NRA offensive exposes deep U.S. divisions on guns

I think it was bad idea for federal to ban on assault weapon so the regulation should be left to state.

Wyoming and Montana don't agree with ban on assault weapon, so make as federal law is conflict of interest.

it's a GREAT idea that there is a federal law banning assault weapon. assault weapon is already illegal and has been illegal for decades and should remain illegal!

assault weapon = fully-automatic weapon... which is basically a military weapon.

Guess what? Since 1965 owning and buying bomb has been illegal and outlaw already right? How come they still blow up these places? Where did they get these bombs? I don't think they were obtained legally, no way! This just another proof my point why ban will not work, and these scumbags will always try to find way to crack and get though the system.

that's why Tim McVeigh, Eric Rudolph, Eric Harris & Dylan Klebold (Columbine) used bombs, right?

Guess what? Since 1965 owning and buying bomb has been illegal and outlaw already right? How come they still blow up these places? Where did they get these bombs? I don't think they were obtained legally, no way! This just another proof my point why ban will not work.

*gasp*
ban.gif

time to ban fertilizer bags being sold at Home Depot and Lowe's!

it's a GREAT idea that there is a federal law banning assault weapon. assault weapon is already illegal and has been illegal for decades.

assault weapon = fully-automatic weapon... typically a military version.

Oh really, is it under Gun Control Act of 1968?
Gun Control Act of 1968 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It isn't enough for CrazyPaul and he's whining about gun laws are too lax, so I'm helping him to reinstate 1994 Federal Assault Weapon Ban that only enforce in state of California, so can't go beyond all states, hey CP, don't be mad at us. :lol:

Oh really, is it under Gun Control Act of 1968?
Gun Control Act of 1968 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It isn't enough for CrazyPaul and he's whining about gun laws are too lax, so I'm helping him to reinstate 1994 Federal Assault Weapon Ban that only enforce in state of California, so can't go beyond all states, hey CP, don't be mad at us. :lol:
lax? what are you talking about? it's plenty strict enough.

didn't you read my previous post that majority of new gun laws and new system are grossly under-funded and ignored? why even bother creating more gun laws if the government are going to ignore it again and again and again?

lax? what are you talking about? it's plenty strict enough.

didn't you read my previous post that majority of new gun laws and new system are grossly under-funded and ignored? why even bother creating more gun laws if the government are going to ignore it again and again and again?

Ask CP. :dunno:

He doesn't see existing gun law as too strict so don't count on me.

it's a GREAT idea that there is a federal law banning assault weapon. assault weapon is already illegal and has been illegal for decades and should remain illegal!

assault weapon = fully-automatic weapon... which is basically a military weapon.
Why aren't S/A weapons called assault weapons as well?

LOL, most fertilizer at home depot isn't bomb graded, they have re-formulated them to prevent somebody from creating bomb. Right fertilizers for bomb is found at farmland.

Problem with bomb ban is that all it takes for one to create bomb is the knowledge. The materials needs to make bomb is readily available anywhere, so with knowledge they already got what they needed. No one can take knowledge away from anyone, thats why ban isn't 100% workable. Too many crooks out there have these knowledge.

*gasp*
ban.gif

time to ban fertilizer bags being sold at Home Depot and Lowe's!

Why aren't S/A weapons called assault weapons as well?

because...

1. assault weapon is a full auto weapon
2. semiautomatic weapon is not full auto weapon
3. semiautomatic weapon is not the same as assault weapon
4. it's not the military weapon
5. it's no different from same design with wooden part
6. it's not an assault weapon
7. "assault weapon" is a politically-charged word to scare the public

and lastly.... you're just terrified of it because it looks like a military weapon. would you be terrified if it had wooden parts? both models with wooden part and black plastic part are EXACTLY same thing!!!

you do realize that a hunting rifle is much deadlier and destructive than these "assault weapon" that you're terrified of? you do realize that these "assault weapon" can't even kill an African animal?

Very true, perfect example Assault rifle can't kill Elephant, need damn powerful rifle called Elephant rifle or 50 caliber rifle.

you do realize that these "assault weapon" can't even kill an African animal?

Three areas where Biden and NRA can find common ground - CNN.com
For example, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System is an existing law that has been underfunded and insufficiently implemented. Updated after the Virginia Tech shootings, backed by the NRA and signed into law by President Bush, the law requires federally licensed gun dealers to check with a coordinated federal database to see whether the would-be gun buyer has any history of dangerous mental health problems -- as well as criminal record, arrest warrants, or orders of civil protection -- that would stop them from owning a firearm under existing law.

The Virginia Tech shooter, Seung-Hui Cho, who killed 32 people in the span of a few hours, had been previously diagnosed as mentally ill and could have been stopped from purchasing his murder weapons if the information had been available to the background check system. But since Virginia Tech, states have made only limited progress in reporting the critical mental health information, primarily because Congress has failed to provide the necessary funding, granting just 5.3% of the total authorized amount during the Obama years. Increased screening for mental health is one of the few areas the NRA agreed should be focused on in the wake of Newtown and yet the Obama administration and Congress have failed to enforce the existing law by depriving it of funds needed for implementation.

Likewise, the NRA has long championed Project Exile, a pilot program first implemented in Richmond, Virginia, which prosecuted serious local gun crimes committed by felons under federal law, putting repeat offenders in federal prisons far away from their communities. This get-tough approach,which inspired President Bush's national initiative Project Safe Neighborhoods, ended up cutting the "gun carry" rate in half and reducing the murder rate in Richmond by more than 60%. The five-year mandatory sentence for committing a crime with an illegal gun changed criminal behavior. Similar initiatives have been implemented in cities throughout the country, but the coordination has been spotty and the Obama administration has failed to follow through on the model or add innovations to it.

Finally, President Obama could order the Justice Department to increase the prosecutions of people who falsify information on their gun background checks. In 2009, the FBI reported 71,000 instances of people lying on their background checks to buy guns. But the Justice Department prosecuted just 77 cases -- that's about 1/10th of 1%. A lack of follow through from the federal government is letting these gun criminals walk, and that sends a message about lack of enforcement that only encourages systematic disrespect for existing gun laws.

and yet... you want more gun laws when in fact our own federal government doesn't bother to fund or follow through? :roll:

Very true, perfect example Assault rifle can't kill Elephant, need damn powerful rifle called Elephant rifle or 50 caliber rifle.

I'll take the .700 Nitro Express please :)

I think only one thing will change and most congresspeople are very likely to support - improve the background check.

There are loopholes that ability to buy firearm without background check.
How A Loophole Allowed A Mass Murderer To Obtain His Murder Weapon Without A Background Check | ThinkProgress

Speaking about federal ban on assault weapon - not going to be easy with the congress.
Jiro just said in post #345 that there's already assault weapons ban under federal law but S/A weapons are not one of them because they aren't assault weapons as he also said in post #353. Oh well, wait and see.

Jiro just said that there's already assault weapons ban under federal law but S/A weapons are not one of them because they aren't assault weapons as he also said. Oh, well, wait and see.

Why are you saying - wait and see?

What is your expectation for federal to do something?

Jiro just said that there's already assault weapons ban under federal law but S/A weapons are not one of them because they aren't assault weapons as he also said. Oh, well, wait and see.

wait and see what? more examples of failed common sense and logics? and cluelessness?

I am still amazed at your outstanding ignorance and cluelessness that semiautomatic weapon = assault weapon. oh well no biggie. it's not going to get banned anyway.

wait and see what? more examples of failed common sense and logics? and cluelessness?

I am still amazed at your outstanding ignorance and cluelessness that semiautomatic weapon = assault weapon. oh well no biggie. it's not going to get banned anyway.
Lawmakers will decide, not you.

Back