New :)

Bigsister1

Reaction score
Hello everyone, :wave:

This is my first time starting a chat and I am excited to be part of this group!
I have a great appreciation for the Deaf community and I started taking ASL classes.

My younger brother is Deaf and is now attending the School for the Deaf. He started to learn ASL late in life and so have I. I hope that with him in school surrounded by students who sign to him will have him learn ASL quickly. He is 20 years old and do you all think he will learn ASL fluently? or myself? I really want to become fluent in ASL to be able to communicate with my brother better. I would love some advice.

Thank you for reading my note.
I hope to start some good conversations here.

I really don't think anyone can tell you if your and brother will learn to use ASL fluently. This up to the both of you , it really depend how much time and you put into this. You could take a ASL class and practice with your brother and family .

If you want to learn any language fluently, then you must immerse yourself fully in both the language and the culture. You can not simply learn the signs for a set of words and then go about your day speaking and expect to become fluent. Try using ASL in everything that you do. Fingerspell to yourself at every opportunity. And most importantly, become a member of the deaf community by participating in deaf only activities WITHOUT SPEAKING. If you and your brother are communicating, incorporate ASL into your communication, including proper grammar and facial markers.

Good luck,
Michael

I really don't think anyone can tell you if your and brother will learn to use ASL fluently. This up to the both of you , it really depend how much time and you put into this. You could take a ASL class and practice with your brother and family .

Thank you for your response!!! I was beginning to think that no one loved me...

What makes my situation unusual, is my brother has only been in this country for the past year. And the language he is most familiar with is Portuguese, as he lived in Brazil. He is learning ASL as he is also learning to understand English a little bit and he only has one more year of schooling. I am currently taking ASL classes and we do practice most nights on Facetime. Our problem is that once he reaches 21 he is out of the public school system. With only one more year of schooling, what would you suggest to be the best option ... concentrating on sign language, concentrating on learning English, or learning a vocational skill as he loves carpentry and auto mechanics.

Thanks again for your reply.

If you want to learn any language fluently, then you must immerse yourself fully in both the language and the culture. You can not simply learn the signs for a set of words and then go about your day speaking and expect to become fluent. Try using ASL in everything that you do. Fingerspell to yourself at every opportunity. And most importantly, become a member of the deaf community by participating in deaf only activities WITHOUT SPEAKING. If you and your brother are communicating, incorporate ASL into your communication, including proper grammar and facial markers.

Good luck,
Michael

Hi Michael,

I really appreciate and agree with your response. Thank you for your insight. What got you involved with the Deaf community? and are you fluent in ASL?

What makes my situation unusual, is my brother has only been in this country for the past year. And the language he is most familiar with is Portuguese, as he lived in Brazil. He is learning ASL as he is also learning to understand English a little bit and he only has one more year of schooling. I am currently taking ASL classes and we do practice most nights on Facetime. Our problem is that once he reaches 21 he is out of the public school system. With only one more year of schooling, what would you suggest to be the best option ... concentrating on sign language, concentrating on learning English, or learning a vocational skill as he loves carpentry and auto mechanics.

Ohhhhhhhh..... That makes a lot of sense! Is he at Lexington School for the Deaf in NYC? If he's not currently there, I would contact them as they have an English as a Second Language program for immigrants.http://www.lexnyc.org/ Also, contact The Learning Center for Deaf Children in MA, as they are familiar with Portuguese Deaf students. (Framingham has a huge Brazillian population) http://www.tlcdeaf.org/
I would concentrate on both ASL and English. He needs basic literacy, and he also needs expressive native sign language. Does he know Portuguese Sign? Is he educated a bit? (ie he's not one of those kids who have never attended school)
One option, (long shot but worth a try) is that maybe he could move to Michigan, and attend Michigan School for the Deaf. In Michigan he can attend school up to age 26. Also, you guys may want to contact American School for the Deaf in Hartford. They have the Adult Vocational Program. which includes vocational training and tutoring in ASL and English! http://www.asd-1817.org/page.cfm?p=1236

Hello everyone, :wave:

This is my first time starting a chat and I am excited to be part of this group!
I have a great appreciation for the Deaf community and I started taking ASL classes.

My younger brother is Deaf and is now attending the School for the Deaf. He started to learn ASL late in life and so have I. I hope that with him in school surrounded by students who sign to him will have him learn ASL quickly. He is 20 years old and do you all think he will learn ASL fluently? or myself? I really want to become fluent in ASL to be able to communicate with my brother better. I would love some advice.

Thank you for reading my note.
I hope to start some good conversations here.

I think you will both learn..like everything depends on desire..It usual for the deaf one and one other learn together and you doing that plenty of oppitunity..
You seem like good kind big sister you got no worries...I was 30 BSL that britsh all signing what ever country people much the same..I went to a NHS deaf rehab place we all took one other who be main other signer..It was not easy as I had a lot going on with my life and I did not go with any speed..
I fluent enough for my needs

Ohhhhhhhh..... That makes a lot of sense! Is he at Lexington School for the Deaf in NYC? If he's not currently there, I would contact them as they have an English as a Second Language program for immigrants.http://www.lexnyc.org/ Also, contact The Learning Center for Deaf Children in MA, as they are familiar with Portuguese Deaf students. (Framingham has a huge Brazillian population) http://www.tlcdeaf.org/
I would concentrate on both ASL and English. He needs basic literacy, and he also needs expressive native sign language. Does he know Portuguese Sign? Is he educated a bit? (ie he's not one of those kids who have never attended school)
One option, (long shot but worth a try) is that maybe he could move to Michigan, and attend Michigan School for the Deaf. In Michigan he can attend school up to age 26. Also, you guys may want to contact American School for the Deaf in Hartford. They have the Adult Vocational Program. which includes vocational training and tutoring in ASL and English! http://www.asd-1817.org/page.cfm?p=1236

I am OVERWHELMED with your information and huge support. You have given me so much hope as I am anxious to find as much help there is out there for my brother. Thank you for providing all of the websites for me to do more research. Just a very sincere thank you to you.

I think you will both learn..like everything depends on desire..It usual for the deaf one and one other learn together and you doing that plenty of oppitunity..
You seem like good kind big sister you got no worries...I was 30 BSL that britsh all signing what ever country people much the same..I went to a NHS deaf rehab place we all took one other who be main other signer..It was not easy as I had a lot going on with my life and I did not go with any speed..
I fluent enough for my needs

Hello there : )
I so appreciate your input and help. You have been a big help just like me the big sister !!! :ty:

Hello :wave:
You are truly a wealth of information and I am so curious how long did it take you to find this information? And where/how did you go about finding all this?

deafdyke gave you a lot good advice , I don't think I can add anymore than that.

Hello :wave:
You are truly a wealth of information and I am so curious how long did it take you to find this information? And where/how did you go about finding all this?

Oh it didn't take me long at ALL. I know about the schools and programs, and the specifics for them..... Very easy. I knew that Lex has a English Language Learners program from Train Go Sorry. (a really good read about life at a deaf school) I knew about TLC being familair with Brazillian Deaf b/c I have a friend who used to work at TLC and she has some Deaf friends from Brazil. I knew about Michgian having a very high age out rate b/c I am familiar with special ed law. And I knew about the ASD program since it can be a good option for students who don't quite fit into other dhh postsecondary programs. (ie additional special needs, immgrants etc etc etc)

Oh it didn't take me long at ALL. I know about the schools and programs, and the specifics for them..... Very easy. I knew that Lex has a English Language Learners program from Train Go Sorry. (a really good read about life at a deaf school) I knew about TLC being familair with Brazillian Deaf b/c I have a friend who used to work at TLC and she has some Deaf friends from Brazil. I knew about Michgian having a very high age out rate b/c I am familiar with special ed law. And I knew about the ASD program since it can be a good option for students who don't quite fit into other dhh postsecondary programs. (ie additional special needs, immgrants etc etc etc)

Thank you for your recommendation on the book "Train Go Sorry." I will visit my local library to see if they have this book. I am also looking up on the web all of the information you gave me. Thanks for all of your help :)

Back