Ohio man excuted after vulgar last gesture

Just because she have met some scizophrenic, does not mean this man was.
This man knew what he was doing. He was not out of touch. He was pissed off that his wife was going to divorce him.

I do not dispute that he has an illness. Since people that murder others, obviously has mental issues.

I believe that since she had spoken to two people who are qualitfied to exam the man, she is much better qualified than either of us to make the call. Unlike jillio, neither of us have the training or the education to make this call.

Brooks has a very long and documented history of mental illness but the the info
was withheld in court. if you can't understand this even in bold and large type, then you're less intellegent than I thought.

Wow..so many differing views.

Honestly, I dont know how I feel about this. I work with individuals who are developmentally delayed, with mental illness, and so forth so I know that they would not understand their actions if they ever killed anyone. I wouldnt want them to get the death penalty.

On the other hand, I am a mother and if anyone, whether they are compentent or not, killed my children, I would want them suffer the same death too.

I believe that since she had spoken to two people who are qualitfied to exam the man, she is much better qualified than either of us to make the call. Unlike jillio, neither of us have the training or the education to make this call.

Brooks has a very long and documented history of mental illness but the the info
was withheld in court. if you can't understand this even in bold and large type, then you're less intellegent than I thought.

No need to insult my intellegence. I have read the documentations and was able to form my own thoughts on this. Try reading the opposing side of the documentation on the link I posted.

Sometimes, I think life in prison is worse punishment than death penality. However, on the other hand, are we a country who promotes the suffering of humans like some countries do?

Maybe the death penalty is the more humane way to do it..put these individuals out of their misery and leave no chance for them getting out in society again to murder our children.

Which one is right? If it was me and I was suffering from an illness that caused me to kill children, give me the death penaltiy rather than suffering from my illness in prison for the rest of my life.

That's just me.

Wow..so many differing views.

Honestly, I dont know how I feel about this. I work with individuals who are developmentally delayed, with mental illness, and so forth so I know that they would not understand their actions if they ever killed anyone. I wouldnt want them to get the death penalty.

On the other hand, I am a mother and if anyone, whether they are compentent or not, killed my children, I would want them suffer the same death too.

Which is normal. That is why we don't let individual's extract their own justice. It isn't objective.

Sometimes, I think life in prison is worse punishment than death penality. However, on the other hand, are we a country who promotes the suffering of humans like some countries do?

Maybe the death penalty is the more humane way to do it..put these individuals out of their misery and leave no chance for them getting out in society again to murder our children.

Which one is right? If it was me and I was suffering from an illness that caused me to kill children, give me the death penaltiy rather than suffering from my illness in prison for the rest of my life.

That's just me.

It's not like this guy killed stangers' children by the dozen.

That's the point. If you were psychotic, you wouldn't think that way.

No need to insult my intellegence. I have read the documentations and was able to form my own thoughts on this. Try reading the opposing side of the documentation on the link I posted.

Whcih are, I remind you, meetings from a parole board meeting, not court documents.

Which is normal. That is why we don't let individual's extract their own justice. It isn't objective.

:gpost: If it were my own kid, I wouldn't be very ojective. I do know someone whose mother was murdered years ago (not by mentall ill person) and she moved against the death penalty for her mother's murderer. That boggled my mind and she was the one who discovered her mother's body. It stills boggles my mine even now.

:gpost: If it were my own kid, I wouldn't be very ojective. I do know someone whose mother was murdered years ago (not by mentall ill person) and she moved against the death penalty for her mother's murderer. That boggled my mind and she was the one who discovered her mother's body. It stills boggles my mine even now.

She was an exceptional person.

Any argument by Brooks that the trial court unfairly truncated his ability to obtain discovery and present evidence has to be weighed against the fact that Brooks obtained his expert evaluation MONTHS prior to even filing a petition with the trial court allegeing incompetency. Any delay or urgency in the proceedings must get taxed against Brooks. Nevertheless, the exhaustive manner in which the trial court conducted the competency litigation belies any claim by Brooks that his due process rights were violated or that the process itself was unconstitutional.
http://www.sconet.state.oh.us/tempx/696874.pdf

Oh well....

that doesn't mean anything.

a person with schizophrenia can function like a normal person and it's just a matter of time till he gets a psychotic breakout or delusional episode.

So he functioned fine planning the murders and planning his get away, but pulling the trigger was just an episode right? :lol:

Kind of funny to say that one would plan for his/her delusional, psychotic episode.:lol:

Here are the facts of the case. This man was severely mentally ill prior to commission of his crime. We know what was in his head at the time, as it has been documented. He was totally out of touch with reality and consumed with conspiracies that were being perpetrated against him that included his wife and his co-workers. He believed his family was poisoning him and that his co-workers were assisting. He believed many more things that make virtually no sense which is evidence of his complete break with reality and decent into severe psychosis. He has continued to suffer psychosis. Meds can mediate the effects of psychosis, but they rarely relieve all symptoms: hence the psychotic individual's frequent hospitalizations.

Evidence of his psychotic state was withheld from the 3 judge panel that recommended death. One of the judges that sat on that panel has stated publicly that he would not have voted for the death sentence had that information been available to him. In other words, the man would have been sentenced to life without parole instead of death.

The justice system has publicly recongized that this man has been severely mentally ill the entire time he was in custody.

His mental illness is not in question. His guilt is not in question. What is in question is the execution of a mentally ill inmate who cannot fully comprehend what is happening and why. The Supreme Court, in 1986 ruled that the execution of mentally retarded and severely mentally ill inmates was illegal.

A schizophrenic is slave to their delusions and their halucinations. If they stop taking their medication, they are not responsible for doing what their illness has commanded they do. That is why they are treated with humane measures.

Like I said, we are not talking about an addict, we are not talking about someone with depression, we are talking about an individual with a severe psychotic illness.

I would challenge a few here to spend some time with psychotic individuals, and then come back and tell me how responsible, in control, and able to make decisions based on reality these individuals are.

Here is another FACT. Appeals courts heard the case, heard the new evidence and didn't stop the execution. Justice was served. End of story.

That's just me.

I think the same thing, too. I don't think I want to live in prison for life if I have my illness and murder my beloved ones.

But, my view is a bit different. If someone tries to murder me, I would rather to end my life on my own first before he or she could take my life. I refuse to die in murder's hands. No, thanks. I really hate to think of how dead I would be in cold blood. But, If someone tries to murder children, I would kill someone first and go to jail! I refuse allow someone to take my beloved ones from me! But, if I am completely defenseless against someone that I can't save my kids, I would kill my kids and myself before someone would! I make so damn sure that I take my kids with me, so my kids won't dead in a murder's hands, period.

Call me crazy, but I see innocents dead in a murder's hands is painfully sorrow to me. Not that something I want for my own death... Not my relatives, either.

So he functioned fine planning the murders and planning his get away, but pulling the trigger was just an episode right? :lol:

How do you know how he was functioning? And how do you know the murders were planned?

Here is another FACT. Appeals courts heard the case, heard the new evidence and didn't stop the execution. Justice was served. End of story.

Justice was not served according to the Supreme Court ruling against execution of the mentally ill. That is the whole point.

Back