New to ASL looking for ASL friends

Teddy

Reaction score
Hi, I am a paramedic student who is trying to learn ASL. I know some sign language but I want to become fluent enough to be able to help the deaf or hard of hearing in my area. I am a volunteer firefighter first responder as well as about to be a paramedic. I want to be able to help the deaf and hard of hearing when I encounter them and am hoping to get some tips and hopefully a few friends on here as well. I am excited about my chance to help those who suffer from hearing problems in my community, as well as any other I may run into. Thank you for letting me be a part of this with you all and I hope to learn a lot from you. :)

:welcome:

(You might want to rephrase your statements about helping and suffering to come across less paternalistic.)

Hi, I am a paramedic student who is trying to learn ASL. I know some sign language but I want to become fluent enough to be able to help the deaf or hard of hearing in my area. I am a volunteer firefighter first responder as well as about to be a paramedic. I want to be able to help the deaf and hard of hearing when I encounter them and am hoping to get some tips and hopefully a few friends on here as well. I am excited about my chance to help those who suffer from hearing problems in my community, as well as any other I may run into. Thank you for letting me be a part of this with you all and I hope to learn a lot from you. :)

:welcome:

(You might want to rephrase your statements about helping and suffering to come across less paternalistic.)

Let the learning begin!! :P

Thanks for the welcome and in response to helping and suffering I used because a paramedic works on an ambulance and usually for me to be there they are suffering and I am helping. Sorry if you feel the words are hurtful that is not my intention. As a paramedic this is how I think and I inderstand your side but I also know that a paramedics job is to help those suffering. My job is to help people and if I cannot effectively communicate with a deaf or hard hearing person I cannot accurately do my job. I hope you understand what I am saying and I do apologize if I did offend anyone as that is not my goal.

Thanks for the welcome and in response to helping and suffering I used because a paramedic works on an ambulance and usually for me to be there they are suffering and I am helping. Sorry if you feel the words are hurtful that is not my intention. As a paramedic this is how I think and I inderstand your side but I also know that a paramedics job is to help those suffering. My job is to help people and if I cannot effectively communicate with a deaf or hard hearing person I cannot accurately do my job. I hope you understand what I am saying and I do apologize if I did offend anyone as that is not my goal.
I wasn't referring to someone needing an ambulance; I was referring to this:

". . . to help those who suffer from hearing problems…."

Ok I see what you mean, but in this field it's referred to as suffering from. It's a habit, it's not downgrading or judging it is a fact. I suffer from hypoglycemia as well as anxiety, it's used to describe problems that may make taking care of someone as needed more difficult. Like I said I'm not trying to offend anyone I'm using words to describe real world problems I face every day and I am sorry that I upset you .

welcome, Teddy

if you're here to learn - which means throwing away your HEARING perspective - than another thing to know is that by comparing issues such as the medical issue of hypoglycemia - to deaf is a bad comparison from a deaf perspective. Hypoglycemia is a medical issue; for many deaf and generally Deaf people <two other phrases to learn about - "deaf" and "Deaf"> - "deaf" is not a "hearing problem" - Hearing people and how they perceive deaf people - IS the problem.

also read up on "hearing privilege" - which you also demonstrate-

I wasn't referring to someone needing an ambulance; I was referring to this:

". . . to help those who suffer from hearing problems…."

Yeah that sound like being deaf or hoh is some kind of horrible disease we're stuffing from which is not true at all. I feel the OP should hang around for here awhile and see that there are a lot very capable deaf and hoh people here that are not suffering from this .

Ok I see what you mean, but in this field it's referred to as suffering from. It's a habit, it's not downgrading or judging it is a fact. I suffer from hypoglycemia as well as anxiety, it's used to describe problems that may make taking care of someone as needed more difficult. Like I said I'm not trying to offend anyone I'm using words to describe real world problems I face every day and I am sorry that I upset you .

Just trying to help you learn. :)

Suppose your patient was Hispanic and spoke no English, and you spoke no Spanish. Would you say that person suffers from being Hispanic?

I think the biggest handicap deaf and hoh people suffers from are hearing peoples that feel they need to rescue us all the time .

Wow glad medical professionals trying to learn how to care for their patients are so welcomed. This is the first group of "Deaf" people that's ever complained as this isn't the only site I'm on. I think I'll stick to the other sites where people appreciate what I'm trying to do instead of criticize everything I say. When I encounter someone who uses sign language and am unable to help them it frustrates me that I have not learned how to effectively communicate. I have not been met by such rude and hateful people as I have been on this site, I have been on a few other sites and even have some "Deaf" (although they told me they don't care if it's deaf or Deaf, the only people who care are those who are to stuck up to care about someone trying to learn). By suggestion of the Deaf and hoh on other sites I'm leaving this site. They recommend learning from people who actually respect what I am doing and they have offered to Skype and Zoom with me to help me learn. I just hope that you are never in need of an ambulance and find that there's no one who can help. You'd be surprised at the bad reviews I've heard on this site alone from the Deaf community. I had said several times before that I was not trying to cause conflict with anyone or hurt anyone's feelings. As to the comment I why hearing people feel they need to help the Deaf community, think of it from a paramedics perspective. You wouldn't understand until your at a wreck where three people in one car were Deaf and we had no idea what their main complaints were, or how to effectively let them know what was going on. Funny how the most hateful people are the ones you try to be able to help when they may be in that situation. My intention has never been to judge or criticize nor start an argument. I want to learn ASL and be able to help my patients. Wether it be suffering or whatever you want to call it the point is still the same, a person who cares about his patients and want to best understand how to help. I was really excited to find another site to communicate on but have been really disappointed instead. Like I said I'm used to the other sites that offer to help not judge, criticise everything you say, and make you feel as though what your doing is wrong (not sure how trying to be able to help all patients effectively is wrong but then again I will never understand some peoples perspectives on life).

Spanish is inherited or a regional language. You know what I am trying to say. Deaf and hoh can happen to anyone and is not always someone who was born that way. Sorry if you feel I am trying to offend you but I am not, I am trying I better understand how to help the people in my community.

Wow glad medical professionals trying to learn how to care for their patients are so welcomed. This is the first group of "Deaf" people that's ever complained as this isn't the only site I'm on. I think I'll stick to the other sites where people appreciate what I'm trying to do instead of criticize everything I say.
You are confusing teaching with complaining. I'm a hearing person who was a professional interpreter for many years. I have a degree in sign language interpreting. I'm trying to pass on to you what I learned in the classroom and through experience.

You state that you want to learn but you resist when others try to teach you.

Well, we tried.

When I encounter someone who uses sign language and am unable to help them it frustrates me that I have not learned how to effectively communicate. I have not been met by such rude and hateful people as I have been on this site, I have been on a few other sites and even have some "Deaf" (although they told me they don't care if it's deaf or Deaf, the only people who care are those who are to stuck up to care about someone trying to learn).
Wow! Just wow! Hateful? No way. Frustrated? Possibly because when they try to shed light on reality they are rebuffed.

When you enter another's world, no matter how well intentioned, you need to be willing to learn from those who live there.

By suggestion of the Deaf and hoh on other sites I'm leaving this site.
Sorry that you choose to do that. You could have learned much here, if you were willing.

They recommend learning from people who actually respect what I am doing and they have offered to Skype and Zoom with me to help me learn.
Well, respect goes both ways. Members here tried to explain to you how you could appear more respectful to them but you didn't get it.

I just hope that you are never in need of an ambulance and find that there's no one who can help. You'd be surprised at the bad reviews I've heard on this site alone from the Deaf community.
Really? I've never heard of any bad reviews. I wonder how that topic came up?

I had said several times before that I was not trying to cause conflict with anyone or hurt anyone's feelings.
That's why we tried to show you how you can do that. Isn't it better for us to inform you of potential pitfalls here rather than let you offend a deaf person in a real life situation?

As to the comment I why hearing people feel they need to help the Deaf community, think of it from a paramedics perspective. You wouldn't understand until your at a wreck where three people in one car were Deaf and we had no idea what their main complaints were, or how to effectively let them know what was going on.
Yes, I do understand. I'm sure it's just as bad if your patient is unconscious, or can't physically speak, or speaks a foreign language. You have a protocol for those instances.

Of course, if you can sign with deaf patients, that's a good thing.

Funny how the most hateful people are the ones you try to be able to help when they may be in that situation. My intention has never been to judge or criticize nor start an argument. I want to learn ASL and be able to help my patients. Wether it be suffering or whatever you want to call it the point is still the same, a person who cares about his patients and want to best understand how to help.
If that is your goal then you will ignore any personal slights you think you've endured. Believe me, I've been on the learning end of the stick. I learned it's not about me or my feelings--it's about results.

I was really excited to find another site to communicate on but have been really disappointed instead. Like I said I'm used to the other sites that offer to help not judge, criticise everything you say, and make you feel as though what your doing is wrong (not sure how trying to be able to help all patients effectively is wrong but then again I will never understand some peoples perspectives on life).
I made one suggestion. You could have accepted it, then we could move on to further teaching and learning. However, you chose to argue the point, for whatever reason, and this is what results.

I hope you decide to stay, and we can start afresh.

Spanish is inherited or a regional language. You know what I am trying to say. Deaf and hoh can happen to anyone and is not always someone who was born that way. Sorry if you feel I am trying to offend you but I am not, I am trying I better understand how to help the people in my community.
Just wanted you to understand that for Hispanic people, Spanish is their language, and they don't consider it to be like a disease. For Deaf people (in America), ASL is their language, and they don't consider it to be like a disease either. They aren't suffering from signing.

Now, that's straightened out and we can move on.

Did you know that there's a thread here specifically for members who want to Skype and practice with each other? You might find that useful.

In conjunction with your learning the language, it would be very useful to read up on Deaf culture and history. That would give you insight into how to improve your interactions with each other. For example, one cultural aspect is bluntness of communication. ASL users are more direct in their communications and don't dance around a point.

Teddy, I don't believe you. Anything said to you here was very mild. If you had actually encountered anybody Deaf, they would have been much more harsh.

If you are really interested, why not seek out a local deaf center, and interact in the flesh?

Not sure where you are from, but sometimes basic ASL to s taught to firefighters , paramedics, and police just for these interactions.

Back