good life, at least from what I've read. Good lives are rarely what we think they are, in my opinion...they are mostly what we choose to make of them.

Thank you for the compliment! :ty:

I couldn't agree with you more about each of us having challenges and the way we choose to deal with them.

I've struggled with bipolar disorder over the past 1.5 years, but I was recently put on a new med regimen that is working great. I feel so much better now and have an even better appreciation for how good my life really is. :)

Besides, God doesn't give us any more than He thinks we can handle. :)

Thank you for the compliment! :ty:

I couldn't agree with you more about each of us having challenges and the way we choose to deal with them.

I've struggled with bipolar disorder over the past 1.5 years, but I was recently put on a new med regimen that is working great. I feel so much better now and have an even better appreciation for how good my life really is. :)

Besides, God doesn't give us any more than He thinks we can handle. :)

This I agree with, most of the time, at least. Sometimes, like Mother Theresa said...I wish He wouldn't trust me so much. Like when my baby was sick, for example. Apparently, he felt I could handle it, but Gosh...it's been seven months and I STILL have nightmares about it. But, anyway. So, from that viewpoint, you are a pretty special person, to handle all you do and manage to be, at least from the posts I've read of yours, kind and reasonable as well as respectful of others opinions.

This I agree with, most of the time, at least. Sometimes, like Mother Theresa said...I wish He wouldn't trust me so much. Like when my baby was sick, for example. Apparently, he felt I could handle it, but Gosh...it's been seven months and I STILL have nightmares about it. But, anyway. So, from that viewpoint, you are a pretty special person, to handle all you do and manage to be, at least from the posts I've read of yours, kind and reasonable as well as respectful of others opinions.

I feel the same way. Sometimes I wonder if God isn't testing me and laughing at the same time -- especially when it seems like I go through one hardship after another.

Thanks again for the compliment. I haven't always been tolerant of other people's opinions here on AD, but it's something I'm working on. I hope I'm improving in that department. :)

Hear Again, Do you feel that Television and Movies betray deaf or hearing impaired people in a positive manner in movies and TV shows?

I know I have learned alot reading this thread and have had a chuckle or two as well, thanks for being so open and candid Hear Again.

Now for my question, how do you dream? In my dreams I can see, smell, feel, sometimes hear, but often there is no sounds, it all in feeling. Can you explain your dreams? Please!

I know I have learned alot reading this thread and have had a chuckle or two as well, thanks for being so open and candid Hear Again.

Now for my question, how do you dream? In my dreams I can see, smell, feel, sometimes hear, but often there is no sounds, it all in feeling. Can you explain your dreams? Please!

That's another good question! :)

I dream in a tactile, auditory and olfactory (smell) sense -- although during the 10 years I had severe-profound hearing loss, I couldn't hear in my dreams.
Now that I have CIs, I'm able to hear in my dreams like I could prior to 1995 when I lost my hearing.

In my dreams I float from place to place. I use Tigger or my white cane as well. There have also been a few times where I run from one place to another although I never bump into or trip over anything. When that happens, it's usually when I'm dreaming about being chased.

When I communicate with others in my dreams, I use tactile sign or oral communication. Now that I'm able to understand speech with my CIs, my dreams tend to be more oral in nature.

Hear Again, Do you feel that Television and Movies betray deaf or hearing impaired people in a positive manner in movies and TV shows?

Do you mean portray instead of betray? If so, yes I do think the media portrays the Deaf and HoH in a negative light although this has improved with movies like "Mr. Holland's Opus" (some may disagree, but I loved this movie) "Breaking Through" "Love is Never Silent" "And Your Name is Jonah" "Bridge to Silence" and "Dummy."

Since I'm not culturally Deaf, my opinion about these movies may be different from someone who is.

I've been using tactile sign since 1995, but I do not know what it means to be "big D" Deaf. I'm considered "small d" deaf since I lost my hearing as an adult.

Hear again, what do you think about how blind people are portrayed in movies?

Don't get me started. :giggle:

I have a HUGE problem with the way alot of blind people are portrayed. First of all, I hate it when sighted actors play blind characters in movies. I don't understand why they can't get a blind actor instead.

I also hate it when sighted "blind" actors are shown staring into space with a blank look on their face, tripping over things as they walk, fumbling around with their arms outstretched or knocking things over (except if they are newly blind).

Two movies where I think blindness was portrayed in a good way are "Can You Feel Me Dancing" starring Justine Bateman and "At First Sight" starring Val Kilmer.

Don't get me started. :giggle:

I have a HUGE problem with the way alot of blind people are portrayed. First of all, I hate it when sighted actors play blind characters in movies. I don't understand why they can't get a blind actor instead.

I also hate it when sighted "blind" actors are shown staring into space with a blank look on their face, tripping over things as they walk, fumbling around with their arms outstretched or knocking things over (except if they are newly blind).

Two movies where I think blindness was portrayed in a good way are "Can You Feel Me Dancing" starring Justine Bateman and "At First Sight" starring Val Kilmer.

:gpost: i agree completely.

Back