Ohio governor signs bill making state 38th to ban gay marriage

Banjo

Expelled
Premium Member
Reaction score
Friday, February 6, 2004 Posted: 6:31 PM EST (2331 GMT)

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Ohio Gov. Bob Taft approved one of the country's most-far reaching gay-marriage bans on Friday, saying its adoption was urgent because the nation's first legally sanctioned same-sex weddings could take place as early as this spring in Massachusetts.

The bill, which Taft signed in private, also prohibits state employees from getting marital benefits for their unmarried partners, whether homosexual or heterosexual.

Approving the bill to make gay marriages "against the strong public policy of the state" became more pressing after the Massachusetts Supreme Court ruled 4-3 this week that denial of marriage to same-sex couples as unconstitutional, Taft said. (The Massachusetts ruling)

"It is necessary for us to act now to safeguard Ohio's marriage laws," Taft said. "Ohio could have same-sex couples who were 'married' in Massachusetts taking legal action in Ohio to recognize that marriage and to obtain the resulting benefits."

When the law takes effect in 90 days, Ohio will become the 38th state to adopt a "defense of marriage act" and the second to deny benefits to some employees' partners.

Taft, a Republican, denied assertions that the law promotes intolerance. He said the new law would send a strong positive message to children and families.

"Marriage is an essential building block of our society, an institution we must reaffirm," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/02/06/gay.marriage.ap/index.html

Ohio Sucks! and Im living in Ohio.. :lol:

Oh no! Once Governor sign the bill, Ohio will become more quiet. Ohio used be highest moaning than rest of USA. *hint* remmy joke about Ohio?????

Know that I don't make any sense. :smash:

Lasza said:
Oh no! Once Governor sign the bill, Ohio will become more quiet. Ohio used be highest moaning than rest of USA. *hint* remmy joke about Ohio?????

Know that I don't make any sense. :smash:

What the Ohio joke? I wanna know.. :lol:

lol Lasza.. do tell

That really sucks about Ohio's governing body... I foresee a series of costly lawsuits upcoming, if there are folks against the idea of banning gay marriages and willing to go to any lengths. :twisted: Waste of the taxpayers' dollars, though in defending the approved bill of banning gay marriages.... money could be saved or used for other more worthy endeavors if they would not ban gay marriages. Cheri, how do you feel about that? Good bye tax money... LOL! So... who do you think will get the brunt of anger in the long run?

Liza said:
lol Lasza.. do tell

That really sucks about Ohio's governing body... I foresee a series of costly lawsuits upcoming, if there are folks against the idea of banning gay marriages and willing to go to any lengths. :twisted: Waste of the taxpayers' dollars, though in defending the approved bill of banning gay marriages.... money could be saved or used for other more worthy endeavors if they would not ban gay marriages. Cheri, how do you feel about that? Good bye tax money... LOL! So... who do you think will get the brunt of anger in the long run?

I don't think it was right to banned Gay Marriage.. I believe that Everyone meaning lesbian, Gay and Straight should have the same Freedom of Right to get married.. I never like that Govern of Ohio I didn't vote for him but he Won anyways..Thats right Money could be saved or used if they would not banned Gay Marriage. I have two lesbian friends which they are not happy with the Govern banning of Gay Marriage. and I do not blame them at all.. I feel for them. I do feel that it would be a big blow up in Ohio... *holding up Peace Sign* :lol:

Damn on Ohio Governor!! Shame on him to sign the bill banning Gay marriage in the state of Ohio. Sadly, I am Ohioan native.

Yes, I know Ohio joke, Lasza!!

OOOOOO (Sunrise) Hurrryyyy Intercourse OOOOOOO (Sunset)

Last edited:
Oddball said:
Damn on Ohio Governor!! Shame on him to sign the bill banning Gay marriage in the state of Ohio. Sadly, I am Ohioan native.

Yes, I know Ohio joke, Lasza!!

OOOOOO Hurrryyyy Intercourse OOOOOOO

:rofl: is that the joke?

yes, look at Oddball's joke about Ohio. That what I talked about.

OOOOOO(sunrise) Hurrryyyy Intercourse OOOOOOO(sunset)

Liza's right about tax and money after banned. What if US congress passed the bill. Might disable all state laws for banned gay marriage possible.

yes o h i o joke :crazy:

anyway, they want to be quiet about it and maybe suprise them? I would ack for sure

ofc closed minded poeple just don't see the relization of the future, we will win and we will prevail. just u watch! that will be repealed in no time!!!!!

as far as im concerned. Ohio will wake up

:rofl: at oddballs comment yep i do remmy that joke i heard of it in 1993 and i cracked up! hahaha :)

javapride said:
ofc closed minded poeple just don't see the relization of the future, we will win and we will prevail. just u watch! that will be repealed in no time!!!!!

as far as im concerned. Ohio will wake up

I do believe what make people have more closed mind cuz of strong christianity still alive in our country since 1620 (Pilgram people arrived).

In my opinion, they are brainwashing by the Bible about one man and one woman into one, blab blab blab. They believe these words than listen to their heart.

Often wonder when will USA included Ohio wake up? Maybe 2030 or later. Have to wait for Baby boomers and elders bounced out of politcal world. Let Xers and young people take over and repealed.

Notice myself, most common are gay marriage ban are come from Elders and some baby boomers. Oh geez!

Lasza -- u are right -- most of them are baby boomers/elders *rme* -- they will eventually retire from office and thus letting the gen xers take over :D

Ohio is 1 of the most conservative states in the USA i think

Fly Free said:
Lasza -- u are right -- most of them are baby boomers/elders *rme* -- they will eventually retire from office and thus letting the gen xers take over :D

Ohio is 1 of the most conservative states in the USA i think

Yes, Ohio is a conversative state. Nothing is new about Ohio. Sighs. I consider that New York is the most conversative of all states IMO.

Back