Non verbal son, trying to learn and teach ASL

Juniper148

Reaction score
Hi there. I hope this is the place for me. My son is 3.5 and largely non verbal. I suspect apraxia but he has not been formally diagnosed. We have taught him signs since was 6 months or so, just as we have all our other typically developing, hearing children.

About 5-6 months ago, we had started AAC (a "talker") with him. It has wildly successful at first but his enthusiasm and willingness to use it has died down. Probably because every request using the talker at first was met with yes, and now it is not necessarily so. It is also painstakingly slow to communicate with compared to signing.

He has always been exceptionally good at expressing himself using facial expressions, gestures, and signs. I've always had an interest in sign language so it seemed only natural to teach him ASL. I have been working my way through the lifeprint lessons on YouTube learning lots of ASL vocabulary and a little grammar.

My first question is it offensive to the Deaf community that we are wanting to teach him ASL? Should I be using the terms "signing" instead of ASL? An audiologist once told me that what my son is using for signs is not considered ASL and the Deaf community would be "really mad and offended" if they heard me say that. Now mind you, this person has never met my son. I do realize as a hearing person who is not a CODA, I will never have the signing ability equivalent to a Deaf person, I get that. But is it offensive or wrong to say I am teaching him ASL?

My next question is where can I find local ASL classes? I have tried searching but have been given one email after the next, none of which have led me to any information on where I can take a local classes. I'm in Des Moines, IA.

:welcome:

Yes, this is the place for you. :)

Welcome to AllDeaf!

I can't answer all of your questions since I'm HOH and not Deaf, but for learning ASL my wife and I have been taking classes at a local community college. Our course is taught by a Deaf instructor and the entire course is taught silently (very similar to how Dr. Bill's courses on lifeprint are done). I'd recommend finding a course that takes that approach and is taught by a native signer, it's a great environment to learn in. I've heard taking courses through HLAA can be a good as well.

Welcome!

I think this is a great site for you -- there have been lots of people here over the years, (whether children, young adults, parents, etc.) that have similar stories as yours. I think if you use the "Search" feature (you can find it at the top of the page here.) it might help because there are SO many threads to look at. :)

Welcome to AllDeaf. What a fortunate son you have! Keep learning and signing. Do you have a Deaf Community Center where you live? If so, they will be happy to put you in touch with the right instructors or others who can help your family. Try and get as many family members as you can to join you in learning ASL. You will also find many knowlegable people here who can help you on your life adventure.

Good luck!

Yes, you're in the right place!!!!! There are some children who use ASL as a first language due to things like apraxia, tracheostomies, cerebal palsy etc......So YES, you are in the right place. Sometimes we get parents of autistic (meaning classic nonverbal severe) kids who want their kids to learn some signs and assume that some signs= ASL.
Contact the School for the Deaf...http://www.iowaschoolforthedeaf.org/
Also if there is a United Cerebal Palsy or Easter Seals in your area, they may have info and support on ASL as a first language for kids with conditions that inhibit their abilty to use expressive spoken language. Your son has a really low incidence condition...There are a couple of schools that have programs for apraxic students....http://www.srsdeaf.org/Apraxia.aspx and http://cccbsd.org/

ASL is WELCOME! ASL is welcome no matter what as American Sign Language is now considered a language (thankfully) so no it is NOT offensive for you to teach your son ASL because it is no difference between teaching ASL and another language - let's say Spanish for example? Only way it can be offensive is if you use it for something, exploit ASL for something or in any way for example but as long as you respect ASL while teaching him or in fact anybody you pleases it is not offensive to us.

Offensive to use ASL for mockery, faking (such as making fun of or not respecting ASL as a language) and others. Same with other languages such as Spanish, French and many others.

Like someone above gave a excellent suggestion about you should search for Deaf community events or such in your area so to take your son and Deaf or even Hard of Hearing (I am HOH but I consider myself Deaf regardless) would take so much of a joy to help you with your son teaching ASL. By doing that so, that will help your son to learn ASL quicker and have a better understanding for the language of ASL both of yourselves by learning about ASL from Deaf community. AllDeaf here is one of many excellent places for you to look around and ask as we are more than happy to help if you ask us for some help. :)

Once your son learn ASL, first thing I would recommend is to get him VRS because then he can communicate with everybody (both of your families, your friends or his) by calling them using VRS (video relay service). For other accessibility to help your son to learn ASL I suggest to check up Harris Communications where they will offer a whole different tools for ASL such as learning ASL dvds, books, etc etc. Harris Communications is the company that almost every single Deaf/HOH people rely on to get tools or equipments (PLEASE DO NOT GET TTY because TTY is practically obsoleted as TTY is no longer a communication equipment for Deaf community as there has been a new communication equipment that we uses which is VRS - Video Relay Service). https://www.harriscomm.com/

there was item on the news today called ??mutism I don't remember all of it b/c only caught alittle of the item and it was british news, mostly after child left school I think but what you say seems abit like it...I tend be out of the loop on most things these days but if it back on news today I will post info

For your son's age, you might find the YouTube videos by Sheena McFeely fun to watch with him. The series is called ASLNook and might have some fun activities that you can do with your son to help him learn ASL.

to add to what Joshie said.....ad as long as you view it as an actual language, rather then a few signs used for AAC purposes.

Well thanks everybody for the warm welcome!:wave: I was a little hesitant, because like I said, I had been told by some others who are supposedly "in the know" that it was somehow taboo. I was scratching my head wondering why deaf or HoH people wouldn't want more people they could communicate with.

ASL is WELCOME! ASL is welcome no matter what as American Sign Language is now considered a language (thankfully) so no it is NOT offensive for you to teach your son ASL because it is no difference between teaching ASL and another language - let's say Spanish for example? Only way it can be offensive is if you use it for something, exploit ASL for something or in any way for example but as long as you respect ASL while teaching him or in fact anybody you pleases it is not offensive to us.

Offensive to use ASL for mockery, faking (such as making fun of or not respecting ASL as a language) and others. Same with other languages such as Spanish, French and many others.

Like someone above gave a excellent suggestion about you should search for Deaf community events or such in your area so to take your son and Deaf or even Hard of Hearing (I am HOH but I consider myself Deaf regardless) would take so much of a joy to help you with your son teaching ASL. By doing that so, that will help your son to learn ASL quicker and have a better understanding for the language of ASL both of yourselves by learning about ASL from Deaf community. AllDeaf here is one of many excellent places for you to look around and ask as we are more than happy to help if you ask us for some help. :)

Once your son learn ASL, first thing I would recommend is to get him VRS because then he can communicate with everybody (both of your families, your friends or his) by calling them using VRS (video relay service). For other accessibility to help your son to learn ASL I suggest to check up Harris Communications where they will offer a whole different tools for ASL such as learning ASL dvds, books, etc etc. Harris Communications is the company that almost every single Deaf/HOH people rely on to get tools or equipments (PLEASE DO NOT GET TTY because TTY is practically obsoleted as TTY is no longer a communication equipment for Deaf community as there has been a new communication equipment that we uses which is VRS - Video Relay Service). https://www.harriscomm.com/

We definitely don't mock ASL, actually we're incredibly thankful for the communication skills it has provided so far with our family, and we've only scratched the surface. I was not aware of VRS, I assumed deaf people just used skype or something similar. I will definitely check into it!

For your son's age, you might find the YouTube videos by Sheena McFeely fun to watch with him. The series is called ASLNook and might have some fun activities that you can do with your son to help him learn ASL.

I will look into that, always looking for more ways I can teach him!

to add to what Joshie said.....ad as long as you view it as an actual language, rather then a few signs used for AAC purposes.

My hope is that he can become fluent, or at least conversational with native signers. One day he won't need it, most likely, but he'll always have it and never know when it may come in handy.

It appears that we do have a deaf center. Or used to. The email is sent back as undeliverable and the website is defunct. But there is a phone number I will try.

YAY!!! Is apraxia his only issue? I know apraxia is very low incidence... And there is a small percentage of high functioning speech impaired (meaning not related to intellectucal disabilty issues) people who do use ASL as a first expressive language.

Well thanks everybody for the warm welcome!:wave: I was a little hesitant, because like I said, I had been told by some others who are supposedly "in the know" that it was somehow taboo. I was scratching my head wondering why deaf or HoH people wouldn't want more people they could communicate with.

We definitely don't mock ASL, actually we're incredibly thankful for the communication skills it has provided so far with our family, and we've only scratched the surface. I was not aware of VRS, I assumed deaf people just used skype or something similar. I will definitely check into it!
Video Relay Service is a whole different technology from Skype or such. Via Skype we cannot call the hearing people but for VRS we can as when we call anyone there would be interpreters who would appears on your screen (television, phone, tablet or monitors) to interpret what the caller (hearing people) says to your son in ASL and then the interpreter would interpret what your son is saying in ASL to the caller using their voice. It is as if they are your personal interpreter or secretary but what is great about VRS is that it is absolutely free! Interpreters are already paid for, the VRS devices (video phone) are paid for (although there is ONE vrs who appears to be greedy to want to sell a device instead of providing them free like the rest of VRS providers) by Federal Communications Commission (FCC) who was responsible for TTY (TRS).

There are few of VRS providers that are great, certified interpreters and willing to go as far as to make sure that the communication between both Deaf/HOH and hearing callers smoothly. Some VRS providers stinks so be careful with who choosing for VRS provider but if you would like to know who VRS providers you should check out for your son please feel free to send me a message here and I would be more than happy to point you to the direction along with which VRS provider I would recommend for your son.

Best thing about VRS is that you can call using ANY devices. Their physical device, their mobile app for your Iphone or Android phones, apps for your tablet (Ipad, Windows Surface etc) and software for Windows PC or Mac PC. So with VRS your son would have accessibility to call whoever he wish to call everywhere without having to rely on only using TTY at home only which TTY is becoming obsoleted now.

If anyone tell you that it is wrong or that you should not teach your son ASL, they are silly because ASL is a language and anyone is welcome to learn or communicate ASL freely but only with respect as same way with other languages (learning or communicating in different languages but only with respect).

YAY!!! Is apraxia his only issue? I know apraxia is very low incidence... And there is a small percentage of high functioning speech impaired (meaning not related to intellectucal disabilty issues) people who do use ASL as a first expressive language.

Yes, his only issue is verbal apraxia (some have global apraxia where it affects motor planning of the limbs as well as speech). It does not affect his cognition or anything else. Being his mother, I like to believe he's rather smart:D

It's rare, and even more rare that it occurs by itself. It usually presents with something else such as down syndrome, autism, or global apraxia which he definitely doesn't have. Time will tell if it affects reading or he has dyslexia.

I'm honestly kind of surprised more parents and educators don't teach speech delayed kids how to sign past the basics of more, help and eat. He qualified for special ed preschool and when I asked about signing I was told the don't teach it and with the exception of basic baby signs, the teachers don't know it. Needless to say he won't be going there. We're homeschoolers anyway so we have just continued with that.

Sounds like homeschooling is a good idea at this point. With the signs you're finding online that's already a better start than having teachers who don't know any. Maybe at some point he will be ready for regular school but that's totally up to you. Sounds like you are a great mom!

Yes, his only issue is verbal apraxia (some have global apraxia where it affects motor planning of the limbs as well as speech). It does not affect his cognition or anything else. Being his mother, I like to believe he's rather smart:D

It's rare, and even more rare that it occurs by itself. It usually presents with something else such as down syndrome, autism, or global apraxia which he definitely doesn't have. Time will tell if it affects reading or he has dyslexia.

I'm honestly kind of surprised more parents and educators don't teach speech delayed kids how to sign past the basics of more, help and eat. He qualified for special ed preschool and when I asked about signing I was told the don't teach it and with the exception of basic baby signs, the teachers don't know it. Needless to say he won't be going there. We're homeschoolers anyway so we have just continued with that.
That's b/c most kids classfied as speech delay tend to have the speech delays as part of things like intellectucal disabilty and learning disabilty....and indeed most of the students enrolled in sped intervention preschools tend to have ID and autism and other things like that....Look into deaf/HOH preschool maybe? It's not exactly unheard of for kids with pure expressive spoken issues to be enrolled at schools for the Deaf to learn ASL......Just a word of advice.... go with the philosophy that " It takes a village" Homeschooling ROCKS, but when you're talking special needs....it does indeed take a village! Be open to all kinds of intervention etc... My "ex"s mom who is a 'terp has said that if her girls had been dhh, they would have been enrolled at their State School for the Deaf.....and this is a woman who is a hardcore unschooler!

That's b/c most kids classfied as speech delay tend to have the speech delays as part of things like intellectucal disabilty and learning disabilty....and indeed most of the students enrolled in sped intervention preschools tend to have ID and autism and other things like that....Look into deaf/HOH preschool maybe? It's not exactly unheard of for kids with pure expressive spoken issues to be enrolled at schools for the Deaf to learn ASL......Just a word of advice.... go with the philosophy that " It takes a village" Homeschooling ROCKS, but when you're talking special needs....it does indeed take a village! Be open to all kinds of intervention etc... My "ex"s mom who is a 'terp has said that if her girls had been dhh, they would have been enrolled at their State School for the Deaf.....and this is a woman who is a hardcore unschooler!

Doesn't work that way here. There are programs in place for students with apraxia of speech, and speech language pathologists who are equipped to deal with it.

No idea why this parent wouldn't want to have her child in a program if apraxia is indeed part of his diagnosis.

We have looked into the one Deaf school here. There is another one 2 hours away. If it was a PERFECT match, we would consider moving. Well I shouldn't say I've looked into it, I've read about it online but with it being summer, I haven't received any info back as to whether they will even consider accepting a hearing child. I don't have high hopes that they will accept him and it may not even be the right environment for him

While it's a nice thought that schools are set up already to handle apraxia with qualified SLP, that hasn't been our experience. Most SLP will not ever see a case of CAS in their entire career. The one he sees now is near retirement and has never seen a case before Oliver, and likely will never see another one again. The two classrooms he could have attended for special needs preschool were either ones with severe autism and down syndrome, or behavioral needs. He's neither and after observing the class structure would not be a good fit for him. We are not ruling out seeing THE apraxia expert near Detroit to get a diagnosis one way or the other. Apraxia therapy looks very different from that of traditional speech therapy. Having the diagnosis will open up a lot of possibilities for him, or likewise, definitively ruling it out will lead us in a new direction.

I don't know the statistics but I do know of quite a few speech delayed kids. Few have cognitive delays, or if they do, are still able to learn signs. Actually, the one deaf person I know IRL, is a child with multiple disabilities including mental delays. Naturally, she signs very well. Presume comptenece as they say:D

Back