Not completely deaf, but...

ssaemblog

Reaction score
Hello, I'm Freddie.

I've just recently turned twenty-years-old and I'm a nearly completely deaf girl that lives a miserable life of child (well, would you consider me a child now? Nah, not really) abuse since, well, forever ago. I'm nearly completely deaf in my right ear and have lost a lot of my hearing in my left ear. It is hereditary. I do not know sign language but I feel like I really need to (and want to) but I don't know where to start. I'm not sure which online resources are really good, and I can't go out and find a class because nobody will want to drive me to it every single day (that the class is going on). One time a deaf girl came to houses in the neighbourhood and offered to teach, but my dad said no, thinking I don't need it. -_-

Anywho.

My birthday is July 16. I do makeup tutorials and stuff on YouTube as well as self studying Mandarin Chinese (with traditional characters!) on the side. I've tried self studying ASL with signingsavvy but I'm not sure if doing it one word at a time is really the way to go as a whole, plus it's hard to practice by myself. I've been watching Switched at Birth and I can pick up a few phrases here and there, but that's not enough!

I like Korean and Taiwanese music, as well as Taiwanese and Japanese shows. Some Korean movies as well. I spend a lot of time on the computer, obviously. I don't have many "friends" at all, and the ones I do have, we don't hang out very often since they "don't have gas" to pick me up. It's also hard communicating with random new people since I can't understand them a lot so I've found this forum from a Google search!

Yeah... that is a lot. I'll leave it here. Basically, I'm wanting to find friends that are just like me. Maybe help me out with some sign language here and there.

Hi Freddie, and welcome. There are several people here in their late teens and into their 20's. Read around in the various threads and you'll find them.

Re: learning sign language, do a search for "sign language" here on AllDeaf and various threads will come up. People have recommended different websites and various books. Maybe some of those suggestions might be helpful to you.

Again, welcome, pull up a chair, read through some threads, and I hope you soon feel at home here.

I'll have to do some searching.
It's nearly two in the morning so at the moment, I'm too lazy to do hard work searching.

just saw a couple of your videos to get some idea. skipped around to listen to your speaking. I'm impressed with your speaking skill. I would have thought you were born hearing and then you became deaf later on. I'm guessing you had an extensive speech therapy since little?

and you're 20 now... no college?

I've never been completely deaf.
I just grew up speaking normally.

No, it goes with the BS I deal with at home and that's a whole other life story for people I know and trust more.

Hm, how do you do signatures on this thing?
Is this another one of those I gotta have a certain amount of posts before I can see the signatures option?

Oh, I see it now! Thank you! What a short requirement. I like it. This makeup forum I've joined requires 90, oh lawd.

I've never been completely deaf.
I just grew up speaking normally.

No, it goes with the BS I deal with at home and that's a whole other life story for people I know and trust more.

Hm, how do you do signatures on this thing?
Is this another one of those I gotta have a certain amount of posts before I can see the signatures option?

oic gotcha. welcome to AD! :wave:

you wear hearing aids?

It's more of a money issue than anything else, actually.
That and I've simply chosen not to wear hearing aids because I don't need them right now.
In the future, and when I can afford them myself, I'll probably get one or two.

I have hearing loss, but not incredibly severe loss in both ears.
It's more of I have hearing loss and it's going, but it's more of people sound like they're speaking Spanish to me than English.

Aaaah, Tia Marie, me too. I went on a makeup splurge this past birthday weekend.

It's more of a money issue than anything else, actually.
That and I've simply chosen not to wear hearing aids because I don't need them right now.
In the future, and when I can afford them myself, I'll probably get one or two.

I have hearing loss, but not incredibly severe loss in both ears.
It's more of I have hearing loss and it's going, but it's more of people sound like they're speaking Spanish to me than English.

Aaaah, Tia Marie, me too. I went on a makeup splurge this past birthday weekend.

that's what VRS is for. they can help pay for it. they paid for mine.

Since you are over age 18, so you can try to check with Voc. reh to see if they can give you any information about hearing aid, just take a test for it and see if you can try to check hearing aid, and see if they can give you the information about ASL class too.

Welcome. :)

Hi Freddie!

I am 19, profoundly Deaf :) Feel free to chat, you can send me a private message :)

Hahahahha, @dogmom, I just woke up and didn't see the smiley face added and thought "Yes... yes, that is my name."

Thank you. :)

welcome 2 Alldeaf!
just like you, I'm almost nearly deaf but done well with my purple hearing aids LOL

Purple hearing aids?!
If I ever get hearing aids, I want turquoise. >:)
If that's an option...

Back