News Video clip on CNN.com about CI's

...however, I do believe that a person with a CI should still socialize with Deaf people and be involved in Deaf community. Even if that person with a CI has perfect speech and can understand dialogue, that person should still be involved with the Deaf community, have Deaf friends, sign ASL, etc. After all, if you take off the processor, you're still deaf!...

Ummm...nice sentiment but not always practical and not always possible either. I'm seldom ever without my CI on and when it is off it is for temporary reasons such as changing batteries, taking a shower, going to bed, and etc. I'm quite aware that I'm deaf without my CI on... ;) As far as using ASL or being involved in the deaf community, that isn't a practical option for me.

srssoars.........i think tariq meant that kids with implants should have the tools possible to function both with and without them. i know its hard for mostly mainstreamed oral adults to break into the deaf world, but by equipting kids, then they won't have that probelm

srssoars.........i think tariq meant that kids with implants should have the tools possible to function both with and without them. i know its hard for mostly mainstreamed oral adults to break into the deaf world, but by equipting kids, then they won't have that probelm

Oops...sorry...I can agree with that for kids but I still say that it is not always an easy thing to do. I guess it depends on where one is and the availability of a deaf community nearby. ASL is meant to be used not practiced...if you know what I mean.

New Deaf Adults

Ummm...nice sentiment but not always practical and not always possible either.... As far as using ASL or being involved in the deaf community, that isn't a practical option for me.
Why not? Do you live in an area where a Deaf community doesn't exist, or do you simply not have the time or otherwise?
Actually, my name should be spelled Tariq, but when I was born, Taric got on my birth certificate. :) Also, in response to your post...
Oops...sorry...I can agree with that for kids but I still say that it is not always an easy thing to do. I guess it depends on where one is and the availability of a deaf community nearby.
To give you an example, there was a man in his 50s named Steve, who lived in Chicago. My friend met him, and he signed very, slowly. "My name S-T-E-V-E." My friend asked him, "Why do you want to know Deaf people?" Steve replied that he himself had suddenly become deaf at 50 and decided that he should know other deaf people.

As for myself, I was raised Hearing, but I found it very easy to become involved in Deaf community. There is WSAD (Western Suburban Association of the Deaf), in the west suburbs of Chicago, CCD (Chicago Club of the Deaf), in Chicago, and WCRAD (Windy City Rainbow Association of the Deaf), also in Chicago. Also, most of those meetings are geared towards adults, not children. WSAD and CCD are both nearby or in bars, and WCRAD is an LGBTQQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual, Queer and Questioning) association. In conclusion, in my experiance, at least in the suburbs or the city of Chicago, the Deaf community is more geared towards accepting new adults, than children.
ASL is meant to be used not practiced...if you know what I mean.
I'm sorry. Could you clarify? Do you mean that ASL is supposed to be used in certian situations or otherwise?

STUPID!

You need to give the baby a form a visual communication. If you want the baby to grow up in the Hearing world, fine, but teach the baby something. Don't depend on the cochlear implants for everything. What if his auditory nerve goes bad. Are you gonna' give him an auditory brainstem implant and depend on that? STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! If the baby takes off the processor, he's still a deaf child.

The baby should learn some form of visual communication, such as ASL, SEE, or Cued Speech. If they want the baby to grow up in the Hearing world, fine, teach him Cued Speech, and let him socalize with Deaf people to learn ASL and have a second language. He can teach them Cued Speech, and he can learn ASL. Give him an identity. Don't let him become some sort of synthetic Hearing person!

Tariq, First off, Welcome to AD. We have not yet met.
Secondly, While I agree with you opinion. I take exception to your tone.
First off, I am HEARING, not a "heafie". I also do not think it is appropriate to call people here, or thier opinions "stupid". If you disagree with statements, fine, do not get insultive.
As far as a hearing parent exposing a CI kid to deaf culture, it is not as easy as you may think. I have tried, and still do, but the deaf culture can be very resistant to that. I have had a very hard time being welcomed into deaf culture. Rude comments here and other pages implying that I am cruel, ignorant and do not care about what is best for my child. This coming from someone who knows nothing about my child except the fact that she is deaf and has a CI. I can talk/argue about this for hours, days infact. As far as my attitude pushing away deaf people, I dont think so, and the few here that have met me (I hope) will come forward to support me. I am very open to deaf culture. The one thing I do not tolerate however, is ignorance and stereotyping.
As I said in the beginning of my post. I agree with you opinion, but not your delivery style. I do not have negative feelings about deaf people, so I do not refer to them/ you by any other name. There for, I do not appreciate being referred to in any other way than "hearing".
I am hearing and my daughter is deaf. Lilly has a CI and is doing incredibly well with speech and hearing. In fact, she hears better than I do when her CI is on. Some in the hearing world disagree with me because I am learning (and teaching Lilly) sign language.
In fact, with my work, I have recently met a HOH 13 year old boy with a moderate hearing loss that wears hearing aids. I asked him if he knows sign language. He initially laughed and said "No, why would I need to learn that". I overlooked that comment. A few days later, he asked me why I wondered if he knew sign. After explaining my situation to him, he became very interested in my daughter and why I am teaching her sign. At the end of the conversation, he asked me for a few webpages where he could start to learn a little sign. He knew nothing about deaf culture at all. I informed him of deaf clubs and the like.
I felt he should be made aware of alot of things. But it is not my place to force my opinions on him. I leftit up to him. When he wanted more info, he came to me. I did not force my opinion on him, and certainly did not call his opinion "Stupid".
Sorry if I strayed a little off course.

Why not? Do you live in an area where a Deaf community doesn't exist, or do you simply not have the time or otherwise?

All of the above. Mostly, it is because I don't have the time...I'm rather busy raising a family and I do very well in the hearing world. Maybe I'll deal with that one day after the kids are mostly grown.

To give you an example, there was a man in his 50s named Steve, who lived in Chicago. My friend met him, and he signed very, slowly. "My name S-T-E-V-E." My friend asked him, "Why do you want to know Deaf people?" Steve replied that he himself had suddenly become deaf at 50 and decided that he should know other deaf people.

I've been HOH all my life and my CI made it a "permanent" thing (of being deaf) if you will. I just haven't ever felt obligated to get involved with the deaf community (using sign) thus far. As I said before, maybe that will come later on.

Could you clarify? Do you mean that ASL is supposed to be used in certian situations or otherwise?

No, I meant that one needs to use ASL alot if not all the time to be good at it. Just practicing it from time to time doesn't do it unless one is good at that sort of thing (like a linguist). A better way to put that is that one needs to use it or lose it (which is true of any language).

I wouldn't mind about children to get CI or dual CI but I found out that dual CI is work so well, easier to developing the oral language when they are toddlers (around under 6 years old).

I miss Audiofuzzy and she haven't post at most time because she's good to explain about oral language and she explained to me via PM.

For deaf parent, it supposed to up to their children for get CI or even dual CI but hearing parents are more opening mind and most deaf parents refuse to let children to get CI then how is pathetic. If children get no benefit with HA then CI is optional for them but when they are become adult then they can get CI and none of parent's business about give an shit.

Tariq, First off, Welcome to AD. We have not yet met.
Secondly, While I agree with you opinion. I take exception to your tone.
First off, I am HEARING, not a "heafie". I also do not think it is appropriate to call people here, or thier opinions "stupid". If you disagree with statements, fine, do not get insultive. As far as a hearing parent exposing a CI kid to deaf culture, it is not as easy as you may think. I have tried, and still do, but the deaf culture can be very resistant to that. I have had a very hard time being welcomed into deaf culture. Rude comments here and other pages implying that I am cruel, ignorant and do not care about what is best for my child. This coming from someone who knows nothing about my child except the fact that she is deaf and has a CI. I can talk/argue about this for hours, days infact. As far as my attitude pushing away deaf people, I dont think so, and the few here that have met me (I hope) will come forward to support me. I am very open to deaf culture. The one thing I do not tolerate however, is ignorance and stereotyping.As I said in the beginning of my post. I agree with you opinion, but not your delivery style. I do not have negative feelings about deaf people, so I do not refer to them/ you by any other name. There for, I do not appreciate being referred to in any other way than "hearing".
I am hearing and my daughter is deaf. Lilly has a CI and is doing incredibly well with speech and hearing. In fact, she hears better than I do when her CI is on. Some in the hearing world disagree with me because I am learning (and teaching Lilly) sign language.
In fact, with my work, I have recently met a HOH 13 year old boy with a moderate hearing loss that wears hearing aids. I asked him if he knows sign language. He initially laughed and said "No, why would I need to learn that". I overlooked that comment. A few days later, he asked me why I wondered if he knew sign. After explaining my situation to him, he became very interested in my daughter and why I am teaching her sign. At the end of the conversation, he asked me for a few webpages where he could start to learn a little sign. He knew nothing about deaf culture at all. I informed him of deaf clubs and the like.
I felt he should be made aware of alot of things. But it is not my place to force my opinions on him. I leftit up to him. When he wanted more info, he came to me. I did not force my opinion on him, and certainly did not call his opinion "Stupid".
Sorry if I strayed a little off course.

Tariq, I have met Lillys dad and find him to be a great guy who loves his daughter and I fully support him in what he has to say. This is no place to call other people's opinions STUPID -- you can find better and softer wording for that. In other words, there are posters on this forum that have "agreed to disagree" without ending up in silly and non-constructive arguments.

I am a deaf grandmother, first generation deaf with two deaf adults and one deaf grandson (who got a CI last summer and is doing well) and two hoh granddaughters.

All of the above. Mostly, it is because I don't have the time...I'm rather busy raising a family and I do very well in the hearing world. Maybe I'll deal with that one day after the kids are mostly grown.

I've been HOH all my life and my CI made it a "permanent" thing (of being deaf) if you will. I just haven't ever felt obligated to get involved with the deaf community (using sign) thus far. As I said before, maybe that will come later on.

No, I meant that one needs to use ASL alot if not all the time to be good at it. Just practicing it from time to time doesn't do it unless one is good at that sort of thing (like a linguist). A better way to put that is that one needs to use it or lose it (which is true of any language).

It takes all kinds to make the world go round -- I am deaf and have seen all kinds of Deaf, deaf, hoh, "hearing" and Soars has the right to choose his way of life. Deaf communities is NOT everywhere... The sole deaf, Deaf, hoh, etc. should be able to determine his/her lifestyle.

Also, I totally agree with Soars on ASL -- he does not need to use ASL in his life so therefore why should he know it?

I totally agree with you, the doctor was even saying that they dont even know that he can hear any sort of actual speech or that he can make sense of anything or that hes really even responding at all.

My mother always used to say 'dont put all your eggs in one basket' and I think thats what this woman is doing. Shes putting sole responsibility on the CI. I think CIs are an amazing tool, and that we should in every way embrace whatever new technology to improve the quality of life that we can. But I also believe that we are a world that is becoming so dependant on other people and technological devices to allow us to communicate.

I think that she should be hopeful that the CI will work, but since he is young right now, and has every opportunity to both learn sign language and possibly hear to some extent I think both aspects should be focused on. Equally.

It sounded to me like the mother was just really distraught when she found out her son was deaf, and that rather reluctantly she was learning sign language because she saw it as a last resort or her only option. But now that with the CI, her son is showing signs of possibly being able to hear some sort of sound she has just given up at all on allowing him to experience the amazing world of sign language.

Hes just at such a young age that he needs to be learning certain things such as whats allowed and what isnt, this is the age that parents start teaching their children a little bit of what is expected from them. And if you give up on the ability to communicate effectivly with you child, for the ability for your child to just be able to hear I think you have your priorities wrong. Its just like how that book Deaf like me really rubbed me wrong at first. The parents were focusing so much on their daughter to be able to hear, that they totally lost focus of being able to communicate yes and no with her, or any sort of discipline or vital information.

I think thats where it starts to cross the line, when youre so desperate for a child to be 'normal' to be able to hear, that you forget that your first duty is to be a parent and have whatever form of communication possible with the child, because first and foremost you have to teach your child right from wrong.

sorry thats my little rant. :aw:

Oh DONT apologize!!! I grew up trying to be "normal" due to all the expectations from me being able to speak well and read lips well. NO MATTER how well I could communicate with hearing people, I AM STILL DEAF!

I hate that title that CNN created "Deaf No More". CNN makes it seem like being deaf is so awful. CNN can kiss my ass!

I agree that CNN's title was a sucky one. I'll never be "hearing" even with the CI. I hope the hearing and d/Deaf won't get the impression that I'll become hearing with the implant.

I've been reading the CI brochures and stuff and it bothers me that they seem to imply you'll become hearing again.

I agree that CNN's title was a sucky one. I'll never be "hearing" even with the CI. I hope the hearing and d/Deaf won't get the impression that I'll become hearing with the implant.

I've been reading the CI brochures and stuff and it bothers me that they seem to imply you'll become hearing again.

Yea I can relate but u understand that fully so I wouldnt worry about other deaf and hearing people who get that impression. U are able to speak for yourself and correct them. I just get upset when the parents take that CI will make their kids "hearing" and the kids suffer trying to rise to that pedestal that their parents place them on.

:werd: I agree. As I said in an earlier post today, Lillys CI quit working today. I found this out while at work. I made a comment to a coworker about her CI not working, he made the comment "Well I guess you cannot take her tothe park like you planned" :crazy: my response, "Shes deaf, not paralyzed, just because she can't hear, it doesn't mean she can't play in the park."
He realized that he said something stupid and apologized.
I put my daughter on a pedastal because she is my daughter, not because she is deaf, or because she has a CI. She is my little princess and I let her know it everyday!

:werd: I agree. As I said in an earlier post today, Lillys CI quit working today. I found this out while at work. I made a comment to a coworker about her CI not working, he made the comment "Well I guess you cannot take her tothe park like you planned" :crazy: my response, "Shes deaf, not paralyzed, just because she can't hear, it doesn't mean she can't play in the park."
He realized that he said something stupid and apologized.
I put my daughter on a pedastal because she is my daughter, not because she is deaf, or because she has a CI. She is my little princess and I let her know it everyday!

Then u put her on a pedestel for the right reasons! I am talking about the parents who put their deaf children on a pedestel to become "hearing". I cant tell u the number of times I had speech therapists, teachers, and other adults always correcting my speech and as a result, I became so paranoid about making pronouncion errors. I had to practice saying the word "Philadelphia" so many times on my own before I would say it to other people. What a total waste of my time! If I couldnt talk "normally" why couldnt they accept that it is cuz I am deaf? I grew up with so much emphasis on my speech skills and I lost who I was. Finally, I found myself and screw those if they think my speech is not perfect!

This video just brought back unpleasant memories cuz of the title and the reaction of the mother. It just wants to make me :barf:

Why not? Do you live in an area where a Deaf community doesn't exist, or do you simply not have the time or otherwise?Actually, my name should be spelled Tariq, but when I was born, Taric got on my birth certificate. :) Also, in response to your post...To give you an example, there was a man in his 50s named Steve, who lived in Chicago. My friend met him, and he signed very, slowly. "My name S-T-E-V-E." My friend asked him, "Why do you want to know Deaf people?" Steve replied that he himself had suddenly become deaf at 50 and decided that he should know other deaf people.

As for myself, I was raised Hearing, but I found it very easy to become involved in Deaf community. There is WSAD (Western Suburban Association of the Deaf), in the west suburbs of Chicago, CCD (Chicago Club of the Deaf), in Chicago, and WCRAD (Windy City Rainbow Association of the Deaf), also in Chicago. Also, most of those meetings are geared towards adults, not children. WSAD and CCD are both nearby or in bars, and WCRAD is an LGBTQQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual, Queer and Questioning) association. In conclusion, in my experiance, at least in the suburbs or the city of Chicago, the Deaf community is more geared towards accepting new adults, than children.I'm sorry. Could you clarify? Do you mean that ASL is supposed to be used in certian situations or otherwise?

Oh, CNN made mistake and it was from people that who give information about their son.

I understood where you were coming from with the pedestal remark. As far as the constant correction is concerned, I agree with th philosophy of the speech correction. I just cannot justify the execution of it. I actually like the way Lilly pronounces things. Her latest fascination is the Disney movie Cars. She has to watch it every day on DVD. SH elooks at me, signs drive or car, and says CAW MOO-BEE!. How can I correct that! The other one is YEYYOW instead of yellow. Hearign kids are allowed to mispronounce words, so why can't Lilly? Like hearing kids, I am confident the speech will correct itself over time. Of course with some speech therapy, just not too much. She is afterall a kid. I feel it is importnat to not rob her of her childhood while working on hearing and speech.

I have tried, and still do, but the deaf culture can be very resistant to that. I have had a very hard time being welcomed into deaf culture. Rude comments here and other pages implying that I am cruel, ignorant and do not care about what is best for my child.
Liliydad, YOU and Lilysmom are AWESOME awesome parents. I really think that most of the reaction that you experianced comes from the Deaf seperatist types or the Deaf folks who deal with hearing parents who just want their kids to be as "hearing" or as nondisabled/ healthy normal as possible. I think if you were in a different area you'd find it easier to break into Deaf culture. I really think that the St. Louis area isn't exactly welcoming to hearing parents. You really have to look at it from their POV.....you know the expression "once bitten twice shy?" A lot of the St. L deafies were probaly themselves products of the system. Their attitude probloy comes from frustration that the cycle is being repeated again. They see the parents pushing for oral only......Yes, there are parents who want their kids to simply develop oral skills.......but it does seem like the majority of parents who are pro oral education, simply want a "healthy normal" kid.
Maybe a good idear might be to join Hands and Voices and American Society for Deaf Children. Maybe even NAD......they have a Parents Section. You could write articles and things from the perspective of a parent who wants their dhh kid to have a FULL toolbox. I really think that could drasticly influence Deaf seperatist thinking!
Maybe even start a local organization where parents who want their orally educated dhh kids to also learn sign, could meet and interact with the Deaf community. The Deaf community really needs to understand that not ALL parents who are pushing for an oral education, are the type who just want a "healthy normal" kid. There will always be some dumbass separtist idoits, but I really do think that most Deafies would be OK with oral education, if they understood that the parents are simply trying to do a full toolbox thing.
As far as the constant correction is concerned, I agree with th philosophy of the speech correction. I just cannot justify the execution of it. I actually like . Hearign kids are allowed to mispronounce words, so why can't Lilly? Like hearing kids, I am confident the speech will correct itself over time. Of course with some speech therapy, just not too much. She is afterall a kid. I feel it is importnat to not rob her of her childhood while working on hearing and speech.
WOW!!! Finally a parent who actually understands what a lot of us have been saying....... One of the many reasons why I am anti oral only is b/c it puts such a focus on therapy, therapy therapy 24/7, as well as constant correction. How the heck can someone develop good self esteem when they are constantly being corrected on speech? I was constantly corrected, and trust me...........I have the worst self esteem ever. A lot of the dhh oral kids I know, are very shy and not really social b/c of this.
I'm so psyched you understand the importance of not going overboard with the speech and langauge therapy. A lot of kids I know, just remember their childhood as being FILLED with therapy, therapy 24/7. They don't remember just relaxing and having fun and being themselves.....their entire childhood was just a flashcard and going boo be bah at auditory verbal therapy.

WOW!!! Finally a parent who actually understands what a lot of us have been saying....... One of the many reasons why I am anti oral only is b/c it puts such a focus on therapy, therapy therapy 24/7, as well as constant correction. How the heck can someone develop good self esteem when they are constantly being corrected on speech? I was constantly corrected, and trust me...........I have the worst self esteem ever. A lot of the dhh oral kids I know, are very shy and not really social b/c of this.
I'm so psyched you understand the importance of not going overboard with the speech and langauge therapy. A lot of kids I know, just remember their childhood as being FILLED with therapy, therapy 24/7. They don't remember just relaxing and having fun and being themselves.....their entire childhood was just a flashcard and going boo be bah at auditory verbal therapy.

Yea, it was great reading that from Lillysdad. If only more parents were like you. The parents that I meet from my school are so worried and almost obsessive about their deaf child having the speech skills equivalent to hearing children.

My childhood is almost just as u described. Too much time focused on speech therapy. :barf:

Back