No More 'Booty' In The Bible

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Catholic Bishops Drop Word From New Version Of Old Testament

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- In the Bible, you probably never thought you would read the word "booty," but the word is written in the holy book many times and means treasure or plunder.

But these days the word is usually used to mean something else. That other meaning has caused the Catholic Church to remove the word from the New American Catholic Bible.

Monsignor Daniel Logan at Our Lady Of The Sea Parish said the church is also changing virgin to young woman because they feel virgin is misleading.

Video: Booty Removed From Bible

Changing words in the Bible is not new. The monsignor said years ago they changed the word holocaust to burnt offering when the word took on a whole new connotation during World War II.

No More 'Booty' In The Bible - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

Reba....seems like I remember something in Revelations about what God would do if one word of The Word of God was change. Am I right?

Wirelessly posted

rolling7 said:
Reba....seems like I remember something in Revelations about what God would do if one word of The Word of God was change. Am I right?

Then learn Greek, Hebrew and Aramic. Why do you need to rely on shoddy English?

Wirelessly posted

Do you mean generation after generation of Christians have been misled via translation of the Bible into other languages?
i too have read the revelation crap and i know for a fact some verses have been taken out of Bibles during revisions. well God help us.

"Booty" makes me think of the Pirates...(treasure)....Now-a-days, it's quite a different meaning...."shake that booty"...or "booty call!"....

I never knew "booty" was in the Bible to begin with!...why they are changing the word "virgin", I have no idea....

It does raise the question on how authenic the Bible really is. How many times has it changed in all those years.

Do you mean Revelation 22?

"18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: 19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

"Booty" makes me think of the Pirates...(treasure)....Now-a-days, it's quite a different meaning...."shake that booty"...or "booty call!"....
It's silly to change perfectly fine English words just to fit pop culture.

I never knew "booty" was in the Bible to begin with!...why they are changing the word "virgin", I have no idea....
Other translators and paraphrasers have removed the word virgin from their versions. The reason was to try to downplay the deity of Christ by making it seem that there was nothing miraculous about His birth.

There was a really famous bible translation in the middle ages that came to be known as "The Buggy Bible" which had really erroneous translations.

There was a really famous bible translation in the middle ages that came to be known as "The Buggy Bible" which had really erroneous translations.

Much like the 'Ebonics Bible'?

I haven't heard of that one, and I just have vague memories of my father telling me about the 'Buggy Bible'.

The 'Ebonics' Bible is a translation used by some black churches in which they speak a dialect of English known as 'Ebonics'. It is marked by the use of 'be' in the place of 'am' and 'is' in the place of 'are'. In other words if I said I was fat, in Ebonics one would say "I be thick". It is a recognized dialect of English used primarily in the black community in the deep south and parts of large northern cities where gangs often run neighborhoods.

You can get information on Ebonics here:
Ebonics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

African American Vernacular English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wirelessly posted

Choose any bible in any language you want....the words of Revelation still come out as a warning if anything is changed (see: Reba's chapter/verse)

Back