New to all of this

No- I have damage to my facial nerve as well that has caused facial paralysis. That's proving to be easier to deal with. The docs say the facial paralysis is likely temporary.

Check out the Deaf Culture forum, late deafened thread. You will find many who have gone through what you are going through and can address your many questions with both experience and information.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Just enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Lauren while a bright flashing alarm clock may help when you are awake Id think of getting one that vibrates for when you are asleep :)

I was late deafened as well...I have the sonicboom sweetheart alarmclock that flashes, makes noise and vibrates..I just use the vibrate and the flash is automatic...I also use note takers for some classes which would be very beneficial for you since you don't use hearing aids. I would definitely look into things for the doorbell and your fire alarm. They can be hooked to a stroke light and or vibrate around your house. A vibrating watch if you use an alarm on your watch.

Smoke and CO Detectors - Shop Photoelectric and Ionization Emergency Devices for Hearing Impaired Products for Deaf, Hard of Hearing and Sign Language
Notification Systems for Signaling - Shop Signaling Systems for Hearing Impaired from Sonic Alert, Silent Call, Ultratec Products for Deaf, Hard of Hearing and Sign Language
Vibrating Alarm Watches | Vibrating Watches for Deaf and Hearing Impaired Products for Deaf, Hard of Hearing and Sign Language

Lauren while a bright flashing alarm clock may help when you are awake Id think of getting one that vibrates for when you are asleep :)

Yes, and they have alarm clocks that also hook up to your phone too. If they hook up to phones I'm almost certain that they can hook up to TTYs also. So that way you have the option to have your bed shake and/or lamp flash if you get an important call.

Welcome to AD! :)

Hey everyone,

New 19 yr old chick from NYC here. I actually just lost my hearing a few weeks back when I suffered pretty bad damage to the cochlear nerve in a car accident. I'm completely deaf. I'm doing well, but this is quite an adjustment.

While obviously the communication issues are a real challenge, emotionally I'm having a tough time coping with missing the regular, arbitrary sounds in life - Like running water, the engine of a car, etc. I'm expecting the sounds to be there, but of course they are not. I am also finding that I'm lacking confidence when speaking, even though I know I probably sound fine. I'm talking less and less just because I have no idea what I sound like. I'm starting ASL classes (along with my family and some close friends) at the end of next week. I know that learning ASL will be a big help. For now, I'm trying to read lips (so much tougher than it seems) and using pad/paper.

I have a ton of questions, and am really looking for others who have been in a similar situation and who are close to me in age.

-Lauren

:wave:

I work in downtown NYC. Feel free to contact me if you and your family ever need advice.

Where are you taking ASL classes? Are you considering cochlear implant?

Welcome Lauren!

Welcome to this world of beautiful language and uninterrupted sleep! There are silver lining to everything, and it can be so much worse than be deaf! It's a beautiful community. My advice - get involved in it. Go deaf socials, join deaf club.

Vibrate better than lights when sleeping. Doorbell flashers important. Someone post here about a phone with data only plan but only for Deafies. It seem like good deal.

-Sunny

Thanks! I'm coming to realize that it's not the end of the world, but just a different world.

You're so right about the technology. I just actually switched my phone to text/data only, and am getting used to watching TV with captions, etc.

Welcome Lauren!

Welcome to this world of beautiful language and uninterrupted sleep! There are silver lining to everything, and it can be so much worse than be deaf! It's a beautiful community. My advice - get involved in it. Go deaf socials, join deaf club.

Vibrate better than lights when sleeping. Doorbell flashers important. Someone post here about a phone with data only plan but only for Deafies. It seem like good deal.

-Sunny

Second getting involved in the Deaf community. They "took me in." You'll meet some kind people.

Thanks! I'm coming to realize that it's not the end of the world, but just a different world.

You're so right about the technology. I just actually switched my phone to text/data only, and am getting used to watching TV with captions, etc.

I am glad to see you are taking your first steps in adjusting..It is never easy. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks so much everyone. It's really great to know that there is such a good, caring support group out there. It makes the adjustment sooooo much easier. I'm slowly but surely starting to accept this reality and focus on getting on with life.

Wirelessly posted

how badly damaged cochlea is? Asking because of cochlear implant and there is brainstem implant too that skip the cochlea and put sound awareness in hearing nerve itself

Hi everyone! Just a quick update. I am now back at school and its going relatively well. The adjustment is definitely proving to be difficult but I have been really surprised at how accepting and helpful people are. The assistance that school is giving me is great. ASL is also coming along, and I am learning slowly but surely. My lipreading skills are also improving, though it's still pretty difficult.

Socially, my friends are being amazing with helping me thru my transition, and I'm trying to live college life the way I did before. I'm going to try to come online to this site more often now that I'm all settled in. Hope everyone is doing great!

-Lauren

Hi Everyone,

Just posting a quick update - everything is going well and my asl is improving every day, as i learn more and more. Lip reading is also getting much easier and I am gradually getting used to my new circumstances. Many of the typical social situations that happen in college are harder than they used to be, but i am finding it's not impossible either. I've been really busy with school work and I am definitely staying active.

hope everyone is well!

-Lauren

Glad all is well and pls to come back to visit us!

Hi Everyone!

It's been awhile since I've been here; I hope you are all doing great!

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have officially survived my first semester back at college (University of Michigan) since becoming deaf. It has definitely been a whirlwind of a semester, but it's over and I survived. I did decently grade-wise I think... They definitely slipped, but I think that is to be expected considering my life went a complete 180 degree turn a few months ago when I lost my hearing.

While I'm still definitely not embracing life without my hearing, I guess I'm dealing with it pretty well. For the most part, I rely on lipreading and writing things down, and I'm basically voice off. Now that winter break is here, I hope to devote more time to continuing to learn and practice my ASL... It was just so hard to devote the time I need to it during the regular semester. I know it's going to be essential to me. Socially, my friends have been amazing in helping me cope and adjust.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you all an update. I hope everyone has an amazing holiday season!

-Lauren

Hi Everyone!

It's been awhile since I've been here; I hope you are all doing great!

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have officially survived my first semester back at college (University of Michigan) since becoming deaf. It has definitely been a whirlwind of a semester, but it's over and I survived. I did decently grade-wise I think... They definitely slipped, but I think that is to be expected considering my life went a complete 180 degree turn a few months ago when I lost my hearing.

While I'm still definitely not embracing life without my hearing, I guess I'm dealing with it pretty well. For the most part, I rely on lipreading and writing things down, and I'm basically voice off. Now that winter break is here, I hope to devote more time to continuing to learn and practice my ASL... It was just so hard to devote the time I need to it during the regular semester. I know it's going to be essential to me. Socially, my friends have been amazing in helping me cope and adjust.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you all an update. I hope everyone has an amazing holiday season!

-Lauren

Boy does that bring back memories of when I started college and was learning ASL at the same time. I requested interpreter for all of my classes even though I was very new, the interpreters would mouth the words as they sign so I got more from the interested than just trying to lip read some guy walking back and forth in the front of the classroom. My point? Even if you only know a tiny bit of ASL, request an ASL interpreter and tell the terp you are a new signer and do a lot of lip reading.

Back