okay ad'ers. ask me anything (but be nice! :))

i can see it now. the title of jiro's book:

"the story of a domestic dissent"
by jiro

the front cover shows a man with a very angry expression on his face.

page 1 (introduction): :mad2:
page 2 (conclusion): "don't forget to buy jiro's special edition sunglasses."

the back cover shows a picture of jiro sporting his special edition sunglasses.

Maybe someone should ask the mods to make a section for people on AllDeaf who write poetry, novels, nonfiction, biographies, etc.

Maybe someone should ask the mods to make a section for people on AllDeaf who write poetry, novels, nonfiction, biographies, etc.

i think that's a wonderful idea, berry. :) hopefully one of the mods will see your post and direct it to alex's attention.

Isn't that what creative writing is? We have that.:hmm:

the creative writing section isn't secifically designed for published authors or those who wish to be published. i think a separate writers' forum is a good idea since it would allow those of us who are serious about writing to discuss the techniques we use, our frustrations, learning how to deal with editors and publishing companies, etc.

Hear Again --

This has perked up my curiosity and I was wondering how you are able to do this.

From time to time, I see that whenever a member posts a picture and we would describe what the picture looks like to you. However, I've seen you use emoticons in any of your posts.

The question is - If you can't see the pictures that were posted by other members then how are you able to know and/or to identify by using the emoticons? I was just wondering because emoticons are also an image. So, How do you know which emoticons are used correctly? Do you see the emoticons? Or you just use it since it is based on typing it in text?

Just wanted to be curious about this. :)

Hear Again --

This has perked up my curiosity and I was wondering how you are able to do this.

From time to time, I see that whenever a member posts a picture and we would describe what the picture looks like to you. However, I've seen you use emoticons in any of your posts.

The question is - If you can't see the pictures that were posted by other members then how are you able to know and/or to identify by using the emoticons? I was just wondering because emoticons are also an image. So, How do you know which emoticons are used correctly? Do you see the emoticons? Or you just use it since it is based on typing it in text?

Just wanted to be curious about this. :)

jolie,

that's a good question.

the way i'm able to use and identify emoticons is by reading the text that appears immediately to the right of a given emoticon.

for example:

(colon) wave (colon)
(colon) lol (colon)
(colon) aw (colon)
(colon) shock (colon)
(colon) giggle (colon)
(colon) roll (colon)
(colon) ty (colon)
(colon) deaf (colon)

as for the :D and :) emoticons, i know that by typing a colon followed by a capital letter D or a colon followed by a closed parenthesis, i can create both of these emoticons.

you may not know this, but if you type a colon followed by the text of the emoticon you'd like to use along with another colon, you can make its' respective picture appear.

for example, if i type (colon) giggle (colon), the giggle emoticon appears.

does that make sense, jolie?

I think I know what Hear again means but I stopped using the emotions after I stopped being able to see them. The interest in using them just isn't there any more.

A question here, with CI you could hear people emotions the tones of their voices whether they are happy, sad, etc. I was wondering with tactile signs are you able to pick up the person's emotions?

A question here, with CI you could hear people emotions the tones of their voices whether they are happy, sad, etc. I was wondering with tactile signs are you able to pick up the person's emotions?

That's a good question, SG. Yes, emotions can be conveyed through tactile sign.

If I am signing with a Deaf or deafblind person, I can tell how they feel based on the way they sign.

For example, if they are angry, their signs will be quick, exaggerated and aggressive. If they are happy, their signs will be smooth and energetic.

If a tactile terp is signing to me, he or she will convey how a speaker's voice sounds. (i.e. happy, sad, angry, soft, loud, fast speech, slow speech, whether they are laughing or crying, etc.) I can also tell this by the way my tactile terp signs in the manner I described above. :)

Hear Again, I don't really have a question. I've just been reading the questions and your answers...I have to say that I think you are an amazing woman. You've come through a lot of obstacles brilliantly. You even sound happy and well-adjusted for the most part. I want to say that I think you are an inspiration...and that, next time I'm tempted to wallow in self-pity because I'm hoh or because I have learning disabilities, I'll think twice and remember how you've turned what could have been such a difficult situation into a good life, at least from what I've read. Good lives are rarely what we think they are, in my opinion...they are mostly what we choose to make of them.

Back