News Video clip on CNN.com about CI's

Does Lilly hear at 20db across the frequency range? I had a soundbooth test two days ago with my CI on and I ranged from 20db to 40db but mostly at 30db. I'm happy with that result for 5 months on.

I also had a hearing test in the implanted ear without the CI and could not hear anything except for very high frequency sounds.

Yes, 20 db over all ranges! She hears better than I do. Now the nonimplanted ear is a different story. As said before, she is gettign other ear implanted. When her CI was not working, and she was only wearing her HA. SHe could not hear a thing. I was behind her yelling as loud as I could (with HA on), and she never heard any of it.

Lilysdad, not denying that your daughter can hear really well with the CI, but it might have more to do with speechreading abilities and the fact that most parents/instructors of dhh kids tend to speak in a "professional speaker" voice.
Like I can "hear"/"speechread" my dad really well, even thou he's got a beard and mustasche, b/c of the way he talks. Also I remember when I went to school and camp and all that, my peers would automaticly know to speak with me that way. I remember coming back, and having to "retrain" them in how to talk to me.
We have not really exposed her to kids that are sign only
That's b/c only a small percentage of dhh(some hh kids Sign due to secondary things like apraxia or tracheostomies) kids Sign only. I think it's only about 1%. Most are oral or TCers. If I recall correctly most orally educated kids (including lots of auditory verbalized kids) do pick up Sign as a second language which is good. I mean, isn't it true that it's not uncommon to see 'terps being used at AG Bell conferences? (AG Bell must be rolling over in his grave....LOL) The debate nowadays is really over which language should be first. I have noticed that there are a lot more parents who are being more openminded as to Sign as an option. That is they don't reject sign.....matter of fact a lot of the younger parents probaly think that Sign is a pretty cool option. I have noticed that the oral b/c it's "healthy normal" mentality tends to be mostly seen in families that hyperprogram and overschdule their kids. Like the type of family where it's expected you'll get into a Brand Name University. Like the type of families that only want "perfect" designer kids.
There's another plus to exposing Lily to sign......one thing that a lot of the oral experts tend to play down is the fact that oral skills don't automaticly translate into better sucess in the hearing world.
It's wicked hard for us to hear and talk. Even those of us who are oral sucesses, often find it very energy draining to hear and speak.
We put energy into that, that we could put into CONTENT.
It's exactly like how you might be able to speak a forigen language decently, but you could really acheive (eg read college level stuff) in the language that's most nautral to you.
I really think that a HUGE part of the reason why acheivement hasn't risen for dhh (and other classicly disabled) kids, is that they really haven't historically been given the full toolbox option. They've been educated under the "try to get them functioning like a "healthy normal" school of thinking. That school of thinking is that "speshal aids" are a "crutch"
But maybe, those tools are the ones that will enable kids with classic disablities to suceed! :eek2:

Like, for years and years, they made me manually write. I have mild hypotonia, so it's difficult for me to handwrite. I spent all my energy working on trying to write the letters .....then I started taking typing classes, and I suddenly started doing a lot better. Finally I could concentrate on putting out content! In the old days I never wrote for fun.....Now, I'm a published PAID writer.

Me too.

There is no phrase I hate worse than "Never mind." :roll:

Hey on the bright side with my CI that rarely happens anymore. Is the Ci perfect? no but it sure does beat the un-understandable crap that came through the HA's. Still don't see how people who have profound losses (mine was in the lower servere range) can think they benefit well from a CI. To each their own I guess.

Hey on the bright side with my CI that rarely happens anymore. Is the Ci perfect? no but it sure does beat the un-understandable crap that came through the HA's. Still don't see how people who have profound losses (mine was in the lower servere range) can think they benefit well from a CI. To each their own I guess.

Perhaps it's because the HA amps up the sound and sends it to a damaged organ? Sound will be distorted as a result.

It's my understanding that CIs pick up sound via microphones and bypasses the damaged cochlea and sends it directly to the auditory nerve. I've heard that it makes sounds much clearer than than it would via a HA for this reason. Hence why it would benefit a profoundly deaf person like myself.

Learning to understand speech is quite another matter but that has to do with the Implante's history. Yes, I'm prelingually deaf but I already have good speech even if I don't quite sound hearing. I also have some understanding of speech so it's not like I've never heard speech before. I think the outcome would be quite different for a deafie who never heard speech before.

Last edited:
Perhaps it's because the HA amps up the sound and sends it to a damaged organ? Sound will be distorted as a result.

It's my understanding that CIs pick up sound via microphones and bypasses the damaged cochlea and sends it directly to the auditory nerve. I've heard that it makes sounds much clearer than than it would via a HA for this reason. Hence why it would benefit a profoundly deaf person like myself.

Yep, that is correct. I remember toward the last two years or so before my CI that I wanted clarity not loudness. It wasn't bad but I was missing certain cues in listening to the enuciation of spoken English.

Learning to understand speech is quite another matter but that has to do with the Implante's history. Yes, I'm prelingually deaf but I already have good speech even if I don't quite sound hearing. I also have some understanding of speech so it's not like I've never heard speech before. I think the outcome would be quite different for a deafie who never heard speech before.

Quite correct. There is a world of difference for somebody who gotten some speech (both speaking and listening) than somebody who didn't do so.

Tadoma and Cued Speech

We are a firm belielver in the method you talked about, placing her hand on my throat and so on. Before you said the name of this type of learning, I had neer heard it. To teach Lilly how to make a specific sound,I do as you described. I place Lillys hand on my throat, mouth, cheek or whatever works to (what we call) "feel the sound". We also use a small hand held mirror so she can see the sound as she makes it. We keep the mirror handy so we can use it during play.
The Tadoma method was invented by American teacher Sophie Alcorn and developed at the Perkins School for the Blind in Massachusetts. It is named after the first two children to whom it was taught: Winthrop "Tad" Chapman and Oma Simpson.
I came to the conclusion that this would become a problem down the road. Afterall, the sign I had been teaching her was english based. I had been teaching her SEE or contact english and not even realized it. Since her communication is speech, english based, I decided SEE based would be best. So that is what we are doing. I see no problem with TC.
SEE (Signing Exact English) or MCE (Manually Coded English) is nice, because it shows a person the communicated mesage, just like Englih writing, and it allows a person to begin learning ASL very quickly, since the signs are borrowed from ASL. For example, the signed sentance, in ASL "How help" is signed, "How may I help you?" The differances are, only the first half of the sign for "how" is signed, and the other half flows into the word help. In Signed English, the sign for how is comple. The sign for "may" is the ASL sign for "can" initilized with the letter "M". The sign for "I" is the ASL sign for "me" initilized with the letter "I". The sign for help is complete. The sign for you (informal) is either a 1-handshape pointed away from the signer, towards the viewer, or (formal) a B-hanshape, palm up, pointed towards the viewer, starting pointing the fingers at the top of the viewer's head, and then the hand moves down, until the fingers point below the viewer's waist. The sign for "?" is a 1-handshape, drawing a question mark in the air, with the eyebrows tilted, to express a question. If Lilly is exposed to Deaf people who sign ASL, and she signs SEE, she can learn ASL rather quickly.

However, Signed English doesn't show a person how to speak the words. You may want to consider Cued Speech, as Cued speech uses 8 handshapes (a 1-handshape, a U-handshape, a handshape made like a U-handshape with three fingers instead of two, a B-handshape, an open palm handshape, an L-handshape, an L-handshape, a handshape with the index and middle finger forming a U-handshape and the index and thumb forming an L-handshape, and a V-handshape), placed in 4 locations (lip, chin, throat, to the side of the face ). Cued Speech teaches speach so much easier than Tadoma. You can always cue, but you can't always use Tadoma. For example, I was speaking/signing with with one of my Hard-of-Hearing friends on the videophone, the other day. He signed "drag", but he said "drage." I tried to explain, it sounds like "bag". He said "bage". I explained, "No, like tag." He said, "take". I got a witeboard and drew which part of the word to stress, but I gave up after ten minutes. I signed, "Ok, when I come to your home, I'll show you." When we used Tadoma, he got it quickly, and I signed, "Pah!" (Pah! is an ASL expression meaning "finally" or "it's over" or "finished". To sign "Pah!" point both hands, in a 1-handshape, palm facing the signer, at the corners of the mouth, and then both hands rise and rotate, until the hands are over the head, and the palms face the viewer.) I signed, "If you know Cued Speech, you could learn how to speak any word– fast!" (The ASL sign for Cued Speech is a B-handshape, over the mouth, palm facing the signer, and then with the palm still facing the signer, the hand makes a circle by moving down by chin, down towards the throat, up towards the side of the face and back to the mouth.) He groaned, "Yeah..."

I actually think that ASL and Cued speech can wait til Lily's a little older.
Maybe introduce Cued speech for when Lily goes to kindergarten. Cued speech is awesome, but it tends to be best used as an academic tool, to help teach phonetics, not really as a communication system. If Lily wasn't getting a lot of benifit from her CI, I'd reccomend it. I definitly would start learning ASL, and exposing her to ASL....she may need a 'terp in class, and ASL 'terps are more common then SEE 'terps.

Does Lilly hear at 20db across the frequency range? I had a soundbooth test two days ago with my CI on and I ranged from 20db to 40db but mostly at 30db. I'm happy with that result for 5 months on.

I also had a hearing test in the implanted ear without the CI and could not hear anything except for very high frequency sounds.

R2,

It sounds like you retained some residual hearing following your CI surgery. I know two other people who also had residual hearing after their surgery. One of them could hear the dial tone on their amplified phone and the other could hear and understand someone if they spoke directly into her implanted ear (without CI).

I lost all of my residual hearing after both surgeries -- not that I mind. What I've gained with my CIs is *so* much better compared to the little residual hearing I had prior to implantation! :)

R2,

It sounds like you retained some residual hearing following your CI surgery. I know two other people who also had residual hearing after their surgery. One of them could hear the dial tone on their amplified phone and the other could hear and understand someone if they spoke directly into her implanted ear (without CI).

What I'm not sure of if anybody retains it in the long term. It is the nature of the beast why I say that given how a CI is implanted in the cochlea.

Like you, I didn't have any after my surgery either.

Back